Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you support WA3 team or just stay with the Blues?
As I've said in this thread. I'd likely buy season tickets just to be able to get to the footy a bit more. I'd never give up the Blues but would likely take to them as a strong second team, which would be easy given i despise about 80% of the AFL teams. So they'd be very easy to barrack for.

Imagine getting to boo St Kilda, North, Essendon, Richmond, West Coast, Freo, Adelaide, Port etc on a regular basis - it would be a glorious thing to be a part of.

Last edited:
Hence the stupidity of looking at population.

Population has to be taken in context.

As i said, doesn't matter if there are a billion campaigners in Sydney or Brisbane, they're not going to the footy.

Hello, there's a lot of Australian Rules Football in Sydney. The question is can we expand on that.

Of course, but I reckon a high proportion would support Fremantle.
Wouldn't matter if 100% of falcon fans followed an AFL club.
The younger generation is less likely to support a WAFL team than us oldies.

A third WA team would be half the size of a Fremantle and would need to be supported by the AFL like St Kilda and North Melbourne.

A third WA team would be half the size of a Fremantle and would need to be supported by the AFL like St Kilda and North Melbourne.

Then there's no point to WA3.
WA3 doesn't grow the product much and playing out of Perth Stadium would incur large losses.

The issue is there are 10 teams in Vic so 4 miss out and are only viable when they are good onfield. 500K per team in a footy state just works but it should probably be 600-800K minimum. Eventually population growth will catch up but you can't keep just adding teams forever.

The problem in Melbourne is NOT too many teams but rather DISTRIBUTION of support.
That wont be helped by population increase because everything is relative.
WA could easily handle another considering the waiting list at the Eagles.

WTF. We don't want another team with Eagles fans.

Especially if they just make it Perth or target North of the River considering Freo is mainly South.

Just where do think Eagles support comes from - North of the river.
If they did it within the next 3 years they might have a few WC members jumping ship based on where they are likely to be at with the rebuild.

As bad as eagles fans are, that isn't going to happen.

It's not so much Canberra vs Gold Coast but Canberra vs Tasmania. They seem to get more supporters but have there own issues. I don't think the AFL would want to have two more struggling teams, they might need to add a team with the best chance of succeeding over another low drawing team. An extra game should increase tv money which might offset the 1st team.

I would have thought Canberra could be in line for a big bash team first over an AFL team. Having uneven teams in that league won't matter due to the scheduling and shorter turn around.

If it's Canberra vs Tasmania, I think Canberra stacks up just as much. Canberra already has 85% more AFL fans than Hobart. Given our faster population growth, we'll probably have twice as many AFL fans as Hobart by the time Team 20 comes.

That's twice as many fans able to easily get to each game.

We also have a much larger economy, more disposable income. So more AFL fans than can get to each game, with more money to spend on tickets and merch.

We do also have a decently sized neutral population, so we have growth potential for the code. Every sports fan in Tasmania is already watching footy, it adds nothing but half an extra game. A Canberra team gives the AFL potential for more fans, and subsequently a greater talent pool down the line.

So, compared to Tasmania, Canberra has more AFL fans in the one city, more money, more potential. I don't see a Canberra team struggling.

In terms of a Big Bash team, I'd welcome that. Anything that leads to increased usage and an upgrade of Manuka Oval is good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL has Canberra eyed off as a potential relocation spot for a struggling Vic club. Look what they tried to do with North and Tasmania.

They won’t move GWS there, it’s Sydney or bust for them, but they’ll probably keep playing in Canberra until they get their own team or one is moved there.

Canberra Kangaroos - it makes so much sense.

Canberra is the capital and the Kangaroo is our national animal. Pefect match.

Blue and white are also part of the official colours of the city - they can add gold into the mix.

Only thing is that the club song is pretty Victorian in nature so as long as the Canberrans can accept that then all G.

Canberra Kangaroos - it makes so much sense.

Canberra is the capital and the Kangaroo is our national animal. Pefect match.

Blue and white are also part of the official colours of the city - they can add gold into the mix.

