Votes: 176 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesslc

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
AFL Players' rankings are currently being revealed in parts on AFL.com and the top 5 players remain hidden.

Josh Kelly has yet to be named so unless he hasn't been voted in the top 50, he is ranked in the top 5 (Likely scenario).

He now sits ahead of a long list of A-grade players including his fellow 2013 draftee-star Marcus Bontempelli (who sits at 15th).

He will also sit amongst Fyfe, Dangerfield, Franklin and Dusty in the top 5 (Easy prediction, really).

Is his spot Deserved?

Last edited:
Probably doesn’t deserve to be top 5 right now, I mean if I had to pick Kelly or Sloane for the 2018 (just the 2018 season not taking into account age, future etc) I would be picking Sloane. Could say the same about a number of players.. To me he is top 5 based on what people believe he could be not of what he has actually produced. He has had 1 great year. That doesn’t make him a top 5 players imo

Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe and Franklin are the top 4 players comfortably at the moment. As for who is in that 5-25 range it’s a bit harder.
Rance, J.McGovern, Kelly, Kennedy, Kennedy, Daniher, Zorko, Gray, Sloane, Selwood, Ablett (injured though), Bontempelli, T.Mitchell, Laird, Rioli, Betts, Shiel, Treloar, Merrett, Ryder, Parker and M.Crouch are all in the next group.

He's not top five for me but I weight consistent performance over a decent period of time very highly.

He was, however, voted no 3 in the AFLPA awards last season, so it's not a surprise to see him rated this highly in this poll.

Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe and Franklin are the top 4 players comfortably at the moment. As for who is in that 5-25 range it’s a bit harder.
Rance, J.McGovern, Kelly, Kennedy, Kennedy, Daniher, Zorko, Gray, Sloane, Selwood, Ablett (injured though), Bontempelli, T.Mitchell, Laird, Rioli, Betts, Shiel, Treloar, Merrett, Ryder, Parker and M.Crouch are all in the next group.
Bolded have no right to be there.

Depends on how you are weighting the list. Normally with these sorts of lists it can take a few years of playing at this level to get recognized, but based on 2017 alone and a look to what he could do in 2018 i would have him in the top 5 players.

Absolute superstar and the players got it right in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha wow Rance before Selwood. A lot changes in a year but funnily enough not the 10 years before that

1.6 mil a year for 10 years isnt "gone hard at"?

He def deserves top 5.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not sure that we raised it that, and I can't find a source for your figures. The most recent reputable number is $9mil for 9. But yes, we could have gone harder and not worried about Martin. I think that in nine years, $1.5 million would have been seen as a steal for North if player payments keep rising.

Not sure that we raised it that, and I can't find a source for your figures. The most recent reputable number is $9mil for 9. But yes, we could have gone harder and not worried about Martin. I think that in nine years, $1.5 million would have been seen as a steal for North if player payments keep rising.
Sorry it was 10 mill for 9 years.

Anyway yeah at the end of that 9 years it would probably be cheap.
But the beginning and during those years it would be expensive.

Fyfe needs to prove that he can get back to his best in the real AFL season. I'm not doubting that he can but on last years performance (which is well below what he's capable of) he wasn't even in the best 25 in the comp. Obviously the year before that he was injured so its been a few years 2015 since we saw him at that true elite level.

For me its more like Dangerfield and Martin 1 and 2. Then the rest of the guys. Franklin isn't a level above based on recent years performances (in fact its quite easy to argue Kennedy has been outperforming him).

Sorry it was 10 mill for 9 years.

Anyway yeah at the end of that 9 years it would probably be cheap.
But the beginning and during those years it would be expensive.

Yep, sometimes you have to pay overs to pay unders. Just like GWS is doing with Greene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Josh Kelly vs Marcus Bontempelli - who would you take now

Back