Injury Joey's 'string: "its worse than a traditional hamstring."

Is Joey's body telling him he's finished?

• Yep. The bell has tolled.

Votes: 51 87.9%
  • He'll back back.

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

"St Kilda GM Football Performance Jamie Cox says the club will have a clearer idea of Leigh Montagna’s return date in the coming weeks after he strained his hamstring on Saturday night.

With five games remaining in the home and away season, the 33-year-old is facing a race against the clock to return before the Saints year draws to a close.

“‘Joey’ suffered a hamstring strain in the third quarter on Saturday night but it doesn’t require surgery so it will be rehabbed with the diligence that he does everything with,” Cox told saints.com.au on Tuesday night.

“We don’t have an exact return date at this stage but it’s slightly worse than a traditional hamstring."

Sounds awfully ominous at 33...

Not that it's necessarily relevant to his prognosis per se, but he did seem have a good look around as the side trudged off on Saturday night. Maybe he already knew this year was it?

I hope he'll get up for Round 23 against Richmond. Not sure how good a "healer" he is but hopefully a month is enough to get him out there for us one last time (barring an unlikely finals appearance). Have long been a big fan of Joey so I really hope he doesn't finish this way..

Jeez it's sad. He's copped it a lot over the last year or two from supporters on here and Facebook, quite often see a lot of disrespectful posts towards him, of course that's just people's opinions. Fingers crossed it's only 3-4 weeks and he can have a final game in Round 23 (or be back for finals if we make it), assuming that he won't go on again next year. Has had a great career.

Joey on Triple M this morning says he'll need five weeks to recover, so his only chance of playing again this year is finals... Also admitted he felt "sentimental" walking off the SCG.

That might be it :(

I think everybody that knows stkilda thought it could well be the end when they saw it. Happened just in front of me and it was my first thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ who's the one that thinks he will go on next year?

I do.

Roo and Dempster both out this year. I think Richo will want Joey to go around one more time, even if his spot inst 100% locked in after the trade/draft period.

I do.

Roo and Dempster both out this year. I think Richo will want Joey to go around one more time, even if his spot inst 100% locked in after the trade/draft period.
I reckon Roo's more of a chance to go on now.

Joey was still playing good footy, but Roo was still a matchwinner on his day.

Frankly I believe neither will play on.

2018 Round One;

FB: Geary - Brown - Webster
HB: Newnes - Carlisle - Roberton
RK: Longer - Stevens - Ross
CR: Sinclair - Steven - Kelly*
HF: Billings - McCartin - Membrey
FF: Gresham - Bruce - Marshall
IC: Steele Savage Dunstan Acres

Last edited:
2018 Round One;

FB: Geary - Brown - Webster
HB: Newnes - Carlisle - Roberton
RK: Longer - Stevens - Ross
CR: Sinclair - Steven - Kelly*
HF: Gresham - McCartin - Membrey
FF: Weller - Bruce - Marshall
IC: Stevens Savage Dunstan Acres

I do.

We don't need Joey next year there is plenty of experience still in this squad going forward.
Joey has been a bit of a liability this year with his floating high kicks down the line.
Been a good servant but time is up.
Let the experienced Armo, Stuv, Brown, Geary, Carlisle and Savage etc lead the new guys.

Back