Only thing is that the club song is pretty Victorian in nature so as long as the Canberrans can accept that then all G.
They can always change the lyrics, like how West Perth and Norwood use the grand old flag songs but adjusted lyrically.

But yes, if ever a Vic club were to locate without it being jarring, this would be it, especially if they were smart enough to recruit some of BFs designers; some of the jumpers etc people come up with here are fantastic!

Basically what I am seeing from this thread is 'Perth resident on the Eagles waitlist for the last 4 years believe only 2 teams is fine in a city of 2 million.'

Thought this forum hated and dismissed social media for being irrational, yet parroting the same argument I see on social media?

The younger generation is less likely to support a WAFL team than us oldies.

In that case disband Eagles and re-brand Dockers. Won’t be popular and will never happen…. But anyways…

3 Teams

Fremantle Bull-Sharks representing East Fremantle, South Fremantle and Peel. Colours Purple (combo of blue and red), white and greenish teal..

Perth Falcons representing East Perth, West Perth and Perth. Royals jumper with red collars.

Subiaco Griffins representing Subiaco, Swan Districts and Claremont. Colours maroon, navy and white.

Basically what I am seeing from this thread is 'Perth resident on the Eagles waitlist for the last 4 years believe only 2 teams is fine in a city of 2 million.'

Thought this forum hated and dismissed social media for being irrational, yet parroting the same argument I see on social media?

The same principles would make it no issue to disband a group of Melbourne clubs and reallocate their fans so that all the clubs remaining are financially strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that case disband Eagles and re-brand Dockers. Won’t be popular and will never happen…. But anyways…

3 Teams

Fremantle Bull-Sharks representing East Fremantle, South Fremantle and Peel. Colours Purple (combo of blue and red), white and greenish teal..

Perth Falcons representing East Perth, West Perth and Perth. Royals jumper with red collars.

Subiaco Griffins representing Subiaco, Swan Districts and Claremont. Colours maroon, navy and white.
Fremantle United Dockers - Purple, White and Green

West City Royals - East Perth, Perth and Claremont

North Coast Falcons - West Perth, Swan, Subiaco

And also to add, if Eagles weren't developing Lathlain and have a reserves team based in Geraldton then Joondalup or WA3 have been a non-discussion, but guess it is.

And also to add, if Eagles weren't developing Lathlain and have a reserves team based in Geraldton then Joondalup or WA3 have been a non-discussion, but guess it is.
Got two questions for you.

1. Should Canberra have to wait another 30 years before they get a team?
2. If the answer is no, do you think there's going to be more than 20 teams before 2050?

The same principles would make it no issue to disband a group of Melbourne clubs and reallocate their fans so that all the clubs remaining are financial strong
Got two questions for you.

1. Should Canberra have to wait another 30 years before they get a team?
2. If the answer is no, do you think there's going to be more than 20 teams before 2050?
AFL tried that and didn't work.

No and Yes, more expansion discussions should happen when the League had its biggest season in a while.

If talent pool is legit the problem (which I don't think so) -> then drop the number of players on the field like the ladies do.

If you cant find fans -> build a marketing strategy.

They don’t need any more teams.
The talent pool is too thin.
This year is the perfect example with the 18 team comp.

Instead they should look to shed a team to accomodate Tassie which is a done deal.

Then invest more in grass roots and the development path as well as bringing kids from all of Australia into the game from a young age.

The reliance on Victorian kids in each years draft pool needs to be rectified.

AFL tried that and didn't work.

No and Yes, more expansion discussions should happen when the League had its biggest season in a while.

If talent pool is legit the problem (which I don't think so) -> then drop the number of players on the field like the ladies do.

If you cant find fans -> build a marketing strategy.

What's your reasoning for Perth 3 ahead of Canberra other than "the Eagles have a waiting list"?

They don’t need any more teams.
The talent pool is too thin.
This year is the perfect example with the 18 team comp.

Instead they should look to shed a team to accomodate Tassie which is a done deal.

Then invest more in grass roots and the development path as well as bringing kids from all of Australia into the game from a young age.

