Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t Morris say he will be earning less than he did at St Kilda?
Saints offer was just over $950k and Battle accepted slightly less at the Hawks
But the actual contract can be manipulated to average $1 mil over 5 years which will be submitted and the other year will be triggers at $600k a year

which gets saints band 1

Win/Win

Hawks get a solid swing man (saints did not use him that way yet i am sure the hawks will) with many years of service to give while giving up nothing but salary cap space.

Saints "hopefully" get that band one compo to give two shots at landing a quality mid that is needed for the now and future.

I believe most people who support the saints would choose band one compo over Battle.

Now for Simon Dalrymple to get it done.

There was a massive 3 way bidding war to get Ben McKay into Band1 compo.

Hawthorn made a good strong move for Battle early and he agreed. About 835K over 6 years(5M). There has been zero leaking of them having upped their offer. End of Rd1 compo.
Good by hawks

And means their first rounder doesn’t move back a spot

Pick 19 for battle is still decent

They gave band 1 compo for McKays 800k a season so if this is 900k or more it should trigger band 1 considering the salary cap increases.

In saying that, McKay shouldn’t have got band 1 compo, the FA compo system is a joke along with academy/father-son bid matching.

Why do you say he shouldn't have?

And I've read that McKay is on an "Average" of $850 with a lot up front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this in any way set a price this year for a KPD .. in a similar way McKay going to Essendon did last year?

I think clubs largely view these things in isolation. Triggering certain compensation bands isn’t the same thing as being adequately compensated via trade.

Saints offer was just over $950k and Battle accepted slightly less at the Hawks
But the actual contract can be manipulated to average $1 mil over 5 years which will be submitted and the other year will be triggers at $600k a year

which gets saints band 1
Why would any club pay that much for an average footballer, that plays on the third best forward?

There was a massive 3 way bidding war to get Ben McKay into Band1 compo.

Hawthorn made a good strong move for Battle early and he agreed. About 835K over 6 years(5M). There has been zero leaking of them having upped their offer. End of Rd1 compo.
I thought hawthorns offer was below 800 if it’s what you’re stating will 100% be band 1, Mckays contract was heavily front loaded over the whole contract it averaged out to around 800 which was band1

No chance
We're getting him as a bargain purchase. Ken Bruce has gone completely mad style.
He’s a very good pick up for hawthorn but I wouldn’t say 800k plus is cheap. And from a list management perspective having so much money tied up in two defenders with him and barras might limit what they can do in future seasons

He’s a very good pick up for hawthorn but I wouldn’t say 800k plus is cheap. And from a list management perspective having so much money tied up in two defenders with him and barras might limit what they can do in future seasons

800k today is what 20k was back in the VFLish era
inflation inflation inflation

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back