Supercars JUB JUB Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When Holden officially left it was always going to test the ability to attract new fans as well as keep all the older ones.

The tribalism has gone, and even as of next year GM will be racing a car no longer in production.

But that said, not having any interest just because your favourite driver isn't there anymore is a bit weird. I didn't stop following F1 when Senna died.

But that said, not having any interest just because your favourite driver isn't there anymore is a bit weird. I didn't stop following F1 when Senna died.

Why is it weird? It’s like following football if your favourite team left. With the aerowash, boring tracks, minimal rounds and next gen being a complete shit show, the racing was pretty boring even when SVG was racing.

I enjoyed watching when I had a favourite driver to follow but it’s just bland now. Why would I waste my time? To “support the series” pls

Last edited:
Why is it weird? It’s like following football if your favourite team left. With the aerowash, boring tracks, minimal rounds and next gen being a complete shit show, the racing was pretty boring even when SVG was racing.

I enjoyed watching when I had a favourite driver to follow but it’s just bland now. Why would I waste my time? To “support the series” pls
It's like not following Port anymore if your favourite player left. People still walk around with Brock and Johnson shirts, the sport is ALWAYS bigger than the individual. The sport was more boring when SVG was racing, but I guess when your fave driver is winning it's OK.....

I get the rest of it though, I do... it's a hard watch at times.

It's like not following Port anymore if your favourite player left.
More like following AFL if Port left.

The sport was more boring when SVG was racing, but I guess when your fave driver is winning it's OK.....

That’s all subjective though isn’t it.

Probably says more about Supercars in 2024 when the only thing that kept my interest was 1 driver. Will be the first Bathurst I don’t watch in god knows how many years. The finals and Toyota are a step in the right direction though.

I’m an early morning person so I’ve actually enjoyed watching some Xfinity on a Sunday morning. The circuit racing is quite entertaining. SVG vs Larson at Chicago is worth watching.

Last edited:
More like following AFL if Port left.

That’s all subjective though isn’t it.

Probably says more about Supercars in 2024 when the only thing that kept my interest was 1 driver. Will be the first Bathurst I don’t watch in god knows how many years. The finals and Toyota are a step in the right direction though.

I’m an early morning person so I’ve actually enjoyed watching some Xfinity on a Sunday morning. The circuit racing is quite entertaining. SVG vs Larson at Chicago is worth watching.
1 race out of 5000 in a year is worth watching ?? NASCAR is a perfect case in point. Aside from the odd stack the racing is so boring particularly on the ovals, yet more people watch it than almost any other category.

Even when all their favourite drivers come and go.

Same goes with F1 too, although the racing this year has been largely good.

1 race out of 5000 in a year is worth watching ?? NASCAR is a perfect case in point.

I mean it was just one example.
Aside from the odd stack the racing is so boring particularly on the ovals, yet more people watch it than almost any other category.

Depends on the track tbh
Even when all their favourite drivers come and go.

Okay cool.
Same goes with F1 too, although the racing this year has been largely good.
F1 has been decent. Especially with the downfall of Red Bull and Piastri being competitive.

For some of us, not only have our favourite drivers long gone, but our favourite makes/models have also left us. I'm closing in on 50 years of watching the Bathurst 1000, this will be my 48th, and this is the first year I have noticed my interest in the event fall away. I don't care for the American cars at all and since the retirement of Mark Skaife I haven't really had a driver to follow.

This will be the first year since 1977 where I know I will turn off the race in the middle hours to watch another sport.

Love the Heritage cars

Hate that they only get 10 min races
It's now 45 years since I last saw it on the track, but I still think Gricey's Craven Mild Torana is one of the memorable looking cars in Aussie Touring Cars. It was such a clean, simple livery but it gave the Torana such an aggressive appearance, it loved it's look a lot more than the HDT Torana's of Brock and Harvey.

1728694287058.png

Taking it a step further, I think the liveries of the cars back in late 70's and 80's were better than todays. Today's look so cluttered.

