Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Fair enough to post 3-way trades. I just think if I was in Sam Power's position I'd negotiate deals directly with clubs.

I'm sure Power references the Daniher deal that was offered last year and expects a similar return for Dunkley.

Three ways are fine. Not sure they happen that often.

I'm not sure why Sam would reference a bloke who barely gets on the park unless it was to ask for more than what Ess knocked back last year for sleepy Joe.

Three ways are fine. Not sure they happen that often.

I'm not sure why Sam would reference a bloke who barely gets on the park unless it was to ask for more than what Ess knocked back last year for sleepy Joe.

Because it shows how much Dodoro wants for his players.

Is Josh Dunkley in 2020 worth any less than Joe Daniher was in 2019??

Daniher wasn't really an example, he was never getting traded.

Now, if the Dogs are unwilling to trade Dunkley, then they'll put a price on his head far and away above his value, just like EFC did last year with Daniher.

His brother won't play a game for them. It's absurd, but clever by the Dons.
I hate to bring Richmond into it, but our success has been built around blokes playing their role and being happy with it and the success it brings.
Surely Dunkley could see that the Dogs are on the verge of at least sustained finals.
With the greatest of respect to the Bombers but they are years away from it.
I feel like im one of the lease bias supporters for red and black

but if you can add Dunkley, P.Wright and Caldwell whilst holding Zac Merrett

The entire group of best 22 would be in the 23-30 yr age bracket all in its prime age. Weve seen the tigers, Brisbane and this year Port rise from that 10-13 range upto top line success very quick. All things went well.

Plenty of games missed from Ambrose, A.Francis, Hurley, Heppell, Redman, A.Mcgrath, Draper, J.Stewart, Stringer, Laverde. Wed need all them fit and healthy but its a huge chunk in a season away from home when the chips are down the head sinks even further pretty easily. That group arent a list of spuds either, im sure most can agree with that.

No he isnt

Daniher wasn't really an example, he was never getting traded.

Now, if the Dogs are unwilling to trade Dunkley, then they'll put a price on his head far and away above his value, just like EFC did last year with Daniher.

Why wasn't he traded ? It was a fantastic deal.

If Bontempelli had only played 11 games in 2 seasons and a club offered pick 9 and a future first (especially a club like the swans who were predicted bottom 10) then I'd probably take it.

Why wasn't he traded ? It was a fantastic deal.

Because the club (not just Dodoro) decided they didn't want to trade him, for whatever reason. So they put a price on his head that Sydney were never going to pay.

Also, keep in mind Sydney never actually had Pick 9. So it was a hypothetical trade offer, based on a selection they didn't actually have, and Pick 5 (which they did have) was never offered.

I have doubts either party was trying particularly hard to make that trade happen.

So depending on whether Dunkley really does want out, and then, whether the Bulldogs really are willing to trade him, will dictate what they'll accept.

If they don't want to trade him, then they'll just put a ridiculous price on his head that probably won't be matched.

Mate I was being sarcastic apologies.
Honestly doubt this will even get to discussion and if it did it would be short. Ess just don't have the assets to offer anything meaningful in the way of players of a similar age and ability to Josh.

Maybe Adrian is positioning things for a crack at Josh next year.

I feel like im one of the lease bias supporters for red and black

but if you can add Dunkley, P.Wright and Caldwell whilst holding Zac Merrett

The entire group of best 22 would be in the 23-30 yr age bracket all in its prime age. Weve seen the tigers, Brisbane and this year Port rise from that 10-13 range upto top line success very quick. All things went well.

Plenty of games missed from Ambrose, A.Francis, Hurley, Heppell, Redman, A.Mcgrath, Draper, J.Stewart, Stringer, Laverde. Wed need all them fit and healthy but its a huge chunk in a season away from home when the chips are down the head sinks even further pretty easily. That group arent a list of spuds either, im sure most can agree with that.
Don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but if you believe the rumblings, the culture needs to change much more quickly than the list.

