Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps someone can answer this but what are the actual rules around the PSD? I don’t think the Dawson situation will end up there and think the clubs will work out a fair deal. But;

Say a trade isn’t done.
Dawson goes to the PSD.
North say they are willing to match the contract Ade offered and they want him.
Dawson rejects it.

Where does the draft tampering line come into it by simply saying you reject being taken by a certain club in an open draft when they hold the pick?

A player cannot do that in the national draft and simply refuse to sign with the club so why is the PSD different?

Usually players are not selected by another club in the PSD as they either don’t want to pay the contract or have the space but a player like Dawson for Nth would be a good get for them. So if he rejects their contract and draft, should he not then be removed from the draft pool and forced to sit out the year instead?

Obviously this doesn’t happen, but where in the rules does it actually say a player can reject being drafted by a club that matches their contract but remain in the draft pool for another club? Or is it just another unwritten rule where other clubs respect a players wishes and simply don’t bid on them if they know they want to go somewhere?

Would you?
Crows are playing poker with the Swans. Nothing to do with me or you.

Dawson has 6 years of relationships with the Swans. You are asuming he is prepared to burn that. The Swans are up front with their players in that they will accommodate them when need be. Jordan has made a very late call to bevome crow & gone back on his word. Make no mistake. He will sign on for 2 years with the Swans if Swans feel you are not offering enough.

Jordan Dawson probably made the decision with his girlfriend to come back to SA well before the home and away season finished. I doubt he would make effort to go through quarantine look for a new place to live only to return to Sydney month or so later because a deal could not be reach.

So you would prefer an average outcome of 100 games, most of which as a developing youngster, over a near-guaranteed 150+, starting in the player's prime?

Draft picks are hugely overrated. Just massively.

This is less about Dawson's value and more about the value of draft picks.
You're confusing Dawson's worth as a player (which is significant) with his worth as a trade asset (which is much less due to OOC and credible threat of PSD).

Would you?

Dawson has 6 years of relationships with the Swans. You are asuming he is prepared to burn that. The Swans are up front with their players in that they will accommodate them when need be. Jordan has made a very late call to bevome crow & gone back on his word. Make no mistake. He will sign on for 2 years with the Swans if Swans feel you are not offering enough.
Why would he do that? Even if somehow the Crows don't get him in the PSD, he can engineer his contract demands to get a fat, short term contract at North. He'd still be stuck interstate but on way better coin than Sydney will give.

He wouldn't be burning any relationships at the Swans either btw. Players are professionals. They aren't going to hold a grudge against a guy for getting paid, especially when he's out of contract.

Would you?

So Tedeski you firmly believe that if Dawson is faced with a choice of having to (a) go through the PSD (with whatever risks that entails) to get to Adelaide who he's nominated as his preferred club and moved himself and his GF back to the state to achieve that objective OR (b) go back to Sydney who he's already walked out on would choose (b)?

Perhaps someone can answer this but what are the actual rules around the PSD? I don’t think the Dawson situation will end up there and think the clubs will work out a fair deal. But;

Say a trade isn’t done.
Dawson goes to the PSD.
Dawson rejects it.

Where does the draft tampering line come into it by simply saying you reject being taken by a certain club in an open draft when they hold the pick?

A player cannot do that in the national draft and simply refuse to sign with the club so why is the PSD different?

Usually players are not selected by another club in the PSD as they either don’t want to pay the contract or have the space but a player like Dawson for Nth would be a good get for them. So if he rejects their contract and draft, should he not then be removed from the draft pool and forced to sit out the year instead?

Obviously this doesn’t happen, but where in the rules does it actually say a player can reject being drafted by a club that matches their contract but remain in the draft pool for another club? Or is it just another unwritten rule where other clubs respect a players wishes and simply don’t bid on them if they know they want to go somewhere?
It's happened before.
We'll sit tight.

I wonder if Sydney wanted picks next year.

Do they have a heap of F/S or NGA kids next year?

It's possible that they rate Melbourne's 1st next year higher than 17 this year?
I don’t know if they do, but I certainly rate next year better.

though melbs future pick 17/18 (it’s hard to see how they don’t finish at the top next year) could get blown out a little bit further if compo picks get added..

it’s not ideal for Sydney but if they can get just a bit more value on top of that future pick it would be good for them.

I know Adelaide fans don’t want to trade pick 4 out but I think they’re being silly and unnecessarily rigid.

if it was port I would rather split pick 4 into a 2 later picks and give one of those to Sydney (maybe even trade back again and get more future picks) keep that melb future pick and go into next years draft with a great hand when there’s a tonne of very good talent.

Say a trade isn’t done.
Dawson goes to the PSD.
Dawson rejects it.

Jordan can stop that possible but unlikely threat by Just telling everyone he will be living in Adelaide next year no matter what.

For those saying North wouldn't take him in the PSD, remember Dawson is from Robe, not Adelaide.

That's about 4.5 hours drive from Adelaide, and about 6 hours drive from Melbourne. That is not the greatest difference in the world.

