Moved Thread Josh Kelly vs Marcus Bontempelli - who would you take now

Who would you take right now?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 132 42.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 176 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Kelly is a gun but feel like his top 5 spot is maybe based (to a degree) on hype and his potential. Another big 2018 and could easily be in the convo though IMO.

Personally (bias aside), think Rance probably deserves a spot in that top 5. Been probably the best defender the last 4 or so seasons (only player to be in the AA team for all those years pretty sure) and coming off a season where he was voted AA captain. Then again, you can throw a blanket over the absolute top echelon of talent in the league so not an easy exercise to squeeze into a small group. Someone will always be unlucky to miss out.
Your last point is key. Realistically you could rank Rance in the top 3 players in the league. He’s arguably better than Dusty even but it’s splitting hairs when you get to the top 10 players in the comp.

Shiel is, yes underrated, but he's been injured which has fairly hurt his standings. Coniglio doesn't have the runs on the board that Kelly or even Shiel has.

I love Cotchin, but I'd take Kelly.
Coniglio's breakout year of 2016 was just about as good as Kelly's 2017 it just doesn't get the press because he's not as smooth a mover. He was the Giants best in and under player, restricted opposition stars and got plenty of the ball and used it well.

I'd take Kelly to play at my club, anyone would, but these rankings are for how well a player performs as of right now and Cotchin's start of 2017 and finals series was amazing and I'd have that over Kelly's flashier and more consistent but less impact footy. If I'm listing players for a one off game tomorrow then I'm picking Cotchin above Kelly, heck I'm probably picking Cotchin as the 4th best mid in the comp.

I don’t think Martin is a great kick. Sloane is far better than him and Dangerfield. I rate Sloane the best midfielder in the AFL.
How do you rate Sloane as the best in the comp? He has shown a massive weakness to be tagged out of games at times. He is a gun and one of the best in the comp still, but no idea how you can have him ahead of those others.

Betts probably the best naturally gifted small fwd but i like the added aggression of Greene.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I'd take Greene over Betts in a heartbeat, but mostly based on age and that IMO Greene is well ahead of where Betts was at the same stage in their careers. But if was to pick a player for this year and this year only (i.e. the best in the game) it would be pretty hard to go past Betts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take Greene over Betts in a heartbeat, but mostly based on age and that IMO Greene is well ahead of where Betts was at the same stage in their careers. But if was to pick a player for this year and this year only (i.e. the best in the game) it would be pretty hard to go past Betts.

Each to their own

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don’t think Martin is a great kick. Sloane is far better than him and Dangerfield. I rate Sloane the best midfielder in the AFL.
Martin is a great kick. A lot of his disposals are under intense pressure, which screws with anyones disposal. Watch him when he gets a bit of space and 9 out of 10 kicks end up to advantage at the minimum.

Martin is a great kick. A lot of his disposals are under intense pressure, which screws with anyones disposal. Watch him when he gets a bit of space and 9 out of 10 kicks end up to advantage at the minimum.

He gets it 700 times a year and still delivers quality numbers as a forward pocket.

Has to currently be top 3.

easily. if I could pick any player to join the Saints, I'd pick Kelly

Agree.

As a 23 year old he would be the first player picked by anyone.

He should be clocking up 850 a season in the next few years.

Coniglio's breakout year of 2016 was just about as good as Kelly's 2017 it just doesn't get the press because he's not as smooth a mover. He was the Giants best in and under player, restricted opposition stars and got plenty of the ball and used it well.

I think it doesn't get the same amount of press because it wasn't as good. Kelly finished in the top ten in the AFLCA award, an award I highly rate. Coniglio didn't do the same in 2016.

I'd take Kelly to play at my club, anyone would, but these rankings are for how well a player performs as of right now and Cotchin's start of 2017 and finals series was amazing and I'd have that over Kelly's flashier and more consistent but less impact footy. If I'm listing players for a one off game tomorrow then I'm picking Cotchin above Kelly, heck I'm probably picking Cotchin as the 4th best mid in the comp.

I think amazing is overselling it, and I say this as someone who desperately would like to believe you're right given I thought bigfooty treated too harshly before then. But he wasn't great on grand final day, receiving no Norm Smith votes, and had two good games against Geelong and GWS. Does that mean he's the 4th best midfielder in the competition on the back of two good finals performances? I think I need to see more.

Martin is a great kick. He pulls off kicks not many players can. Sloane is good but he's a bit limited as he doesn't have a great forward game and can be tagged out of games. I suspect those two issues are connected. He often gets accolades based on how tough and determined he is, which is great. But Martin's accolades usually come from his skillset. And toughness can only take you so far.

Martin is a great kick. He pulls off kicks not many players can. Sloane is good but he's a bit limited as he doesn't have a great forward game and can be tagged out of games. I suspect those two issues are connected. He often gets accolades based on how tough and determined he is, which is great. But Martin's accolades usually come from his skillset. And toughness can only take you so far.

Martin is the reigning clanger and turnover king of the competition.

You have just overcooked this omelette.

How do you rate Sloane as the best in the comp? He has shown a massive weakness to be tagged out of games at times. He is a gun and one of the best in the comp still, but no idea how you can have him ahead of those others.
He improved his ability to shake a tag throughout 2017. I personally feel as though as a footballer he has everything in one package and is perfectly rounded, make no mistake, it’s a hairline difference between him and Martin.

Haha wow Rance before Selwood. A lot changes in a year but funnily enough not the 10 years before that

"Rance before Selwood."
As he should be

Elite kp players are harder to come by than elite mids which are easy as piss to manufacture

For everyone bar us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Josh Kelly vs Marcus Bontempelli - who would you take now

Back