Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Can someone more knowledgeable then me work with the idea of

1. Daniher for a bris pic this year and next
2. Saad for future Carlton pic

This frees up future picks for Dunkley and allows dons to comply with keeping first rounders rules.

end Result something like
Doggies in: picks to satisfy this years gun (more pick then their first). Plus two future top 10 picks.

doggies out. First this year + dunkley

Essendon out: Saad, daniher, Fantasia, future first, later picks this year to help doggies points.

In: Dunkley and doggies first bris future first.

Value Dunkley as two top 10s. Essendon keep a later first in both drafts for the rules and get dunkely.

We need to use 2 x first round selections in this draft to qualify, so in theory we could swap some later picks this year, offering more points to the Dogs, for their 2020 first, and take our 2020 first. Which should then allow us to trade out our 2021 first, which likely appeals more to the Bulldogs.

I saw somewhere else that theoretically we might do something like:

Out: Saad
In: Carlton 2021 First

then

Out: Carlton 2021 First + EFC 2021 First
In: Dunkley + Bulldogs 2020 First

Obviously there might be additional selections moved around alongside the first rounders.

We could easily just trade Pick 12, and our 2021 2nd and 3rd picks to Collingwood for Treloar, Pick 35 and Pick 37. Both clubs need the extra picks for their academy selections (Wb - JUH 2020) and (Coll - Daicos 2021).

Why would we involve ourselves in a 3 way trade (thus diluting Dunkleys value). Collingwood have basically thrown Treloar out the door whilst we are pretty hellbent on retaining Dunkley.

I literally said it was just an example of how a three way trade would function.

We need to use two x first round selections in this draft to qualify, so in theory we could swap some later picks this year, offering more points to the Dogs, for their 2020 first, and take our 2020 first. Which should then allow us to trade out our 2021 first, which likely appeals more to the Bulldogs.

I saw somewhere else that theoretically we might do something like:

Out: Saad
In: Carlton 2021 First

then

Out: Carlton 2021 First + EFC 2021 First
In: Dunkley + Bulldogs 2020 First

Obviously there might be additional selections moved around alongside the first rounders.

Too big a risk in my view from our perspective. Lets say for the point of this argument we dont get Treloar but still offload Dunkley.

We need picks this year and Collingwood next year. Its as simple as this.

Dogs give to Collingwood
Pick 12, 2021 2nd, 2021 3rd

Dogs get from Collingwood
Future First, Pick 35, Pick 37

Picks 35, 36 (our pick we currently own), Pick 37 and Pick 48 (our 3rd rounder) = 1809 points. We would only need to obtain another pick in the 50's to equal a pick 2 Bid (which is 2517).

We can easily get the points required for JUH plus obtain a 2021 future first without using Dunkley in any sort of trade.

I literally said it was just an example of how a three way trade would function.

I hope our club is smart enough to make the seperate deals rather than diluting Dunkleys value just because of any potential interest in Treloar.

Collingwood has decreased Treloars value just like we decreased Stringers.

Too big a risk in my view from our perspective. Lets say for the point of this argument we dont get Treloar but still offload Dunkley.

We need picks this year and Collingwood next year. Its as simple as this.

Dogs give to Collingwood
Pick 12, 2021 2nd, 2021 3rd

Dogs get from Collingwood
Future First, Pick 35, Pick 37

Picks 35, 36 (our pick we currently own), Pick 37 and Pick 48 (our 3rd rounder) = 1809 points. We would only need to obtain another pick in the 50's to equal a pick 2 Bid (which is 2517).

We can easily get the points required for JUH plus obtain a 2021 future first without using Dunkley in any sort of trade.

This is the Josh Dunkley thread, so yes, whilst you can posit trades not involving Josh Dunkley, it seems somewhat appropriate to discuss the player the entire thread is about here.

This is the Josh Dunkley thread, so yes, whilst you can posit trades not involving Josh Dunkley, it seems somewhat appropriate to discuss the player the entire thread is about here.

I posted it because it seems relevant as to how we dont have to impact the Dunkley trade. Point being we aren't going to be forced to use Dunkley to get the additional draft points we can acquire.

I posted it because it seems relevant as to how we dont have to impact the Dunkley trade. Point being we aren't going to be forced to use Dunkley to get the additional draft points we can acquire.

Of course the Bulldogs aren't going to be forced to trade Dunkley for points. But that's not really the point here is it?

Seeing pages of draft pick offers. Highly doubt that is what the Dogs are after. A similar level and age player appropriate.

Would love to see Sam Power quote Dodoro's words when discussing Paddy Ryder:

Bombers recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said there had been little movement in discussions with the Power on Monday as Ryder, who has two years to run on his contract, seeks a move to Alberton.

Talks appear set to drag out after the Bombers rejected Port Adelaide's offer of its first pick in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft (No.16 overall), with the possibility a third club will become involved in negotiations.

"We want a quality player in return," Dodoro said as the Bombers' camp left Etihad Stadium on Monday afternoon.

"He's a quality player, he's at the peak of his powers as an AFL ruckman, so we want what's fair.

"We want apples for apples, not apples for a bag of peanuts, basically.

"They know what we're after … the ball is back in their court."

www.essendonfc.com.au

Ryder trade only for a quality player
Essendon wants a quality player in return for ruckman Patrick Ryder, not just a bag of peanuts, with the ball in Port Adelaide's court after day one of the NAB AFL Trade Period.
www.essendonfc.com.au
www.essendonfc.com.au

An

Of course the Bulldogs aren't going to be forced to trade Dunkley for points. But that's not really the point here is it?