North, with Blakey there who oversaw a lot of his development at the Swans, might just back themselves to keep him. At least they might think it worth the risk to try.

Jordan can stop that possible but unlikely threat by Just telling everyone he will be living in Adelaide next year no matter what.

I have read the rules and if I understand then correctly, Dawson only has the right to outline his payment and contract length expectations. If he rejects the club that picks him, he can be deleted from the list and sits out 12 months.

Unless the rules have changed from the version I’ve read, no where does it state a player can actually nominate a club in the PSD and if North match his salary expectations, there is nothing that stops them taking him.

If Dawson then elects not to play for North. He sits out for 12 months and North apply to the AFL to have him removed from their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you would prefer an average outcome of 100 games, most of which as a developing youngster, over a near-guaranteed 150+, starting in the player's prime?

Draft picks are hugely overrated. Just massively.

This is less about Dawson's value and more about the value of draft picks.
Drafts picks are overrated but Melbourne just won a premiership from drafting two of the best midfielders in the game (Oliver and Petracca) in the top 3 picks of the draft.

Dawson, despite being a very good player, will never have the impact of Petracca and Oliver, and I think Adelaide would want a shot at picking up a great (not a very good) player. There is a definite possibility of a top pick being a bust, but it can also transform your team into a premiership contendor. I think Adelaide want to run the risk of that.

Pick 4 will be split.
We won't get it but they will need to use it to get what we want by the looks of it.

There is more chance Dawson will go to PSD than us touching that pick. After all, we just don't need to and will just hinge on Melbournes 2022 first round for Dawson. Gives you something a bit closer to being fair, and could potentially swing to a top 10 pick if Melbourne has a post-premiership hangover (and it's Melbourne, who are a chaotic group at the best of times).

Drafts picks are overrated but Melbourne just won a premiership from drafting two of the best midfielders in the game (Oliver and Petracca) in the top 3 picks of the draft.

Dawson, despite being a very good player, will never have the impact of Petracca and Oliver, and I think Adelaide would want a shot at picking up a great (not a very good) player. There is a definite possibility of a top pick being a bust, but it can also transform your team into a premiership contendor. I think Adelaide want to run the risk of that.
I think its basically that the Crows also view paying Pick 4 for Dawson as ridiculous overs, when you consider is out of contract and a viable option for them via the PSD.

I have read the rules and if I understand then correctly, Dawson only has the right to outline his payment and contract length expectations. If he rejects the club that picks him, he can be deleted from the list and sits out 12 months.

Unless the rules have changed from the version I’ve read, no where does it state a player can actually nominate a club in the PSD and if North match his salary expectations, there is nothing that stops them taking him.

If Dawson then elects not to play for North. He sits out for 12 months and North apply to the AFL to have him removed from their list.

The AFL cannot force a Player to live in a certain state.

You're confusing Dawson's worth as a player (which is significant) with his worth as a trade asset (which is much less due to OOC and credible threat of PSD).

I have never argued that Dawson's value as a trade asset is pick 4. I've explicitly said it's less than that, and a straight swap for pick 4 has never been on the table.

Obviously Dawson will attract less than pick 4, but giving up 4 for Dawson and a big sweetener? That's not unreasonable.

The 4 way pick swap is officially a done deal.

TRADE SUMMARY
Melbourne
In:
17, 37, 49
Out: Future first, 33, 45

Western Bulldogs
In:
23, 44, 45
Out: 17, 75

Adelaide
In:
Future first (Melbourne), 33, 75
Out: 23, 37, 44, 62, 66, future fourth

St Kilda
In:
62, 66, future fourth (Adelaide)
Out: 49

The AFL cannot force a Player to live in a certain state.
They can if he wants to go into the PSD. That's the rules. He can go to whatever state he is drafted or he can give up playing.

If he wants to make sure he lives in S.A, he'd better get the Crows to give a trade Sydney will accept.

So Tedeski you firmly believe that if Dawson is faced with a choice of having to (a) go through the PSD (with whatever risks that entails) to get to Adelaide who he's nominated as his preferred club and moved himself and his GF back to the state to achieve that objective OR (b) go back to Sydney who he's already walked out on would choose (b)?
Every chance he would. To get to free agency. It must be in play.
He gets a chance at success while the Swans are up & about in these next few years & will be 26 at that time & could get a bigger pay day when that time comes, not to mention, the Crows will be more likely to have some success in two years time.
It actually makes more sense. If he has a couple of big years for us, his value skyrockets & club caps will be back up. He will command a much bigger salary.
It's not out of the question because we have done it before.
Though the Crows themselves may be willing to stitch the Swans up, I'm sure Dawson doesn't want that for us.
But time will tell.
I can't believe how hyped up Crow supporters get over this.
Whatever will be will be.
The Swans are quite entitled to stretch this out until they get what they want, or closer to what they want. He's been developed well in our system so we may feel it's worth a risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

Back