Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt it, it's just the usual posturing.

Think the deal will eventually get done for selections in the 10-15 range.

Sydney usually get a deal done (this stance is actually very unusual for us).

A lot of it could be who Adelaide want to target in the draft.

Yup, and I'd wager we're after someone who isn't going to last until Sydney first pick.

Yup, and I'd wager we're after someone who isn't going to last until Sydney first pick.

Likely,

If (big if) your going to eventually eventually trade down thinking it's Richmond's 7 and 15.

Then 15 and a swap of futures (your future second for our future third.

Both sets of fans would be annoyed with the trade so it seems about right.

Have a feeling Adelaide just wants to showcase that they fielded an offer that's already more than fair before bringing in Dawson via PSD.

A lot of public information/leaked offers for this one than usual...

There's literally nothing for Adelaide to lose, and significant value to gain (pretty much save a whole 1st rounder?). It's also not like it's the first time Adelaide used PSD, they literally did it last year with Hately. So it's not like all of a sudden other clubs are going to change their view on Adelaide. Now that I mention it, this deal seems to have similar development as the Hately situation last year?

Likely,

If (big if) your going to eventually eventually trade down thinking it's Richmond's 7 and 15.

I honestly would be surprised if we opted for that direction. We seem very resistant to moving pick 4 in any form, and that we've put a lot of effort into finding a middle ground with Sydney early does make me think that we're spooked by Fremantle or potentially Richmond in the upcoming draft.

If I had to guess, I reckon we ended up securing Melbournes 2022 pick for Dawson as something to sit on and wait out the clock. Still gives Sydney that late first, and removes the risk of the Dogs getting cold feet and taking another clubs offer.. I doubt it's for the GCS lads, and with Dawson coming aboard, I don't think we're going to be a serious player for Lukosious this time around.

Last edited:
Pick 4 will be split.
We won't get it but they will need to use it to get what we want by the looks of it.
Crows won’t split 4. We only have 4 spots - 1 is for Dawson and two are for Butts and Keays to be upgraded from the rookie list. That leaves 1. With perhaps a couple of rookies.
We only want 1 draft pick. We can’t really use 2. We’re not splitting 4

Have a feeling Adelaide just wants to showcase that they fielded an offer that's already more than fair before bringing in Dawson via PSD.

A lot of public information/leaked offers for this one than usual...

There's literally nothing for Adelaide to lose, and significant value to gain (pretty much save a whole 1st rounder?). It's also not like it's the first time Adelaide used PSD, they literally did it last year with Hately. So it's not like all of a sudden other clubs are going to change their view on Adelaide. Now that I mention it, this deal seems to have similar development as the Hately situation last year?
I’m reluctant to go down the PD avenue for a second time in a row, but as long as they’ve offered a fair and reasonable deal trade first up, then I’d be comfortable going to the draft. No point over paying during a rebuild

Likely,

All this to turn down 17 for 15?

This deal is getting interesting. Either Adelaide believe the deal isn’t going to get done, or they’ve resigned to using pick 4 somehow. Whether it’s trading it directly or splitting it. I think they’re preference would be too avoid using next years first if possible

Looks like they are walking him to the pre-season. Pretty ruthless if they are. Will run out of friends soon.

All this to turn down 17 for 15?

It's posturing purely at the moment in hope Adelaide eventually give up 4 for Dawson and 12 (which lets be honest isn't happening).

I think it's eventually 15 and a second round upgrade (that could maybe go to Ladhams).

The trade gets done and both sets of fans will be annoyed.

I honestly would be surprised if we opted for that direction. We seem very resistant to moving pick 4 in any form, and that we've put a lot of effort into finding a middle ground with Sydney early does make me think that we're spooked by Fremantle or potentially Richmond in the upcoming draft.

If I had to guess, I reckon we ended up securing Melbournes 2022 pick for Dawson as something to sit on and wait out the clock. Still gives Sydney that late first, and removes the risk of the Dogs getting cold feet and taking another clubs offer.. I doubt it's for the GCS lads, and with Dawson coming aboard, I don't think we're going to be a serious player for Lukosious this time around.

Maybe not Lukosious, but potentially Rankine.

If Rankine keeps his form from this year then Melbourne's 2022 pick is about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we stop saying "front end the contract so we get him through the PSD".

When nominating for the PSD, players only nominate a length of contract, and a total payment over that contract. That is all that needs to be matched. Crows can then front end that, North could back end it, to fit in their salary cap.

With a 5 year contract, most clubs can restructure their payments to accommodate that. It just comes down to "do we want to spend $3m on a player that doesn't want to be here?"

Crows going the PSD route is risk, sure. Calculated risk though as we've seen many times before.
Actually they do have to match the exact structure of the deal.

Put somethjng similar up on the Hawks board with the idea adelaide would look to try get lukosius and rankine next year.

Hawks
IN adelaide pick 4 , future 2nd
Out future 1st , pick 24

Adelaide
In Hawks future 1st, Jordan Dawson, pick 31
Out pick 4 , Melbournes future 1st , future 2nd

Sydney
In Melbourne future 1st , 24
Out 31

Put somethjng similar up on the Hawks board with the idea adelaide would look to try get lukosius and rankine next year.

Hawks
Out future 1st , pick 24

Adelaide

Sydney
Out 31
Do Hawks provide lubricant as part of this deal too?

Hawks
Out future 1st , pick 24

Adelaide

Sydney
Out 31

Adelaide would take all of 1 second to reject that deal, and likely any that involve pick 4.

Rankine and Luko are bridges we can cross with 2023 picks if need be.

Hawks
Out future 1st , pick 24

Adelaide

Sydney
Out 31
It may seem right, but why do adelaide do it?

Hawks would need to add something to incentivise us to swap 1sts.

Maybe not Lukosious, but potentially Rankine.

If Rankine keeps his form from this year then Melbourne's 2022 pick is about right.

Rankine is who I suspect is our main target in 2022. That's certainly could be an interesting one, and depending on how his 2022 goes, we could be anywhere from us grabbing him for a 1st round pick to nothing (it's Gold Coast after all, one of those clubs the football gods have decreed they can't have nice things). If he looks like he's bouncing back, I can see us gambling our 2023 first round pick on him, seeing we do seem to be planning on 2023 as a bounce year (seeing we got Burgess this year, and had a large influx of kids in 2019-2020 who'd be at the magical 50-70 game mark).

Even if Rankine doesn't bounce, I could see us throwing around some big money and that 2023 pick to try to loosen someone in 2022 with Tex likely retiring at the end of the year (+ we're in a very strong cap position).

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

Back