Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see the business case. There is nobody in Perth/WA that doesn't have an opportunity to get involved in football at the moment, there are no new eyeballs. The market is explored.

If it's going to cost the AFL/WAFC $25,000,000 a year then there has to be something coming back the other way - that's the reason GWS and GC exist. New markets, new eyeballs.

There's a strong possibility that a third club in either WA or SA actually costs more than the club needs to operate as it draws just enough fans from the lesser established team to make them unprofitable but not enough to make the new club profitable.

WC and Adelaide become stronger as the only financially viable clubs in their pools.

More teams in WA/SA or VIC doesn't grow the game. You'd be better off paying $40,000,000 for a team in the USA.

I don't see the business case. There is nobody in Perth/WA that doesn't have an opportunity to get involved in football at the moment, there are no new eyeballs. The market is explored.

If it's going to cost the AFL/WAFC $25,000,000 a year then there has to be something coming back the other way - that's the reason GWS and GC exist. New markets, new eyeballs.

There's a strong possibility that a third club in either WA or SA actually costs more than the club needs to operate as it draws just enough fans from the lesser established team to make them unprofitable but not enough to make the new club profitable.

WC and Adelaide become stronger as the only financially viable clubs in their pools.

More teams in WA/SA or VIC doesn't grow the game. You'd be better off paying $40,000,000 for a team in the USA.

It's technically 'at least' 4 more games per year in Perth that are guaranteed to be sellouts at Optus stadium.

So in a sense, it strengthens footy in w.a, even if team 3 is a burden initially.

Personally I'd probably go Canberra first, but I'd like a relocated Victorian club there, so that we can stay at 20 teams and fulfill long term needs in the ACT and W.A.

It's technically 'at least' 4 more games per year in Perth that are guaranteed to be sellouts at Optus stadium.

So in a sense, it strengthens footy in w.a, even if team 3 is a burden initially.

Personally I'd probably go Canberra first, but I'd like a relocated Victorian club there, so that we can stay at 20 teams and fulfill long term needs in the ACT and W.A.

How many games do you think were sellouts this season at Optus?

Canberra is the better choice IMO, like has been stated already, it's a fresh market.

I do, however, believe that a third WA team can work down the line, it all comes down to the branding. I believe there are some WCE fans out there that would explore a new team, but could just never follow Fremantle.

As much as Joondalup seems like the eventual location, I think the best brand to adopt from the WAFL would ironically be the Royals. Great nickname, plus a simple and unique colour scheme that somehow hasn't been used already.

I was surprised initially when GWS didn't adopt this colour scheme, as it seemed such a perfect clash to Sydney's red and white. images (1) (7).jpg

You don't think the 4 new Perth derbies would sellout?

There was just over 51,000 people at the WC home derby. 56k at the Freo home derby.

There might be 40,000 people at the two other ones.

The benefit is the less travel for two extra games against local sides, assuming the AFL has double ups against them.

I always saw Eagles as the Royals team. Colours too similar anyway unless they reverse the colour scheme. They can merge but they're traditional rivals right?

Why do the eastern states keep thinking of an idea of a 20th team? Cause some of us feel empathy about things that happen exclusively in the west.

Waitlist without a solution to resolve keep brought up by the fans and media.

Travel to Eastern States, to the point that they are asking Vic clubs to sell a game in the West.

More teams in the West like we have here in Vic.

Demographical numbers and figures in WA.

Problem is we aren't going to play games closer to WA, simply drop and relocate teams despite numerous attempts, and it is born from a Victorian comp not a seperate.

The only way to make the issue better for WA is to have another team, at least that's how many Victorians are seeing it. Too make a 3rd WA a non issue is to probably deal with the problems as unresolvable.

And why Joondalup? Well it's the place that gets mentioned frequently like the South West, and Eagles have moved to the centre of Perth.

Attachments

• images.jpeg-23.jpg
    images.jpeg-23.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 19
There was just over 51,000 people at the WC home derby. 56k at the Freo home derby.

There might be 40,000 people at the two other ones.

The benefit is the less travel for two extra games against local sides, assuming the AFL has double ups against them.
Would be stupid not to, hence that is one of the points for a third.

Would be stupid not to, hence that is one of the points for a third.

The AFL fixture having 15 games in Perth for the existing Perth teams doesn't require spending $25,000,000 minimum on another team in WA. They could do it from next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And lastly just in regards to Joondalup itself, if there are predominately British and South Africans living there, wouldn't that be an opportunity too?

