Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Walsh had a great year. Dunkley wasn’t twice as good as him this year.
Dunkley proved his credentials last year. One year where the bad coach plays him in the ruck doesn't change the fact that he's clearly a better footballer than Walsh, the same way you wouldn't say someone like Rockliff isn't better than Cripps. Dunkley is also better than every North player.

3 years younger and already tops him in most statistical categories. More courageous too.
Lol, delusional.

If he's on the table, Essendon will have the cash and picks to give from Daniher, Saad and Fantasia. Sliding doors. Out good players, in good players. Hopefully these ones have better attitudes.

From a list of 47 players we have 7 traded in from other clubs, most of which were well under 25 when acquired.
Sure. I'm just saying a decent chunk of our best 22 was traded in.

How many did players do we have from other clubs on our list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't really interest me, just find it funny Essendon fans still support Dodo.
Of course it doesn't. :) That's why you came into a thread unrelated to your club to take a failed cheap shot.

Coz it's of no interest to you. Uh huh.

If he's on the table, Essendon will have the cash and picks to give from Daniher, Saad and Fantasia. Sliding doors. Out good players, in good players. Hopefully these ones have better attitudes.
Putting the blame onto the players walking out really let’s your club off the hook.

Josh Dunkley and our 2020 1st round pick for Zach Merrett and Anthony Mcdonald-Tipunhoweveryouspellit.

Not exactly topping up when you are trading in 23-25 year olds though are you?

I wonder what you were saying about Richmond's list prior to 2017 when they were perennial cellar dwellers.

I still don't quite get where you are coming from though. We barely have any players on our list that we have traded in and again, if you are not looking to improve your list through quality young talent (eg Dunkley) then you are being negligent as a football club.

You should know from your 2016 season that things can change very quickly. You don't have to cut right down to the bone and do a complete rebuild from the draft every time you have a bad season. Our core group is very young and some experience (whilst still young) talent is exactly what we need.

Who is talking about cutting to the bone? Who is talking about complete rebuilds? My point, which you keep missing (probably conveniently, as I don’t believe you are dense), is that Essendon have not drafted a player with a first rounder since 2016. As a dogs fan, I know full well that 2016 is a long time ago in a footballing sense.

I’m not talking about the trades that every club do. Eg. Bringing in depth players by using future 3rds, or swapping 4ths. I’m talking about the strategy of using first rounders over several years for the purpose of trades. I can’t recall off the top of my head a club going that long without drafting a first rounder. And despite all this, there is talk of more first rounders being traded away in the event Dunkley chooses to go there. Hence my throw away comment “Essendon hate using first rounders”, or words to that effect.

It is clearly a strategy the club has pursued and is seemingly willing to pursue again. Is it a strategy that is better served to a club closer to a flag? I think yes, you may think otherwise.

What about Essendons 2021 1st?

Murmurings its a great draft, the dons won't be going back up the ladder quickly anytime soon.
I don't think it'll be done for anything under two first round picks. Could potentially involve a player whether that is an Essendon player or another one the dogs are wanting to get from somewhere else.

Well you wouldn't do it would you?

Some very very good footballers have gone for 2 firsts.

With Daniher gone, TBH I think should be going rebuild mode. And yeah I rate Daniher too highly.

I just reckon he will flourish on the end of that vris
If I were power I would team up with Jmac and rip Dodo a new 1.

Dons trade their future first, pick 6 and daniher compo to get Dunkley & caldwell. Dogs get dons future first, O'halloran and 40. GWS get 6 and danniher compo.

I think Dodoro has an eye on involving Carlton. If Carlton cough up something the Bulldogs want to satisfy the Saad deal.

As for a reaming. Trades don't really work that way. Its gotta be win win otherwise it doesn't happen.

The dons will pay a bit more to make it happen. Dunkley should be professional to play on well at the dogs if it doesnt happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back