It's now 45 years since I last saw it on the track, but I still think Gricey's Craven Mild Torana is one of the memorable looking cars in Aussie Touring Cars. It was such a clean, simple livery but it gave the Torana such an aggressive appearance, it loved it's look a lot more than the HDT Torana's of Brock and Harvey.

View attachment 2138984

Taking it a step further, I think the liveries of the cars back in late 70's and 80's were better than todays. Today's look so cluttered.
You mean the " Crvn Mid " Torana lol

Agree about modern liveries. i reckon the best of the current lot are the BJR Pizza Hut and sct tools Camaro's because they have **** all on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some of us, not only have our favourite drivers long gone, but our favourite makes/models have also left us. I'm closing in on 50 years of watching the Bathurst 1000, this will be my 48th, and this is the first year I have noticed my interest in the event fall away. I don't care for the American cars at all and since the retirement of Mark Skaife I haven't really had a driver to follow.

This will be the first year since 1977 where I know I will turn off the race in the middle hours to watch another sport.
The makes and models I get, it was always a big test when Holden dropped out, and the Falcon to a lesser extent. Supercars haven't really done enough to try and promote what's here now.

The tribalism is gone and it's a big reason why Toyota have arrived, but the sport is poorer for it.

The driver thing I understand, but who did people follow before SVG, before Brock, Johnson, Perkins etc ?? There's always someone to step into the breach.

The makes and models I get, it was always a big test when Holden dropped out, and the Falcon to a lesser extent. Supercars haven't really done enough to try and promote what's here now.

The tribalism is gone and it's a big reason why Toyota have arrived, but the sport is poorer for it.

The driver thing I understand, but who did people follow before SVG, before Brock, Johnson, Perkins etc ?? There's always someone to step into the breach.
I started off as an Allan Moffat fan, then Mark Skaife, but when he retired, I didn't follow anyone until the Nissan's returned and then I followed Rick Kelly.

As for makes, I've gone from Ford to Nissan to Holden to Nissan.

I couldn't care less about the Mustang's and Camaro's, I've never really liked them, I've always preferred Chargers, Challengers and Cuda's, if Chrysler or Dodge joined the supercars, I'd be super excited and I would begin following the series again, but these days I only watch Bathurst, and even my enjoyment of the 1000 is slipping.

I actually think it's time to give up on a V8 only series and re-open of the series to other engines configurations so other makes can come in and enliven the series and in particular the Bathurst 1000. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening anytime soon and perhaps lifelong fans like myself maybe lost in the coming years.

Last edited:
There's a fairly good reason for that.

55 car grids aren't the smartest ideas either, not here.
I'm intrigued for you to explain.

"The sport" is poorer for a lack of tribalism, and/or Toyota is in it?

I'm intrigued for you to explain.

"The sport" is poorer for a lack of tribalism, and/or Toyota is in it?
55 cars of various different speeds and skill levels at Bathurst is a pretty big risk. Some guys are out there to win, others to run around.

And I think the sport is poorer for the lack of tribalism. People don't relate as much to these cars and probably won't to the Supra either, particularly in V8 mode which isn't normally how it runs

I'm excited to see what Toyota brings to the sport though

55 cars of various different speeds and skill levels at Bathurst is a pretty big risk. Some guys are out there to win, others to run around.

And I think the sport is poorer for the lack of tribalism. People don't relate as much to these cars and probably won't to the Supra either, particularly in V8 mode which isn't normally how it runs

I'm excited to see what Toyota brings to the sport though
We had grids of 50+ cars at Bathurst for the first 30 years and it created the most exciting (and IMO) and best racing, I'd love to see return to a full grid of 50 cars of different makes, different capacities and different speeds.

Should be an even number, 54 or 56 makes more sense
whether there is an odd or even number of cars is irrelevant when there are so many cars on the grid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Supercars JUB JUB Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back