Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the guy he is a gun, he would waltz into the hawks best 22 easily IMHO now.

Having said that I doubt he could of become as good a player at hawthorn, same as McGlynn. Hawks fans rightly point out he was not in the best 22 at the time so what he would of done at hawthorn doesnt matter its not relevant

agreed, he was a monster in round 1 with the 7 goals

You mean this?

7xXfnl.png

Classic win-win-win trade.

Hawks traded out a player of a type they had a surplus of, and in the process gained a draft pick they used to recruit a promising young key defender, which they had a shortage of. Also, by granting JPK his wish at the trade table with no fuss, did the right thing by a family with massive connections to the club.

Swans gained a young player for relatively low cost, enabling them to replenish a list starting to feel the impact of retirements of premiership players while still remaining competitive.

Kennedy gained opportunities to show what he could do at a club that wanted and, more importantly, needed him. For many players, success is as much about opportunity as it is ability and application.

Successful trading is about both clubs improving their lists. Clubs should do more of it, rather than being pre-occupied with "winning" a trade.

Brilliant post Liz! We also got one Craig Bolton for similar reasons (although no family connection to Brisbane). Leigh Matthews told him at the time it was a good opportunity for him. He took it with both hands and became a favourite son. Kennedy has done the same, opportunity and great application. I do not think the two clubs involved in this were stupid at all, they made decisions based on their rosters and their circumstances, we did the same.

Burgoyne wasn't at Hawthorn when Kennedy was there. Kennedy departed at the conclusion of the 09 season and Burger arrived pre 2010. Lewis was also an injury prone/bit part midfielder at that stage. Getting rid of McGlynn and Kennedy at the same time was a bad move.

Hawthorn traded for Burgoyne earlier in the week and Kennedy and McGlynn were steak-knives deals later in the same trade week. IMO, it's fair to say that Hawthorn had plans for Burgoyne to be a silky inside midfielder to complement the grunt already present when they traded for him, which were derailed to an extent by the state of Burgoyne's knee injury.

Not sure where you got the idea that Lewis was an "injury prone/bit part midfielder at that time". He's been a very consistent midfielder for quite some time, even at the end of 2009.

McGlynn wanted a contract from Hawthorn that he was never going to get. Paul Roos told him that he would get what he wanted from Sydney, and away he went. I don't think Hawthorn rated McGlynn's footskills to be good enough to warrant the type of contract he was after and I don't think he's missed.

Losing Kennedy and then Tuck (for different reasons) upset Hawthorn's future planning, but we've made up for it with Shiels and a couple of other boys down at Box Hill that have promise.

Great start to the season. Like some have said before me he suits the SCG and the style of game that Swans play to a tee. Solid body to get under packs and dominated clearences.

He may lack a yard of pace but he gets the footy to his quicker outside runners.

Piick 39 Sam Grimley isnt really a KPD is he. More of a developing ruck

Hawthorn traded for Burgoyne earlier in the week and Kennedy and McGlynn were steak-knives deals later in the same trade week. IMO, it's fair to say that Hawthorn had plans for Burgoyne to be a silky inside midfielder to complement the grunt already present when they traded for him, which were derailed to an extent by the state of Burgoyne's knee injury.

Not sure where you got the idea that Lewis was an "injury prone/bit part midfielder at that time". He's been a very consistent midfielder for quite some time, even at the end of 2009.

McGlynn wanted a contract from Hawthorn that he was never going to get. Paul Roos told him that he would get what he wanted from Sydney, and away he went. I don't think Hawthorn rated McGlynn's footskills to be good enough to warrant the type of contract he was after and I don't think he's missed.

Losing Kennedy and then Tuck (for different reasons) upset Hawthorn's future planning, but we've made up for it with Shiels and a couple of other boys down at Box Hill that have promise.

I'm not saying Lewis wasn't a good player then, I just think he stepped up, came of age and established himself as an excellent and consistent midfielder last year, prior to that he was more of a utility. He still can be, but he has more of a pivotal on ball role for longer periods in games these days. The injury prone comment was incorrect, I could have sworn that he has missed a fair few games with injuries, but I just checked his games tally throughout the years and it's been very high so I must have been thinking of the wrong bloke.

Holy shit, srsly impressive

Boiled down to roughly this: (note 'boiled', I know there was many three way trades and swapping of picks but this is the end result)

In:
Shane Mumford, Ben Mcglynn, Josh P. Kennedy, Mark Seaby and Picks 14 and 55

Out:
Darren Jolly, Amon Buchanon, Barry Hall and Picks 22, 39, 46, 70 and 118

However the JPK trade has worked out exceptionally well for both clubs IMO with us picking up a clearance beast and hard-nut midget and Hawks gained Stratton, Grimley and another (sorry can't remember off the top of my head and it may be well past bed time :eek:)

Great start to the season. Like some have said before me he suits the SCG and the style of game that Swans play to a tee. Solid body to get under packs and dominated clearences.

