Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

He reminds me more and more of Pendlebury with the way he moves, finds space and waits for the right option before disposing of the ball. I honestly can't believe how much improvement he's shown this year.

I suppose it's a real lesson for us as supporters to give players time to develop and improve.

I don't understand this need for a lesson though.

It was very clear Daicos had legitimate talent immediately and just wasn't getting a consistent run at it. Yet Callum Brown who has CLEARLY less ability was being gifted games ahead of him.

I had absolutely no idea why anyone on this board had anything against Daicos to begin with, it was bizarre. Was everyone expecting him to just...be his dad day one or something?

I don't understand this need for a lesson though.

It was very clear Daicos had legitimate talent immediately and just wasn't getting a consistent run at it. Yet Callum Brown who has CLEARLY less ability was being gifted games ahead of him.

I had absolutely no idea why anyone on this board had anything against Daicos to begin with, it was bizarre. Was everyone expecting him to just...be his dad day one or something?

All I'm saying is that I saw many a post here before the season started that had Daicos on borrowed time and suggesting that he would be in line for delisting when he came out of contract at the end of this year. Few seemed to have him in their best 22.

And while I personally wasn't that pessimistic about him I thought his ceiling was pretty low and he would be at best a handy bit part player chiming in with the odd terrific finish. I'm delighted to be completely wrong about that. In fact, one of my favourite things in footy is when I'm wrong about a Collingwood player not being good enough.

I’m not sure how old you are Big Ned, but if I had a dollar for every time the bolded was said about his father...Other fans of my vintage will agree. It’s getting very déjà vu in here - in a good way.:p

I was born in 82 so I missed the majority of his midfield days but have vivid memories of 90,91, 92 and 93. Plus the newspaper when he retired. To think we might have two of his and two of Rowdy's boys scares me of how good they might be!

All I'm saying is that I saw many a post here before the season started that had Daicos on borrowed time and suggesting that he would be in line for delisting when he came out of contract at the end of this year. Few seemed to have him in their best 22.

And while I personally wasn't that pessimistic about him I thought his ceiling was pretty low and he would be at best a handy bit part player chiming in with the odd terrific finish. I'm delighted to be completely wrong about that. In fact, one of my favourite things in footy is when I'm wrong about a Collingwood player not being good enough.

I was like that on Maynard.

Couldn't stand him for his first few years, but yeah he's a gun now, even if I still feel he should be playing in the middle myself.

I was like that on Maynard.

Couldn't stand him for his first few years, but yeah he's a gun now, even if I still feel he should be playing in the middle myself.

Absolutely the same here. For some reason I really took against him, until I realised I was bagging a guy who was still just 19 and had only played like 20 games. As soon as I stopped looking for reasons to dislike him he seemed a much more valuable player. Weird.

I've followed both since they were colts at Bulleen. Josh has demonstrated much more than Callum at AFL level but as juniors they were hard to split. Josh has always had a better kick.

I'm not as bullish on Callum as I was. He is a natural midfielder in a team that bats deep on that front but I won't be writing him off just yet.

I've followed both since they were colts at Bulleen. Josh has demonstrated much more than Callum at AFL level but as juniors they were hard to split. Josh has always had a better kick.

I'm not as bullish on Callum as I was. He is a natural midfielder in a team that bats deep on that front but I won't be writing him off just yet.

And nor should we at his age. Callum has some tricks but needs to work hard on some fundamental aspects of his game. He seems fumbly with the ball in hand. His kicks lack a bit of penetration.

I think with some more experience and growing confidence he will improve - saddling up next to Pendles or someone of the ilk over a preseason or two will see what it takes to make the grade.

Just like most of us saw in a young Swan and young Pendlebury as recent Collingwood greats.... I now see something similar with Daicos. He is making his father proud and worthy to be the Daicos' heir.

He's smooth and composed similar to Pendlebury and Steelebottom... sublime skills.

I can only speak for AFL level as that's the only place I've watched them play and honestly, since day one it hasn't even been close.

Was absolutely staggered to see Callum get games so frequently ahead of Josh.

I think a majority of us saw Josh have "moments"
Could tell he had the skill...he just needed a few pre seasons...confidence and the backing of bucks (run of games).
Always feared he would leave and become the next "heath scotland" (a player we let go of to early)

Moore has been good but young Daics is in the process of going past him because he is so exciting and gets so much of the ball. And also because he is the son of such an icon and great player he excites our fans more.

He has a Long Way to go to be good as Darcy.

Absolutely the same here. For some reason I really took against him, until I realised I was bagging a guy who was still just 19 and had only played like 20 games. As soon as I stopped looking for reasons to dislike him he seemed a much more valuable player. Weird.

Maynard was one of those ones that you just had to get games into. Once he got to 50 games and got that experience he settled and came good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What surprises me is that Josh didn’t receive a bid in the 2016 draft. Did other clubs just not rate him? Was he aver as a TAC Cup player?

can you just imagine if Nick Daicos slid to a pick in the 50’s.

Short skinny kid who didn't really make much of an impact at junior level despite the pedigree was one reason.

Combine that with there being plenty of decent-looking options on the board, there being no point in bidding after pick 40 and the fact that we had more than enough points-carrying picks meant that other teams just wouldn't have bothered.

On another note I was slightly depressed to see some of the kids we probably never even looked at for one reason or another from that 2016 draft.

2 39 Josh Battle St Kilda
2 40 Tom Stewart Geelong
2 41 Brennan Cox Fremantle
3 43 Esava Ratugolea Geelong
4 66 Luke Ryan Fremantle
5 73 Nick Larkey North Melbourne
5 76 Mitchell Lewis Hawthorn

He was on borrowed time. I believe he even said at the end of last year the club told him his career was potentially in jeopardy and perhaps he should look for opportunities at another club.

Backed himself, pulled his finger out, and now getting the rewards.

L
He was on borrowed time. I believe he even said at the end of last year the club told him his career was potentially in jeopardy and perhaps he should look for opportunities at another club.

Backed himself, pulled his finger out, and now getting the rewards.
Calling BS on that. I don’t believe they ever suggested that to him. If you can actually provide some proof on this it would be appreciated.

L

Calling BS on that. I don’t believe they ever suggested that to him. If you can actually provide some proof on this it would be appreciated.

I heard it too but can’t find it written anywhere. Maybe Josh said so in an interview? Then again it could be based on a BF post which has grown legs. Wouldn’t be the first time that happened. :oops:

Hat in Hand, i was wrong on Daicos.. I didn't think his VFL form would translate to the top level.

Gobsmacked at the player he has become this season.
Should finish top 10 in our B and F.

The part of his game that has developed quite quickly (as in just within this season) is he's stopped the blind hack kick forward and has backed in his evasive skills to then find a better option. It is very Pendlebury like.

I dunno, the QF against the Eagles at Waverley was amazing...

That clip didnt show the whole play with millane laying a huge hit, collecting the ball and a quick 1-2 handball with brown, and a dish off to Daicos.

Or was it Brown-millane-Brown-Daicos? Either was it was brilliant

I can only speak for AFL level as that's the only place I've watched them play and honestly, since day one it hasn't even been close.

Was absolutely staggered to see Callum get games so frequently ahead of Josh.

Cal had a few games early on that showed us a bit, but he has lost form and confidence this year. I reckon the reason he got the games was less on potential and more about what the side was perceived to have needed.

Josh couldn't play the defensive forward role and had to make the wing position his own.

Flippa now has to earn his spot back because there is no way in hell he'd be chosen over Josh or Sidey.

L

What a great year he’s having, so smooth.

Anyway here is proof.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back