You made a trade scenario in which we give up pick 12 in addition to Dunkley to get 2 future firsts. I proposed we can trade pick 12 to a club to get one of those future firsts (that being Collingwood's future first) without involving Dunkley at all.

Got no idea why anyone is adding Treloar to the mix lol. If Dunkley midfield minutes is the issue that everyone seems to froth over - Treloar would end up playing wing or half forward for us.

Seeing pages of draft pick offers. Highly doubt that is what the Dogs are after. A similar level and age player appropriate.

Bombers recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said there had been little movement in discussions with the Power on Monday as Ryder, who has two years to run on his contract, seeks a move to Alberton.

Talks appear set to drag out after the Bombers rejected Port Adelaide's offer of its first pick in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft (No.16 overall), with the possibility a third club will become involved in negotiations.

"We want a quality player in return," Dodoro said as the Bombers' camp left Etihad Stadium on Monday afternoon.

"He's a quality player, he's at the peak of his powers as an AFL ruckman, so we want what's fair.

www.essendonfc.com.au

Essendon wants a quality player in return for ruckman Patrick Ryder, not just a bag of peanuts, with the ball in Port Adelaide's court after day one of the NAB AFL Trade Period.
www.essendonfc.com.au
www.essendonfc.com.au

An
You mean where we ended up accepting picks?

www.essendonfc.com.au

www.essendonfc.com.au
www.essendonfc.com.au

An

Haha yep!

You made a trade scenario in which we give up pick 12 in addition to Dunkley to get 2 future firsts. I proposed we can trade pick 12 to a club to get one of those future firsts (that being Collingwood's future first) without involving Dunkley at all.

I didn't make up the scenario, I said it was one I'd seen elsewhere that allowed EFC to trade out our future first. And I also put in a note that there would be likely additional pick swaps outside the first round.

I mean, I'm not sure what more I can do to qualify that these posts are just theoretical examples of things that were in response to a question someone asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean where we ended up accepting picks?

You mean the Patrick Ryder who was traded for picks 17 and 37 on October 16 (ten days later)?

I'm not sure you've gone with the best example there.

Not strictly apples/apples as we won't be basically forced to trade due to...well you know...quote is there more to illustrate the thought process when dealing with trade requests from contracted players from one of the greatest recruiters ever not to have his side win a final in 16 yrs but who always wins trade week. Sam Power should be going to school with Adrian's work.

Pretty frustrating isn't it. We have arguably the best one-two punch midfield in the league in Bont/Macrae, one of the best young mids in Smith (who offers a point of difference with his speed) and Liberatore who was absolutely outstanding upon his return.

Dunkley was basically a victim of his injury and having his position covered really well when he was gone. Was then thrown primarily forward due to our lack of good options and the shorter quarters.

You'd have to suggest financial incentive and saving his brothers career is a massive reason why this is potentially happening.
I'd add that he becomes our primary inside mid as well
He was AA squad last year. Must be a consideration, as those accolades are handy when negotiating next contract.

Haha yep!

You mean the Patrick Ryder who was traded for picks 17 and 37 on October 16 (ten days later)?

I didn’t post it. But I’m seeking abit of apples for apples action.

www.essendonfc.com.au

www.essendonfc.com.au
www.essendonfc.com.au

An
you are welcome to pick 17 & 37 for Dunkley :p

Depending on the Bulldogs interest in Treloar (and vice versa) here are the bones of a trade proposal I posted on our board:

Essendon
IN: Dunkley, Pick 12 2020
OUT: Pick 6, 7 or 8 + 2021 1st Round Pick

Bulldogs
IN: Treloar (Pies cover a % of salary), 2021 1st Round Pick (Ess)
OUT: Dunkley, Pick 12 2020

Collingwood
IN: Pick 6, 7 or 8
OUT: Treloar

If the Dogs/Pies need points (JUH 2020/Daicos 2021) there could always be pick upgrades/swaps thrown in there somewhere.

Last edited:
Not strictly apples/apples as we won't be basically forced to trade due to...well you know...quote is there more to illustrate the thought process of one of the greatest recruiters ever not to have his side win a final in 16 yrs but who always wins trade week. Sam Power should be going to school with Adrian's work.

Fair enough to post 3-way trades. I just think if I was in Sam Power's position I'd negotiate deals directly with clubs.

I'm sure Power references the Daniher deal that was offered last year and expects a similar return for Dunkley.

Depending on the Bulldogs interest in Treloar (and vice versa) here are the bones of a trade proposal I posted on our board:

Essendon
OUT: Pick 6, 7 or 8, 2021 1st Round Pick

Bulldogs

Collingwood

If the Dogs/Pies need points (JUH 2020/Daicos 2021) there could always be pick upgrades/swaps thrown in there somewhere.

Again, why would the bulldogs want Adam Treloar if we “can’t fit dunks in our midfield”?

Essendon

Bulldogs

Collingwood

So Collingwood get pick 6 and 7 for a bloke they just tossed out the door?

And we get a pretty minimal pick upgrade and Treloar replacing Dunkley.

No.

Essendon

Bulldogs

Collingwood

You sure you’re not a pies fan?

Essendon

Bulldogs

Collingwood

I'm assuming you're meaning one pick out of 6, 7 or 8. If you meant 2 from those, that's insane.

Dogs get ripped off, Essendon get an amazing deal, Collingwood get overs given the situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back