Fair call.
Did you see the Open Mike with Andrew Dunkley? Didn't attend a function interstate because he couldn't be away from his three adult 'kids'.
I'd say offering to draft his brother is actually a masterstroke.
They’re a weirdly close family.

Don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but if you believe the rumblings, the culture needs to change much more quickly than the list.

Yep i agree

But were almost fully through the players involved in the drug saga. Hurley, Heppell would be the only 2 still in the best side that were involved. Ones the captain.

I think 'culture' is an easy thing to turn to and say. Its never as good or as bad as whats stated. I agree weve had some sooks and thats bled into the group. Daniher, Mckenna, Fantasia. Even Saad not wanting to play on C.Cameron. I mean i cant believe players even say that. Players maybe have too much control their but instead of saying to a controlling group, you cant have control, find a way to work with it and slightly diminish it. Thats Ruttens control and issue. I hope hes having a good hard look at himself and i think without Woosha hopefully things seem clearer in the coaching ranks to the players.

Anyway dont want to disarray this thread about Josh Dunkley.

Hed be moving due to a combination of things i feel. Opportunity to his brother which he can control, midfield opportunity and also a bit of extra weight in the pockets. I dont think he will request a trade because i also feel he doesnt mind staying if he has to but sounds like his preference is to leave but not to the point where he cant walk back through the doors, a loved type.

Seeing pages of draft pick offers. Highly doubt that is what the Dogs are after. A similar level and age player appropriate.

Would love to see Sam Power quote Dodoro's words when discussing Paddy Ryder:

Bombers recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said there had been little movement in discussions with the Power on Monday as Ryder, who has two years to run on his contract, seeks a move to Alberton.

Talks appear set to drag out after the Bombers rejected Port Adelaide's offer of its first pick in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft (No.16 overall), with the possibility a third club will become involved in negotiations.

"We want a quality player in return," Dodoro said as the Bombers' camp left Etihad Stadium on Monday afternoon.

"He's a quality player, he's at the peak of his powers as an AFL ruckman, so we want what's fair.

"We want apples for apples, not apples for a bag of peanuts, basically.

"They know what we're after … the ball is back in their court."

www.essendonfc.com.au

Ryder trade only for a quality player
Essendon wants a quality player in return for ruckman Patrick Ryder, not just a bag of peanuts, with the ball in Port Adelaide's court after day one of the NAB AFL Trade Period.
www.essendonfc.com.au
www.essendonfc.com.au

An

fwiw gws offered pick 4 for Ryder from memory.

Didn’t matter as Ryder didn’t want to go there

We traded him to port for 17 and 37 in a super weak draft.

Crazy unders but we were forced to allow players to break contracts and accept unders due to asada so not really apples to apples. That wouldn’t happen in a normal year or now days with future picks.

Yes. 100%
This isn't a debate at all. You are really overrating Dunkley's career. Elite KPFs are more valuable than mids, let alone mids that cannot crack a talented midfield group.

If Bont was out for two years, do you think Dunkley 2020 would be worth more or equal to him? If Dogs only had to keep one, who would they keep?
If opposition clubs were to overpay for one, who would they overpay for? It'll be Bont of course.

Your perspective of Dunkley is why Dunkley is reportedly considering a move to Essendon. You're valuing him based on what he could do, not what he has done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Collingwood get pick 6 and 7 for a bloke they just tossed out the door?

And we get a pretty minimal pick upgrade and Treloar replacing Dunkley.

No.

No, to clarify, Pies would receive either one of Pick 6, 7 OR 8 from Essendon.

Bulldogs would receive Treloar PLUS our first round pick next year which could well be a top 5 pick in exchange for Dunkley and Pick 12 this year which by all reports you won’t be using anyway due to the expected JUH bid.

I also added the caveat of pick swaps/upgrades to suit teams bid scenarios and/or to sweeten the deal.

Yes. 100%
This isn't a debate at all. You are really overrating Dunkley's career. Elite KPFs are more valuable than mids, let alone mids that cannot crack a talented midfield group.