The reliance on Victorian kids in each years draft pool needs to be rectified.
Swear people think talent pool is this because they just miss old football.

What's your reasoning for Perth 3 ahead of Canberra other than "the Eagles have a waiting list"?
0) Waiting list is an issue, but not my main point.

1) To give more representation to Western and South Australia, strengthening established than building new markets.

2) Perth has the north, Adelaide has the south left for a third team to fully fill the gap.

3) Fans say lot of teams are in East Coast, things ain't gonna be different adding a new team on the east is it?

4) It's just Canberra doesn't seem possible when GWS branded them as 'Greater' Western Sydney that compromises that broad area.

0) Waiting list is an issue, but not my main point.

It's not like everybody on the waiting list would jump ship.

If somebody is that desperate for more footy, there's plenty of free seats every fortnight at a Freo game that already aren't being snapped up.

I saw this just this morning and I thought it was pretty relevant in a reddit post discussing the Eagles' waiting list.
Screenshot_20231104-065544_Reddit.jpg

1) To give more representation to Western and South Australia, strengthening established than building new markets.

Canberra's a "new" market only because we've been neglected. We were an established market, we were an Aussie Rules town, and we've been begging for a team for forty years and ignored. We might be a "new" market now, but we have the pre-existing support to become an established market again very quickly.

2) Perth has the north, Adelaide has the south left for a third team to fully fill the gap.

This seems irrelevant. All Perth and Adelaide teams play in the centre of their cities. Any new team would do the same. There isn't anybody in Perth or Adelaide rightfully feeling unrepresented in the AFL.

But a gap that does need to be filled is the national capital. Pretty weird for the national competition in the national code to not be represented in the national capital.

3) Fans say lot of teams are in East Coast, things ain't gonna be different adding a new team on the east is it?

The issue for fans isn't that there are too many on the East Coast, it's that there are too many in Victoria.

4) It's just Canberra doesn't seem possible when GWS branded them as 'Greater' Western Sydney that compromises that broad area.

That's not why they're called Greater Western Sydney. It's a pre-existing government term encompassing 13 LGAs to include the northwest and southwest who don't always associate with Western Sydney. It has absolutely nothing to do with Canberra.

The Giants don't represent Canberra any more than North represents Hobart.

It's not like everybody on the waiting list would jump ship.

If somebody is that desperate for more footy, there's plenty of free seats every fortnight at a Freo game that already aren't being snapped up.

I saw this just this morning and I thought it was pretty relevant in a reddit post discussing the Eagles' waiting list.
View attachment 1845910

Canberra's a "new" market only because we've been neglected. We were an established market, we were an Aussie Rules town, and we've been begging for a team for forty years and ignored. We might be a "new" market now, but we have the pre-existing support to become an established market again very quickly.

This seems irrelevant. All Perth and Adelaide teams play in the centre of their cities. Any new team would do the same. There isn't anybody in Perth or Adelaide rightfully feeling unrepresented in the AFL.

But a gap that does need to be filled is the national capital. Pretty weird for the national competition in the national code to not be represented in the national capital.

The issue for fans isn't that there are too many on the East Coast, it's that there are too many in Victoria.

That's not why they're called Greater Western Sydney. It's a pre-existing government term encompassing 13 LGAs to include the northwest and southwest who don't always associate with Western Sydney. It has absolutely nothing to do with Canberra.

The Giants don't represent Canberra any more than North represents Hobart.

0) Of course they'll want an Eagles membership when there is literally only 2 teams now in a city of 2 point something million, and if the issue has become has bad or even worse than it was then what are we going to do about it?

1) Never said Canberra wasn't an Australian rules state - but reinforcing the existing market in WA and SA which 2 teams that live for football is 1 short for demand.

2) Do realise Melbourne based clubs still have a bigger presence in one area over another. Victorians have them filled, Perth and Adelaide are little short.

3) As much as I agree of possibly relocating smaller clubs, the NRL is still suffering from joint ventures and mergers of clubs, and remember we tried plenty of times.

And lastly just in regards to Joondalup itself, if there are predominately British and South Africans living there, wouldn't that be an opportunity too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back