Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

he had a bit of speed as a junior, but he was 10 kgs lighter, he seemed to have questionable endurance as a junior and i hear him in interviews talking about injuries, so he's always been struggling with injuries it seems,

- always had average fitness/endurance even as a junior
- injury and weight gain has affected his speed
- never had elite disposal, but has a good kick in space
- always had poor defensive abilities, he even admitted this in a pre-draft interview
- very awkward mover on the field, probably why he has such poor evasive skills
- no x-factor

this guy is a bust as far as i can see...

Don't make stuff up. Endurance has never been his problem, he's been thereabouts in our time trials when fit ever since he came to the club and tested well as a junior.

He was a very good youngster, he's had a lot of injuries and has now lost faith in his body. That's the short and skinny of it.

Hamstring injuries unfortunately limit your agility, burst speed and kicking penetration - especially when they're at the level Jono has had. They also somewhat limit your ability to work on your defensive game because if you chase or go hard for a tackle you'll always have that thought of pinging a hammy in your mind.

He's had a good run, and will probably get delisted, but that's no reason to pot a guy on his talent when we never got to see enough of him unhindered by injury.

I think the time is up for JOR, he's had 4 years at the club now and is yet a find a place in our best 22. He's in now 24 and I just don't think he has that potential intriguing X factor worth persisting with.

There’s a good chance he could be delisted and then re-drafted in the rookie draft to free up an additional spot on the senior list.

If he'd had knee troubles, I could see this happening, but it seems like clubs just see hamstrings as one of those injuries that you can't really get back to 100% from.

Even Cyril was only 60-80% of the player he could have been if his hamstrings held up.

If you want to be successful post hamstring troubles you either have to be a freak (Rioli) or be dual sided and have a freak football brain (Sam Mitchell).

Don't make stuff up. Endurance has never been his problem, he's been thereabouts in our time trials when fit ever since he came to the club and tested well as a junior.

He was a very good youngster, he's had a lot of injuries and has now lost faith in his body. That's the short and skinny of it.

Hamstring injuries unfortunately limit your agility, burst speed and kicking penetration - especially when they're at the level Jono has had. They also somewhat limit your ability to work on your defensive game because if you chase or go hard for a tackle you'll always have that thought of pinging a hammy in your mind.

He's had a good run, and will probably get delisted, but that's no reason to pot a guy on his talent when we never got to see enough of him unhindered by injury.

My understanding is that O'Rourke simply ran a lot of his opponents into the ground at U-18 level, and that caught the eye of recruiters in the lead-up to his draft. But he's been plagued by hamstring injuries since before he was even drafted (missed most of 2011 due to a hamstring injury).

My understanding is that O'Rourke simply ran a lot of his opponents into the ground at U-18 level, and that caught the eye of recruiters in the lead-up to his draft. But he's been plagued by hamstring injuries since before he was even drafted (missed most of 2011 due to a hamstring injury).

Yeah he was, he and Whitfield were the two highest work rate players in that 2012 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed in the game our mids jacked it forward almost exclusively. They never used outside runners to move the ball forward. Is this the normal way we play at box hill in those conditions?
Isn't this generally the wet weather mantra - "Get it forward!". I definitely think this was a deliberate choice on the weekend, particularly in finals intensity footy.

It definitely made sense to me with the huge amount of little skill errors that were occurring. It looked at stages that the ball was like a piece of soap. It's not that he runs any less when he has it, it's that he doesn't get it as often as there's too much risk of an unclear possession with short, sharp handballs out of the pack to a runner.

I noticed in the game our mids jacked it forward almost exclusively. They never used outside runners to move the ball forward. Is this the normal way we play at box hill in those conditions?
Yes its more about taking ground rather than running it its the reason miles was also quiet. U get it and kick it forward. Game of territory

Edit smart wet weather football

He gets tagged pretty heavily in the VFL. Something I noticed in the game against Casey particularly, was constantly held on to.
He wasn't tagged against Port. It was a very congested game with a slippery pill and he was quiet like a few.

Hard to see him holding his place on the list.

you're wrong, but thats ok...

you're wrong, but thats ok...

Well I'm not wrong as he was top 5 in the beep test results for his draft year, and has been top 6 in our time trial since 2016.

"He is a smart midfielder who kicks it well, has clean hands, and the ability to do his best work late in games due to his endurance." - Kevin Sheehan

"As a junior with the Calder Cannons, O'Rourke was a skilled midfielder with good pace, who could win the ball at stoppages and spread hard into open space." - AFL Website

Maybe at vfl level but I would hate to see it at afl level in anything short of torrential rain.
The melbourne game took possession football out of it. Wet weather football is always about meterage as the game is more contested and its hard to get clean possession. You end up making fewer mistakes and if u do make a mistake its far enough away to not cost u dearly. Bigger bodies throwing their weight around and moving the ball forward

He gets tagged pretty heavily in the VFL. Something I noticed in the game against Casey particularly, was constantly held on to.

Yeah but guys like Cuz are getting 30+ regularly and getting tags too, no?

Expect JOR, like Woody is another one that injuries prevented them ever getting a proper crack at their AFL dream.

Will be interested to see what he does next year.

I thought he was OK in the games he played at AFL level this year, but instead of going back and dominating at VFL he seems to just be playing with no confidence. He was almost non-existent today and when you look at Cousins you just get the feeling O'Rourke is a million miles off it.

I wouldn't be betting on him being on the list next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back