Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the reaction of the Pies draft team last night, when they lodged the pick for Daicos. They were smiling, even looking relieved, like many of us at home! I think even Marcus Wagner gave a little clap.

Hmm wasn't aware he was so young! Plenty of scope to develop given he'd be toward the bottom of the list of players age wude in this draft.
Yeah it's a real positive for mine. He obviously has a long way to go to make it but he is obviously starting from a long way back so hopefully there's a very deep well there.

Hmm wasn't aware he was so young! Plenty of scope to develop given he'd be toward the bottom of the list of players age wise in this draft.

Let's be honest, he has the same scope to develop as most of the draft class based on his age... He is only a few months younger than most of them...

It's a shame Peter Daicos is mainly known for his mercurial skills around goal because he was something special in the midfield.

With footage being readily available, as it is today, we'd see things like him turning four players inside out and firing a left foot pass down the throat of a forward. There's a shit load more.

I remember the late Trevor Barker, who did a lot more than just take high marks, saying (paraphrasing) that when Daicos had the ball, it was futile chasing the forward target because you'd have no chance of spoiling. No matter where he was, how much traffic he was on or in what direction he was running, if he had a target, he hit it.

He not only did what was expected, he did it in a way that few players could. We salivate over the skills of Rioli, the spatial awareness of Pendles and the setting up of play by Mitchell. Daicos was all of that rolled into one.

Club clearly had the inside word, another recruiting coup seeing things no other club did. Looks like a 200 game player, likely to play every senior game this year, win the Copeland and AA nomination. Captain material.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Keeerist CC at least vary the sacasm a bit instead of spamming every welcome thread with a cookie cutter post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that we've recruited a Daicos.

He looked to me a little like Sam Dwyer in his highlights.

It's a shame Peter Daicos is mainly known for his mercurial skills around goal because he was something special in the midfield.

With footage being readily available, as it is today, we'd see things like him turning four players inside out and firing a left foot pass down the throat of a forward. There's a shit load more.

I remember the late Trevor Barker, who did a lot more than just take high marks, saying (paraphrasing) that when Daicos had the ball, it was futile chasing the forward target because you'd have no chance of spoiling. No matter where he was, how much traffic he was on or in what direction he was running, if he had a target, he hit it.

He not only did what was expected, he did it in a way that few players could. We salivate over the skills of Rioli, the spatial awareness of Pendles and the setting up of play by Mitchell. Daicos was all of that rolled into one.
Like many who are now classified as old, we were so fortunate to watch the master at work. A class above the rest on the field and off it. Josh will hopefully find his own pathway and if he is half as good as Pete then we have a Stevie J prototype

Summed the great man up beautifully.
On a seperate note, How hard must it be being the son of someone like Daics. The expectations on JD must have been enormous for all his life. He's done well to get where he has. I really hope he gets the chance with our supporters to just be Josh and not have to be Peter. I remember what Robert Rose went through as a young footballer. The next Daicos will have it a lot easier than Big Brother Josh.
Wrapt we've got the trio now though (Moore, Brown, Daicos) we're becoming a family club again!

Like many who are now classified as old, we were so fortunate to watch the master at work. A class above the rest on the field and off it. Josh will hopefully find his own pathway and if he is half as good as Pete then we have a Stevie J prototype
Unfortunately, we're reduced to our long term memory when it comes to Daicos' work as a mid. I'm going to try to hunt down some videos of games and convert them.
As for Josh, fingers crossed. A cousin of Peter has told me that the young bloke has the vision of his old man and also the deft skills under pressure. Will have to see if they transfer to the big time.

Unfortunately, we're reduced to our long term memory when it comes to Daicos' work as a mid. I'm going to try to hunt down some videos of games and convert them.
As for Josh, fingers crossed. A cousin of Peter has told me that the young bloke has the vision of his old man and also the deft skills under pressure. Will have to see if they transfer to the big time.
Seen most of his games live, those early years as a mid were truly electric. He used to remind me of Bradman at his peak DB would pick out a fielder and put a ball past his right hand, then go to the left and finally the poor bastard didn't know which way to lean when DB wound up so DB would smash it between his feet, making him look like a fool.

Pete was much the same, his evasive skills - and the timing of using them - mesmerized his opponents, often leaving them flatfooted or lunging in completely the wrong direction.

He would at times lean one way and twist the other once his opponent was committed.

A master of evasion and if his feet had held up I'm certain he would have been at the top of the all time greats list.

Those of us old enough to have been priveleged to have witnessed those early days wistfully hope he has instilled some of his footy smarts into his sons.

Someone asked earlier about Peter Moore, My mum (North supporter at the time) said he was a man mountain and made everyone else look like ragdolls. And he was a deadly accurate goalkick.

She's now a Geelong supporter and has been for years, so I wouldn't trust her.. I don't ;) Not on footy things

Seen most of his games live, those early years as a mid were truly electric. He used to remind me of Bradman at his peak DB would pick out a fielder and put a ball past his right hand, then go to the left and finally the poor bastard didn't know which way to lean when DB wound up so DB would smash it between his feet, making him look like a fool.

Pete was much the same, his evasive skills - and the timing of using them - mesmerized his opponents, often leaving them flatfooted or lunging in completely the wrong direction.

He would at times lean one way and twist the other once his opponent was committed.

A master of evasion and if his feet had held up I'm certain he would have been at the top of the all time greats list.

Those of us old enough to have been priveleged to have witnessed those early days wistfully hope he has instilled some of his footy smarts into his sons.
You saw peak Bradman? Bloody hell you're doing well to internet!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Summed the great man up beautifully.
On a seperate note, How hard must it be being the son of someone like Daics. The expectations on JD must have been enormous for all his life. He's done well to get where he has. I really hope he gets the chance with our supporters to just be Josh and not have to be Peter. I remember what Robert Rose went through as a young footballer. The next Daicos will have it a lot easier than Big Brother Josh.
Wrapt we've got the trio now though (Moore, Brown, Daicos) we're becoming a family club again!
Brown crumbs the ball from the centre square, bounces twice and kicks to Moore from inside 50, Moore takes a giant leap over his opponents back , the ball almost marked but bounces towards the boundary line , but lookout josh Daicos swoops on the ball 20 Mtrs out on the tightest of angles and bends and bounces it through for a
Miraculous GOAL
Oh gee revelations of his father, what a freakish goal, and the crowd going absolute nuts as the Final siren sounds and the pies Victorious by a solitary point
Josh Daicos take a bow ...

A Daicos at pick 57, well worth the shot!

Will not be criticising the club if he doesn't make it.

I've told this story before so sorry to those who've heard it.

Growing up on Vic Park hill watching the Mighty Pies with my Dad is one of my most cherished memories.
One particular day the ball was stuck in the pocket down the other end, then all of a sudden there was a flurry of arms & legs, baulks & finally a snap over the shoulder for the sausage!
Dad says" Who kicked that?"
I reply "Daics"
He says "How did you see what happened?"
I replied "I didn't but who else could've kicked that!"

Welcome Josh.

A Daicos at pick 57, well worth the shot!

Will not be criticising the club if he doesn't make it.

I've told this story before so sorry to those who've heard it.

Growing up on Vic Park hill watching the Mighty Pies with my Dad is one of my most cherished memories.
One particular day the ball was stuck in the pocket down the other end, then all of a sudden there was a flurry of arms & legs, baulks & finally a snap over the shoulder for the sausage!
Dad says" Who kicked that?"
I reply "Daics"
He says "How did you see what happened?"
I replied "I didn't but who else could've kicked that!"

Welcome Josh.

Love that story O A :):thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back