If Bont was out for two years, do you think Dunkley 2020 would be worth more or equal to him? If Dogs only had to keep one, who would they keep?
If opposition clubs were to overpay for one, who would they overpay for? It'll be Bont of course.

Your perspective of Dunkley is why Dunkley is reportedly considering a move to Essendon. You're valuing him based on what he could do, not what he has done.

No, we're basing it off what we've SEEN HIM DO ALREADY, when allowed to play in his preferred (and best) position. AA40 in 2019, when he was shifted into a more permanent role in the guts after about Rd 7 (from memory?).

We've seen close to his ceiling, and Dodo has too, which is why he's trying to pry him out 2 years early.

If Libba goes down with his knee in the JLT (or whatever they call it these days) like 2015, and we've just shipped off an in-contract Dunkley for a relative pittance, I'll drive to Footscray and hand out the pitchforks and torches, because the people will be coming!

I'm assuming you're meaning one pick out of 6, 7 or 8. If you meant 2 from those, that's insane.

Dogs get ripped off, Essendon get an amazing deal, Collingwood get overs given the situation.

Yes, as I stated in my post Pick 6, 7 OR 8 from Essendon to Collingwood.

I also stated a caveat of pick swaps/upgrades to suit parties who need them for points to cover bids (JUH/Daicos).

Dogs essentially receive Treloar and a (potential) top 5 pick next year for Dunkley and a pick that was going to get eaten up by a bid on JUH.

If they’re not interested in Treloar then fair enough.

Yes. 100%

Elite KPFs are more valuable I do agree.
However you take into consideration durability, age and contract status means that Dunkley is every bit as much worth now as Daniher was last year.
Daniher has chronic groin issues that Sydney were taking a massive chance on. And yet still offered two top ten picks which were rejected. We should be asking for the exact same deal for a player that isn’t heading into free agency, almost 2 years younger at the time and doesn’t have chronic soft issue injuries.

I think the problem is that Collingwood is ecstatic, Essendon pretty well off and we get a terrible deal.

Treloar's worth has been destroyed. And we are taking the punt that Essendon could finish bottom 5. No thanks.

I did add a caveat that pick upgrades/swaps can be added in to even out the deal (for example Collingwood sending you a 2nd rounder for a 3rd/4th in return).

I would also expect Collingwood to pay a % of Treloar’s salary.

If you’re not interested in Treloar then fair enough but if you are I’d be surprised if something couldn’t be worked out. Given a lot of Dogs posters on here have suggested Merrett be part of a trade I think Treloar is a highly comparable alternative.

I did add a caveat that pick upgrades/swaps can be added in to even out the deal (for example Collingwood sending you a 2nd rounder for a 3rd/4th in return).

If you’re not interested in Treloar then fair enough but if you are I’d be surprised if something couldn’t be worked out. Given a lot of Dogs posters on here have suggested Merrett be part of a trade I think Treloar is a highly comparable alternative.
Merrett and Treloars value are nothing alike though.

Yes, as I stated in my post Pick 6, 7 OR 8 from Essendon to Collingwood.

I also stated a caveat of pick swaps/upgrades to suit parties who need them for points to cover bids (JUH/Daicos).

Dogs essentially receive Treloar and a (potential) top 5 pick next year for Dunkley and a pick that was going to get eaten up by a bid on JUH.

If they’re not interested in Treloar then fair enough.
Your use of commas left it open for interpretation both ways (as evidenced by the other responses). Not sure pick swaps would be enough to balance it out, maybe if Dogs ended up with an extra couple of picks in the 20s. I doubt the dogs would have interest in Treloar though.

Think Essendon posters are forgetting that there is a good chance that Dogs and Collingwood do a pick swap to get the points required for JUH this year and Daicos next year. Subsequently protecting our first rounders. As i said in another post.

Dogs give
Pick 12, 2021 2nd, 2021 3rd
Coll give
2021 first, pick 35, pick 37

If we wanted Treloar we could simply offer pick 12 directly. I'm actually expecting us to look at Treloar if Dunkley goes. But why would we dilute the massive overs we could receive for Dunkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back