Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear you. It’s not an easy decision though. I imagine every player who has joined the Saints from elsewhere has also gone back and forth with their decision.

He bled for you this year. Who cares if he changed his mind. His year deserves to be lauded just as much as others.
Agree
Club comes across as small minded and petty

Oh, so now the playing group aren’t fans?

Yes that is correct.

The problem is not that Battle has gone. The problem is what Battle chose to tell them to their faces one day, and what he then texted them the next day.

Battle's text to his ex-team mates and others at the club, reversing what he had told them them the day prior did not go down at all well. I think the tone was not also appreciated by his ex-team mates.

Battle was also not part of the end of season trip, and it is only the players who decide that.

It is all a bit of a shame, as prior that everything was pretty amicable. But Battle chose to act as he did with his ex-team mates.

Yes that is correct.

The problem is not that Battle has gone. The problem is what Battle chose to tell them to their faces one day, and what he then texted them the next day.

Battle's text to his ex-team mates and others at the club, reversing what he had told them them the day prior did not go down at all well. I think the tone was not also appreciated by his ex-team mates.

Battle was also not part of the end of season trip, and it is only the players who decide that.

It is all a bit of a shame, as prior that everything was pretty amicable. But Battle chose to act as he did with his ex-team mates.

To be fair Battle may of genuinely been in two minds.

Really unfair that the Saints appeared to be applying more pressure on Battle than Normal. Kind of an emotional black mail.

Yes that is correct.

All of this is screaming Battle trying to get out of a relationship with a needy partner who refuses to see the truth in front of them.

Do you think any Saints players wondered why he asked to bring his kid out for the last game?

Lol, love how petty the saints look.

So I guess saints will never sign someone in free agency to keep this moral high ground
Odd logic

The correct logic is if we have committed to a free agent for 2025, he would be invited to the 2024 B&F.

Yes that is correct.

Tom Barrass pretty much said he would be an Eagle for life unless the rug was pulled out from under him.
Circumstances can and do change.

Yet, he was given life membership at the B&F and spoke magnificently about the club.
It was all done with class from both sides.

The only positive for Battle, is that at least he doesn't have to front up for a premiership reunion I guess.

bit like Clarkson on buddy 10 years ago?
But Clarko was trying to sell Buddy the dream of more Premierships (and he was right)
Something no coach at St.Kilda could ever try and sell.
So maybe the chance of Josh playing for the club that has been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century versus one that is the opposite of that, was too good to ignore.

Lol, love how petty the saints look.

So I guess saints will never sign someone in free agency to keep this moral high ground

It has nothing to do with Battle leaving as a FA. It is how Battle chose to communicate with his ex team mates, and others at the club.

Membrey was at the BF, and pretty good chance he will be at the Dons as a FA too.

Goddard left as a FA, and is coaching at the Club.

Not sure why so many Hawks are taking the high ground here as there are a number of examples of ex-Hawks both currently and in the past of not getting on with ex team mates/ club officials as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Clarko was trying to sell Buddy the dream of more Premierships (and he was right)
Something no coach at St.Kilda could ever try and sell.
So maybe the chance of Josh playing for the club that has been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century versus one that is the opposite of that, was too good to ignore.
Its also rich for the Saints president to whinge about a 28-year old club having a father-son selection when they've had 151 years to get a decent crop together

The Saints are very lucky to be in the AFL at all to be honest

What is hypocritical here?

the issue isn’t that he is leaving.

The issue is that he told coaches and players he was staying and they feel hard done by as he sent a text the next day saying he was leaving.

Just be honest and upfront

Dont back players into a corner forcing them to lie.

Players will be up front when clubs are up front. We have seen players dropped to the VFL when doing the right thing and saying they are going.

Of course they wait until they have agreed their new spot.

I would be surprised that if Battle had his time over, that he would not now choose to have dealt with his ex-team mates differently. We all make mistakes in life.

It will probably get addressed over a beer sooner or later.

I think there were several hints that Battle was leaving including the coach cracking it earlier in the season. I mean I find this hard to believe from St Kilda.

Oh, he lied... Please. They are more likely pissed he left for less and didn't help them get pick 8 or 9 or whatever it is. The president going off his nut about it says it all really. Show some class. WCE a perfect example.

We had Franklin leave in an ugly fashion and yet

Oh, he lied... Please. They are more likely pissed he left for less and didn't help them get pick 8 or 9 or whatever it is.
I mean both things can be true right? They can be annoyed that he lied and annoyed that his departure isn't going to lead to a Band 1 compo pick.

I also don't think the club is angry at Battle for the latter (ie not helping them net the better compo pick). How does that conversation go? "Hi Josh could you please ask Hawthorn for more money so that we get an additional pick that comes in before their first pick this year and puts them in a worse position salary cap wise?" If he was interested in doing things that directly advantaged St Kilda over Hawthorn, wouldn't he just be staying at St Kilda?

100% agree though that Bassat going off was a shocking look

I mean both things can be true right? They can be annoyed that he lied and annoyed that his departure isn't going to lead to a Band 1 compo pick.

I also don't think the club is angry at Battle for the latter (ie not helping them net the better compo pick). How does that conversation go? "Hi Josh could you please ask Hawthorn for more money so that we get an additional pick that comes in before their first pick this year and puts them in a worse position salary cap wise?" If he was interested in doing things that directly advantaged St Kilda over Hawthorn, wouldn't he just be staying at St Kilda?

100% agree though that Bassat going off was a shocking look
Whatever it is mate whether he left for less or didn't give their revised offer a proper look. I mean he could have said i am leaving because i want to set up my family for the future. At this time St Kilda's offer was a lot lower than their final offer. However they give him more money expecting his original reason to be honoured and the fact he didn't take up the offer meant he lied to them.

In saying that how would anyone feel that they were getting a last minute offer to ask him to stay after he had already made up his mind and was mentally ready to go(its difficult as he had 8 years there). Asking the team he is going to, to up their offer. He did what he had decided and left.

Whatever it is mate whether he left for less or didn't give their revised offer a proper look. I mean he could have said i am leaving because i want to set up my family for the future. At this time St Kilda's offer was a lot lower than their final offer. However they give him more money expecting his original reason to be honoured and the fact he didn't take up the offer meant he lied to them.

In saying that how would anyone feel that they were getting a last minute offer to ask him to stay after he had already made up his mind and was mentally ready to go(its difficult as he had 8 years there). Asking the team he is going to, to up their offer. He did what he had decided and left.
Don't get me wrong, I really dislike the timing of the Saints offers. If we had the cash as in our last offer, why didn't we just offer that from the outset?

But at the same time, if he was "mentally ready to go" then he shouldn't be telling his teammates and coaches that he's staying late in the season and engaging in extensive negotiations with the club. That's the crux of it - I think both parties have reasons to be annoyed at how the other has gone about it.

In any case, he'll do great at Hawthorn and I'll certainly be cheering for him when he plays

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back