Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance of a delist and keep as a rookie? Feel we started to finally fix his hammies this year - unfortunately picked up another injury when he got an afl game.

Every nowand then does a burst or move out of a pack that screams elite but can’t keep it up and his kicking has really fallen away.

Was still picked ahead of cousins and Lovell this year and from my limited box hill watching appeared to be the player who was always tagged.

I just don't see why we would bother. No doubt he has some talent, which is why he teases, but his body just doesn't let him display 100% of it ever. Delist for mine and wish him well.

I just don't see why we would bother. No doubt he has some talent, which is why he teases, but his body just doesn't let him display 100% of it ever. Delist for mine and wish him well.
Guess it depends what the last spot of list looks like - if we’ve delisted a lot of experience and the choice is rookie pick 60 vs JOR he could get a shot. We had a pretty great run of injury with Mitchell, JOM and shiels playing most games this year. If 2 or three were injured JOR would be a good chance to get a lot of games.

Guess it depends what the last spot of list looks like - if we’ve delisted a lot of experience and the choice is rookie pick 60 vs JOR he could get a shot. We had a pretty great run of injury with Mitchell, JOM and shiels playing most games this year. If 2 or three were injured JOR would be a good chance to get a lot of games.

That's my issue though. His body will not let him play a lot of games.

Better to use the pick and hopefully pick up a rookie gem, for mine.

Thought he was pretty good inside the contest today. interesting to see if he is delisted or kept for backup

Absolutely, won a fair bit of contested footy today, tackled hard and finds ways to open up the play with his composure and use of handball.

We would be mad to cut him now when he finally has his body right, I mean we are struggling for midfield depth right.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely, won a fair bit of contested footy today, tackled hard and finds ways to open up the play with his composure and use of handball.

We would be mad to cut him now when he finally has his body right, I mean we are struggling for midfield depth right.

Struggling for midfield depth cause guys like O'rourke haven't stepped up to the required standard.

Thought he was okay today - relatively clean and seemed to make good options. Did more than cousins and lovell and was prob best of our mids.

A few times burst through with pace but either fluffed the kick or opponent pushed him off balance - if he gets that right he would look a whole lot better.

Looks more like an afl mid than cousins, lovell, howe etc so interesting list management decisions coming up.

Thought he was okay today - relatively clean and seemed to make good options. Did more than cousins and lovell and was prob best of our mids.

A few times burst through with pace but either fluffed the kick or opponent pushed him off balance - if he gets that right he would look a whole lot better.

Looks more like an afl mid than cousins, lovell, howe etc so interesting list management decisions coming up.

Man, are you gonna get flamed. He was held all day at the ball ups. Pitt tapped perfectly to him but JOR was tackled before he even received the ball. The opposition just sat on him. Even allowing for that I thought he looked the best of our mids. Now I'm gonna' get flamed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the same.
If all the mids for Box Hill Jonno looked the likely one to do something. Always at the contest, always getting the release handball out.
Now that his body is right he should be put back into some sprint work over the summer & really push hard for a wing/mid rotation with Shiels. They would complement each other nicely.
Saying this though I still think he has the capacity to go to another level & start getting more uncontested possessions orotund the ground with his work rate if he demanded the ball more.
That would be my knock on him after today’s game in that he isn’t attacking enough if he isnt playing inside.

Last edited:
I thought the same.
If all the mids for Box Hill Jonno looked the likely one to do something. Always at the contest, always getting the release handball out.
Now that his body is right he should be put back into some sprint work over the summer & really push hard for a wing/mid rotation with Shiels. They would compliment each other nicely.
Saying this though I still think he has the capacity to go to another level & start getting more uncontested possessions orotund the ground with his work rate if he demanded the ball more.
That would be my knock on him after today’s game in that he isn’t attacking enough if he isnt playing inside.

Spot on I would've loved to see him get some more ball on the outside and run and carry.

I still think he can be an important role player, should be eyeing off Hendersons wing.

Some just need more time to get the body right, I see him similar to James Aish who has also had injury issues but now playing a role for the Pies.

Spot on I would've loved to see him get some more ball on the outside and run and carry.

I still think he can be an important role player, should be eyeing off Hendersons wing.

Some just need more time to get the body right, I see him similar to James Aish who has also had injury issues but now playing a role for the Pies.

He's a bit of a plodder, though. Doesn't look quick.

Will be touch and go if he stays on the list, but can imagine the club showing the faith.

Man, are you gonna get flamed. He was held all day at the ball ups. Pitt tapped perfectly to him but JOR was tackled before he even received the ball. The opposition just sat on him. Even allowing for that I thought he looked the best of our mids. Now I'm gonna' get flamed.
It seems the opposition tag him first in the box hill midfield.

Yeah. For just about all of his career he has been bog average.

Watching him closely yesterday he was very good at the coal face. Getting first hands on the ball and delivering some nice handballs in close whilst under pressure. But he never really showed any burst of speed and his kicking was gruesome.

I just wonder if he lacks the confidence in his hamstrings to run at pace and put full effort into his kicking. He does have a football brain and I wonder if the club could do a Rioli with his hamstrings. With confidence in his body I believe he could be a reasonable player. But how long do you give him?

Unless the medical and psychology staff can turn him into a player of confidence then his future is in real doubt.

It seems the opposition tag him first in the box hill midfield.

Happens every week. Would be fantastic if he learned to shake it.

Yeah. For just about all of his career he has been bog average.

Watching him closely yesterday he was very good at the coal face. Getting first hands on the ball and delivering some nice handballs in close whilst under pressure. But he never really showed any burst of speed and his kicking was gruesome.

I just wonder if he lacks the confidence in his hamstrings to run at pace and put full effort into his kicking. He does have a football brain and I wonder if the club could do a Rioli with his hamstrings. With confidence in his body I believe he could be a reasonable player. But how long do you give him?

Unless the medical and psychology staff can turn him into a player of confidence then his future is in real doubt.

He's a smart player but it's obvious he's lost a lot of confidence in his ability. There were moments when he played AFL where he had the ball in a good position and went to burst run off, and hesitated as though if he ran harder he'd tear a hammy. He also had moments where he could chase but didn't want to exert that last bit of effort just in case.

It's all in the head I think, if another off-season can help him regain some confidence in his legs he's worth retaining. We've already had a few players retire, and we'll likely shed a couple of our 30ish players - Heatherley and Willsmore looking like they're certainties to be delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back