Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats should retire the number 14 forever.
If ever a club had a number to retire for good it's Selwood.
I know where you're coming from however #5 has a storied history and it hasn't been retired. I also don't think retiring the number is something Selwood would want. I like to think he'd enjoy seeing it out on the ground on the back of the next generation. Seems in keeping with the man to me.

#14 will now go down in Geelong folklore just like #5.

"Rest" #14 for a season or 2 and then get it back out there.

I know where you're coming from however #5 has a storied history and it hasn't been retired. I also don't think retiring the number is something Selwood would want. I like to think he'd enjoy seeing it out on the ground on the back of the next generation. Seems in keeping with the man to me.

#14 will now go down in Geelong folklore just like #5.

"Rest" #14 for a season or 2 and then get it back out there.

I think resting it is a good compromise. It's just a huge amount of expectation to put on a kid for me. Especially if we manage to get Jhye Clark,whose game has already been compared to Selwoods and who we would get with pick 7...To then give him number 14 is, i think, way too much pressure.

Joel Selwood
Started as a champ in his first season
Played like a champ for 16 seasons
Retired as champ with 4th premiership
Inspirational leader, Never say Die attitude.
Gave everything he had every game.
Set the standard for GFC club culture
Class act on and off the field.
Certified GFC Legend.

Would make a great club player manager

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today I can't find the words to express my gratitude to this exquisite player and human being.

Felt there was symbolism in the "Skip" handing his boots to the kid when he received his premiership medallion.

I really hope "Hock" gets off his rear and finds an off-field role for him so he isn't lost to the club.

The day was coming but it was always going to be hard. They’d better lock him in a role down there - he and Daisy would be a powerhouse team and I couldn’t stand to see him in other colours. Thanks for everything Skip ❤️

How have the club not uploaded the press conference yet? Are they working with dial-up down there? Have tears shorted out the keyboard?
I know they live-streamed it on their website, same as the AFL did. I don't think press conferences are preserved in any official manner. They get turned into news stories on the TV and then become dust in the wind.
The 7 and 9 feeds are still up on Twitter if you can find them, and it appears Kayo has the whole presser as a separate video now, but how long those stay up is anyone's guess.

Brilliant footballer, brilliant teammate, brilliant human being, what more can be said. I think Selwood left us with an unintentional lesson at that press conference. Ladies and Gentlemen, find yourself a partner who speaks about you the way Selwood speaks about Hawkins.

What a pleasure it has been to follow this bloke's footballing journey. From gun draftee in his first season to end up as a premiership player, to become the greatest on-field leader in the history of this club, and rounding things out with the most emphatic premiership you can imagine. The only way he deserved to go out.

Thank you for all you have done for this great club, legend.

I'm not going to lie I've shed a tear or two.

As equally brilliant a person as he was a footballer.

He's irreplaceable.

Without his contributions to this great club we wouldn't be in the position we're in. Not only has he been a huge factor in how the culture and standards of the club have changed, he's also played a huge role in how our players are as humans and how they present themselves in society.

A very sad day.

Joel redefined what it meant to be a player and captain at the Geelong Footy Club.

We were lucky enough to have two fantastic captains before him with Harley and Ling... but I don't think they left as much of a mark as this man did.

But I think it's what he's done off the field that's been the most impressive part. Obviously his incredible acts of kindness on the weekend have been well-documented, but I doubt we'll ever fully realise just how much work in the community and for the club he did.

That for me is what separates him from the other captains and greats of the Cats.

Can't believe it's done, but it's a fitting end for a giant of the game.
I was thinking of posting something like this in the I was wrong thread. I've had my doubt about him as a captain, especially when the team seemed to be underperforming or ill-disciplined. I frame of reference for a captain is a more vocal, overtly demanding sort of leader. He was too much of a set an example type. I was wrong about that quality as being a bad captain.
From the stories that have come out over the past few years, and the way the club presented, it is clear that he has had a massive positive impact on the club and its culture. All through his example.
I've played on teams that had that combination of qualities: character, cohesion, mateship, and ability. When you have those, it is magic.

Joel is a massive reason the Cats are like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back