Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

From Country footy to Darwin to SANFL to the most famous sporting club in Australia - reckon he’ll sleep we tonight

Hopefully we see more than those underwhelming highlights flying around

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like Buck's background!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s wrong with the mid season draft? Everyone other league leaves player transfers open until June 30
This is a topic that always makes me laugh. I'd say most of the moaning about it comes from SA, where they think their state league comp. is much more important than it really is in the overall scheme of things! I had a Glenelg supporter (a very good friend of mine) complaining about it to me the other day. They have just lost a couple of players to this draft, so he'll be very unhappy now! Yet if a SANFL club had some really promising players starring for teams in their zone, and they thought they might be good enough to improve their team, they surely wouldn't hesitate to recruit them mid-season. I doubt that they would say "if we bring them in now it will really damage that club's hopes for this season", they'd just snap them up if they could! Of course it's inconvenient for any clubs to lose star players in the middle of the year, but 3 of the 6 players SANFL clubs are losing (Bauer, Carmichael and Menzie), as well as Derksen from the WAFL, have only gone there this year and all were from another state. Players like that don't go to those clubs hoping to play there for the next 10 years, they do it to try and get noticed and picked up by an AFL club. That's just the reality of the situation, and the moaning state league followers need to accept it!

If he has been playing in the SANFL all year surely he is match fit already? I'm asking if he plays VFL, not AFL.

Noble was playing SANFL before we drafted him. Still had to bide his time to play VFL. Doubt it’s fitness as much as knowledge of systems. Not sure what the rush is.

Going by his 60 metre goal, he might already be one of the better kicks at the club.

Only had one ore season. Ka ching
Kicking distance doesn’t correlate to being a good kick in my book, sure it helps…but can he pass and hit target on a regular basis. Swan was a great shot at goal, couldn’t hit the side of the barn in any other facet.

Noble was playing SANFL before we drafted him. Still had to bide his time to play VFL. Doubt it’s fitness as much as knowledge of systems. Not sure what the rush is.

I’d say it’d be both. Somebody like Noble was apparently already a very hard runner which would have helped with the transition. Presuming the Pies haven’t seen his SANFL numbers, his first run in the VFL will reveal how close or far away he might be. Agree on the no rush. BF loves a new shiny toy.

I’d say it’d be both. Somebody like Noble was apparently already a very hard runner which would have helped with the transition. Presuming the Pies haven’t seen his SANFL numbers, his first run in the VFL will reveal how close or far away he might be. Agree on the no rush. BF loves a new shiny toy.

Shiny new toys quickly are quickly dumped on nature strips. Just a few errant kicks and Joshua will find himself sitting alongside Tyler.

Good outcome!

We need the midfield depth and another big body will thicken the soup nicely with Brown x2 seeming to be the go to options currently.

From a list management perspective it also made the most sense if we’re not only into McStay, but also angling for a tall early draft. Another tall option with a rookie pick (it would leave us 7 current or former talls off the rookie list) would have potentially added further to the quality imbalance on the list.

Welcome Josh. Liked the big grin and the nice touch of standing in front of the pub toilets during his interview.😁

Also said ‘yeah, nah’ - one of Dekka’s much valued AFL traits.👍

But seriously, if he can add something to our midfield - support for Adams as some posters indicate - then I love him already.

Reality is he might well not make it, kid has his opportunity and 18 months to make it happen, good luck to him and let’s hope he earns a debut at some point.

I like the mid season draft, gives opportunities to kids who may not have peaked at the right time or just plain overlooked.
He'll make it, has a lot of key attributes and will only improve in a professional system, I think we have a gem

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

Back