He does alright at other grounds... ;):p

josh kennedy was a part of a fairly large overall trade that resulted in the following,

Sydney In - Shane Mumford, Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn, Mark Seaby, Pick 14 (Lewis Jetta) & Pick 55 (Trent Dennis-Lane)
Sydney Out - Darren Jolly, Barry Hall, Amon Buchanan, Pick 22 (2nd Round), Pick 70 (5th Round) & Pick 118 (7th Round)

Collingwood In - Darren Jolly
Collingwood Out - Pick 14 (1st Round) & Pick 46 (3rd Round)

Brisbane In - Brent Staker, Amon Buchanan & Pick 47 (Ryan Harwood)
Brisbane Out - Brad Dalziell & Pick 28 (2nd Round)

West Coast In - Brad Dalziell, Pick 22 (Gerrick Weedon) & Pick 118 (pass)
West Coast Out - Brent Staker, Mark Seaby, Pick 39 (3rd Round) & Pick 55 (4th Round)

Hawthorn In - Pick 39 (Sam Grimley), Pick 46 (Ben Stratton) & Pick 70 (Rookie Upgrade - Suckling)
Hawthorn Out - Josh Kennedy & Ben McGlynn

Bulldogs In - Barry Hall
Bulldogs Out - Pick 47 (3rd Round)

Geelong In - Pick 28 (Mitch Duncan)
Geelong Out - Shane Mumford

While it is true that Kennedy is now better than both Sewell and Lewis, from memory Sydney had a few retirements at that time that cleared up a serious chunk of salary cap. This allowed them to make offers to both Kennedy AND McGlynn that it would have made no sense for Hawthorn to match. It is not just about whether we could have afforded higher offers within our current cap, but also about not upsetting the applecart in terms of relative comparisons with other players at the time. You can't tell Sewell, "Sorry, we're now paying this guy close to what you are getting, despite the fact that he barely gets a game due to not getting half the stats you do, because we think in 3 years time he'll go past you". You might pay overs for future potential in some situations, but usually for players that had shown much more than JK had at that stage of his career. In hindsight it was probably a mistake, but given the situation at the time, 100% correct decision at that stage IMO. Would have eventually starred at Hawthorn, but happy his career blossomed that little bit earlier at the Swans. Maybe his family will start to whisper to him about homesickness, and we'll see a Croad-like return before his career is over :)

Also, the fact that we did the requested trades smoothly in the end, rather than playing the stupid hardball 'we'll make you go through the draft if you leave us' other clubs have done, is probably part of the reason players like Burgoyne, Gunston, Hale, Gibson etc have felt comfortable requesting trades to us. Other clubs may have been weary of dealing with Hawk's during trade week in recent years, but the club has always seemed to go out of its way to make sure players got what they wanted when requested, and potential incoming players probably see that. It has meant we've gotten unders on a few trades recently, but the subsequent goodwill between the club management and the playing group is probably a decent consolation. We are after all, a happy team at Hawthorn :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant believe some Hawks fans are still saying he wouldnt get a game in their midfield, seriously how stupid are you?

I cant believe some Hawks fans are still saying he wouldnt get a game in their midfield, seriously how stupid are you?

Why is that?

Opportunity is a wonderful thing and had he not have had that opportunity with Sydney, he may still be playing good games in the VFL and none of us would have been the wiser.

Remember that for every player that you want to put into a best 22, one has to come out.

BTW, Caltons Kennedy was the bigger trade "oops"

maybe with pick 1 carlton could have secured Judd without kennedy trade.

I suppose they have Kruiser :confused:

It's Kreuzer, thank you.
We'd still take Kreuzer over Kennedy every day of the week.
No disrespect to Kennedy because we still love the guy.

Why is that?

Opportunity is a wonderful thing and had he not have had that opportunity with Sydney, he may still be playing good games in the VFL and none of us would have been the wiser.

Remember that for every player that you want to put into a best 22, one has to come out.

Some believe he still wouldnt get a game in their super talented all conquering midfield.

I honestly do.

Like I said he always got good possession count while at Hawthorn.

I was thinking the other day he might match up well v geelong - that made me think a bit

he is great in and under, but his disposal is average, would not count on him in a tight contest if my side had to hold onto it

yes, he is better then what sewell is at the moment, but those saying he is playing better then lewis really need to watch closer

just because lewis isnt a standout in a side that contains mitchell and franklin, doesnt mean he isnt playing well

the final thought, Kennedy wanted to leave, i cannot stand the amount of people that continue with the notion that hawthorn shopped him around

ordinary journalism. :thumbsdown: i have to question whether half these journalists actually like the sport and how they got a job in the first place. :thumbsdown:

Nothing to do with the journalism, the way the app works is that it hunts photos for named players, since there is no distinction between each JK it has found a Sydney one first.

He is better than Lewis now MM imo. Kennedy was better than him last year and has clearly been better than him this season imo, so I'd say he has overtaken him now. It's not based on a few weeks of form, it's been slowly happening over 18 months now. Kennedy's disposal is fine, football smarts are outstanding and his outside game has gone up a notch this year. Pace is his weakness but a lot of midfielders have had great careers without being quick.

I'd say you need to watch closer and realise he isn't the same player who was battling away at Hawthorn. I understand every time a player moves to another club, the supporters of the previous club will try and talk him down. Always happens.

I agree the Hawthorn bagging needs to stop though. Swans just offered him more, logic was for him to take the opportunity. It's not like he was dominating for the Hawks and they moved him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back