Moved Thread Josh Kelly vs Marcus Bontempelli - who would you take now

Who would you take right now?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 132 42.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 176 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would even take Tim Kelly above Bontempelli.

Yes but with your track record you’d probably have rathered Andrew McDougall over Chris Grant.

We’ve scarred you

You have a deep-seated hatred of the smaller vic clubs and 2016 broke you
I really like North Melbourne and Melbourne. I don't mind St. Kilda.

When we bundled you out of the finals in 2016 on your home deck.
I don't mind it that much. I only get annoyed knowing that West Coast and other clubs had to subsidise that premiership.

I don't mind it that much. I only get annoyed knowing that West Coast and other clubs had to subsidise that premiership.

And there we have it. Another kwality clone

Bontempelli is overrated in the media.

Gun player, but he gets votes because he stands out in a side with a million midfielder types and just serviceable KPP's.
You can make the same argument for josh Kelly. Surrounded by premium talent at every position. Only difference is he’s also surrounded by premium KPF talent as well. But just isn’t close to being as durable as the Bont.

The Bont has taken his game to another level this year. Only thing holding him back this year is his 11:22 goal scoring.
If he cleaned that up it wouldn’t even be a debate. As a north fan you’d give up heaven and earth for him. Just as you would for Kelly.

Gun player, but he gets votes because he stands out in a side with a million midfielder types and just serviceable KPP's.
Wouldn't it be more difficult to stand out in a side with "a million midfielder types" if he were playing in the same position as them? Granted, it helps to have a good midfield that works together well, but that argument should be reserved for someone like Cripps who is often the only Carlton player worthy of receiving votes and stands out so clearly in a one-man midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't it be more difficult to stand out in a side with "a million midfielder types" if he were playing in the same position as them? Granted, it helps to have a good midfield that works together well, but that argument should be reserved for someone like Cripps who is often the only Carlton player worthy of receiving votes and stands out so clearly in a one-man midfield.

Bit harsh on Sam Walsh friend. Kid is already a star at just 19.

On this years form I reckon you could make a very strong argument that Bont could be the number #1 player in the league

Meh. Bont's been very good but best player in the league? I reckon that hands down belongs to Lachie Neale. Ultra consistent, clean disposal and a clearance monster. Bont, despite all the good things he does, is still a bit of a turnover merchant and is too wasteful in front of goal. He absolutely has the potential to be the #1 player in the game though, just needs to be a bit more polished.

Meh. Bont's been very good but best player in the league? I reckon that hands down belongs to Lachie Neale. Ultra consistent, clean disposal and a clearance monster. Bont, despite all the good things he does, is still a bit of a turnover merchant and is too wasteful in front of goal. He absolutely has the potential to be the #1 player in the game though, just needs to be a bit more polished.
Turn over merchant and more polished? wow

Turn over merchant and more polished? wow

Yep, I stand by my assessment. Bont is a great player, but he's not infallible; and I see those aforementioned as being deficiencies in his game. A lot of the stuff he does is really, really classy - but I still see him torch the ball by foot too often for a player that some are making claims to be the best in the league. Can't argue with 13 goals, 23 behinds either. That's not a good conversion by any stretch of the imagination.

Yep, I stand by my assessment. Bont is a great player, but he's not infallible; and I see those aforementioned as being deficiencies in his game. A lot of the stuff he does is really, really classy - but I still see him torch the ball by foot too often for a player that some are making claims to be the best in the league. Can't argue with 13 goals, 23 behinds either. That's not a good conversion by any stretch of the imagination.
That’s a fair assessment i suppose. If Bont had kicked more goals than just 13:23 compared to Neales 7:6 than we may not even having the discussion. His goal kicking is the only thing holding him back from becoming the Best in the AFL. (I have Cripps #1
His field kicking is fine. May turn one over every now and then. But so does Neale, the guy you’re claiming to be the best in the game. Bont also has an extra 200m per game more than Neale so he’s executing more kicks. And more long and difficult kicks than Neale does.

your a north Supporter mate he kills your boys every time we play you he in unreal look at what he has done the only thing he needs to achieve is Brownlow which well that not far off

That’s a fair assessment i suppose. If Bont had kicked more goals than just 13:23 compared to Neales 7:6 than we may not even having the discussion. His goal kicking is the only thing holding him back from becoming the Best in the AFL. (I have Cripps #1
His field kicking is fine. May turn one over every now and then. But so does Neale, the guy you’re claiming to be the best in the game. Bont also has an extra 200m per game more than Neale so he’s executing more kicks. And more long and difficult kicks than Neale does.

Fair points. Bont is certainly in the top echelon of players in the league, no doubt about that. Maybe I just find myself catching some of his poorer games - or it could be that I'm being particularly harsh on him due to the adulation that he gets from commentators. I'll try watching him more closely in the future.

There are 28 players in the game against Adelaide with a higher TOG percentage than Bont today. And he’s still the dominant player on the ground.

It’s this sort of impact why he’s better than Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Josh Kelly vs Marcus Bontempelli - who would you take now

Back