Hardly anyone lives in Joondalup. It's a poxy mishmash of light commercial, medium density housing and a big ****ing shopping centre. Not unlike quite a few suburbs in Perth.

I have no idea why it always comes up as a place to put an AFL side.

Hardly anyone lives in Joondalup. It's a poxy mishmash of light commercial, medium density housing and a big ******* shopping centre. Not unlike quite a few suburbs in Perth.

I have no idea why it always comes up as a place to put an AFL side.

Originally it was to Joondalup City - the city in the North but because they didn't leave any green space, Joondalup became just another suburb swallowed up by expansion. The same thing happened much earlier like Parramatta in Sydney. IMO there is still a chance to make Armadale (WA) a distinctive city but I'm alone on that one.

Originally they were going to build the railway station close to the ground, a ground that has a stand rather than a stadium.

The definition of city is so low that there are many "cities" in Perth.

The AFL fixture having 15 games in Perth for the existing Perth teams doesn't require spending $25,000,000 minimum on another team in WA. They could do it from next year.
Only 4 or 5 teams would put up a hand.

Originally it was to Joondalup City - the city in the North but because they didn't leave any green space, Joondalup became just another suburb swallowed up by expansion. The same thing happened much earlier like Parramatta in Sydney. IMO there is still a chance to make Armadale (WA) a distinctive city but I'm alone on that one.

Originally they were going to build the railway station close to the ground, a ground that has a stand rather than a stadium.

The definition of city is so low that there are many "cities" in Perth.
Greenwood was supposed to be that green space but developers got greedy, knocked it all down and just kept up the sprawl. Continuing to repeat the mistakes of the past. And in Ellenbrook, the mistakes of the present and future.

Only 4 or 5 teams would put up a hand.

That's their problem, if the AFL actually cared about using less travel as a selling point of a third WA side that will make at least 2/3 clubs in WA unprofitable then they can resolve that issue without changing anything. Just send more Melbourne teams to play WC and Fremantle in WA each year.

Have every team have equal plane trips.

But since there is no appetite for that, let's not pretend it's a selling point.

That's their problem, if the AFL actually cared about using less travel as a selling point of a third WA side that will make at least 2/3 clubs in WA unprofitable then they can resolve that issue without changing anything. Just send more Melbourne teams to play WC and Fremantle in WA each year.

Have every team have equal plane trips.

But since there is no appetite for that, let's not pretend it's a selling point.
Both clubs can have all 10 home games solely against Victorian teams, if thats demanded.

But ironically Melbourne is the second shortest trip after Adelaide.

Both clubs can have all 10 home games solely against Victorian teams, if thats demanded.

But ironically Melbourne is the second shortest trip after Adelaide.

The second shortest trip is Melbourne to Geelong, with the shortest trip from the MCG to Marvel.

And if we are measuring distance traveled to be evened out, it's going to be even more teams that need to fly over.

It's really only a matter of time before "if you wanted to be part of a national competition it's part of it" comes out so perhaps we can move on from pretending that it's a selling point of another team that won't be profitable in either WA or SA.

I always saw Eagles as the Royals team. Colours too similar anyway unless they reverse the colour scheme. They can merge but they're traditional rivals right?

Why do the eastern states keep thinking of an idea of a 20th team? Cause some of us feel empathy about things that happen exclusively in the west.

Waitlist without a solution to resolve keep brought up by the fans and media.

Travel to Eastern States, to the point that they are asking Vic clubs to sell a game in the West.

More teams in the West like we have here in Vic.

Demographical numbers and figures in WA.

Problem is we aren't going to play games closer to WA, simply drop and relocate teams despite numerous attempts, and it is born from a Victorian comp not a seperate.

The only way to make the issue better for WA is to have another team, at least that's how many Victorians are seeing it. Too make a 3rd WA a non issue is to probably deal with the problems as unresolvable.

And why Joondalup? Well it's the place that gets mentioned frequently like the South West, and Eagles have moved to the centre of Perth.
The similarity is kind of the point. It would have a similar appeal to the Eagles, giving it the best chance of taking from their saturated supporter base instead of Fremantles.

All they would have to do is create a predominantly black clash strip for West Coasts home games, the Eagles would wear their yellow strip when away.

The similarity is kind of the point. It would have a similar appeal to the Eagles, giving it the best chance of taking from their saturated supporter base instead of Fremantles.

All they would have to do is create a predominantly black clash strip for West Coasts home games, the Eagles would wear their yellow strip when away.
Would being born solely as a satellite club really work?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back