Moved Thread John Longmire vs Chris Scott - the better coach?

Who is the better coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Two of the best coaches in the game, with a lot of similarities between the two.

Both started coaching in 2011.
Both have won 131 games in 8 years at the helm.
Both have won a premiership.
Both cop a fair amount of critisism from their own club's supporters, which is surprising given how good their records are.
Both have made 4 preliminary finals.
Head to head between the two is Longmire 8 wins - Scott 7 wins.
Scott's overall winning percentage is 69.47%
Longmire's overall winning percentage is 67.35%
Longmire has never missed the finals, while Scott has only missed the finals once.

In my opinion it's hard to split the two, who do you think is a better coach and why?

Two of the best coaches in the game, with a lot of similarities between the two.

Both started coaching in 2011.
Both have won 131 games in 8 years at the helm.
Both have won a premiership.
Both cop a fair amount of critisism from their own club's supporters, which is surprising given how good their records are.
Both have made 4 preliminary finals.
Head to head between the two is Longmire 8 wins - Scott 7 wins.
Scott's overall winning percentage is 69.47%
Longmire's overall winning percentage is 67.35%
Longmire has never missed the finals, while Scott has only missed the finals once.

In my opinion it's hard to split the two, who do you think is a better coach and why?
175066_d23b9b4a780fc53d7ac938f4d1de486a.jpg

I’m a big skeptic of Horse. Next year is going to be interesting; he has no choice but to have full confidence in his youth. Can he finally grow the balls to drop Jack flat out, and maybe even transition McVeigh and Grundy out?

He really struggled to drop Rohan and Hannebery these last two seasons, and he loved to persist with an underdone Tippett before his retirement too. I’m not a big fan of the way he used Dawson or Robinson either. For a team so lacking in inside mids and quality depth to not give those two guys decent minutes in the guts which would also let Parker rest forward where he excels is just so baffling to me.

His job will be safe and it probably should be but I’d like to see him take a few more risks and be a bit more bold with his selection and tactical choices. And please play Buddy further up the ground where he can make use of his speed agility and kicking more. It’s a lot easier to stifle Buddy when he’s parked inside forward fifty, but with Naismith coming back Horse should have Mccartin(looks like a future star), Reid and Sinclair as options to line up at full forward.

Longmire has made more grand finals. Should have done better than they did in them too so have to give the nod to him.

Scott can coach but is very frustrating and needs a shake up from our admin but they seem very uninterested in doing that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Swans will get another top 5 pick this year. That is 3 in 5 years, despite making grand finals and finals. The Swans will always be thereabouts. Great gig for any coach.

But i would still prefer Longmire coaching my team over Scott.

Both similar.

In terms of every time the camera goes on them, they both have their mouths wide open in disgust & horror.
I’d rather see passion and emotion in my coach than blank indifference. I like Adam Simpson but it’s like he is scared to show any emotion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myth: Chris Scott was gifted a flag.

Find me ONE pundit who thought they were anything but over the hill when Collingwood smoked them in 2010 PF + Ablett leaving on top of that.

Quick google shows Geelong clearly backed as the second best team in the comp before the season so im not sure what your going on about

I’d rather see passion and emotion in my coach than blank indifference. I like Adam Simpson but it’s like he is scared to show any emotion

I'd rather a coach in control than a raving sook. Everyone makes a joke about it every time he opens that gob with that look of utter amazement. Simpson never loses focus. Scott jumps around the box like a cat on a hotplate.

Myth: Chris Scott was gifted a flag.

Find me ONE pundit who thought they were anything but over the hill when Collingwood smoked them in 2010 PF + Ablett leaving on top of that.

Fair comparison, but Horse has made 3 GFs to Scott's 1. They were KINDA robbed against the Dogs too. So I'm going with Horse.

Not a myth. Even Gary Lyon could’ve coached that Geelong team to a flag, that’s how good the Cats were.

And a prediction: Chris Scott will NEVER coach to another winning GF.

Horse imo is easily the better of the two, but even his time as coach seems to be running out.

Quick google shows Geelong clearly backed as the second best team in the comp before the season so im not sure what your going on about

Quick google search actually sees Geelong were 4th in line in betting for the flag in the 2011 pre-season behind Collingwood, St.Kilda and Hawthorn.

Has Longmire made a coaching move since 2011?

The Swans are a great set up, they recruit brilliantly and develop players really well and win a lot of games. Longmire regenerated the Roos version of the Swans with slick counter attacking footy but since then they've just defended deeper and deeper as the midfield starts to weaken and it makes life very hard on their forwards. If Longmire doesn't make some changes soon then it's time to question whether another coach can keep the same development and culture and add some match day tactics.

Scott isn't without his own issues. Hasn't had a settled line up or game plan for a long time. Seems to be the new Terry Wallace who can win any game against any opponent with tactics but can't create a great side. He has a bit of a tough job trying to win whilst also needing to develop a lot of youth but his recent finals record has been quite poor.

I'd say it's a case of both good coaches at good clubs attempting difficult rebuilds on the run but both have some room for improvement.

ummm cola
Ok answer this question honestly

If you had the choice between your players getting cola - and sydney levels of out of football money

Or no cola and gfc levels of money earned outside of footy.

What would you take?

Quick reminder. Cats smashed by Colingwood in PF. Cats game plan ridiculed. Media declares Geelong "too old and too slow". Coach quits. Cats' No. 1 player and the No.1 player in the AFL walks out...….can't see how anyone could have backed Cats as 2nd best team coming into 2011, unless rewriting history

Last edited:
Back