Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

I know what it is for and it is nothing like the other examples you posted.

Neither pink or purple directly mimic the jumper of another club that the AFL has spent millions trying to establish.

Even orange could have been used without having a jumper that looked very similar to GWS.

This place sometimes :rolleyes:

I think you are underestimating the intelligence of people if you think they can’t work out that it had a specific meaning and any similarity to GWS was a coincidence.

it had a specific meaning and any similarity to GWS was a coincidence.
The orange socks alone would have been fine to signify the charity cause (as Melbourne did with pink socks). The addition of the bright orange shoulder panels and orange number to the jumper was a complete bastardisation of the traditional Carlton jumper and nobody in the media has the balls to call it out in fear of offending the charity.

The orange socks alone would have been fine to signify the charity cause (as Melbourne did with pink socks). The addition of the bright orange shoulder panels and orange number to the jumper was a complete bastardisation of the traditional Carlton jumper and nobody in the media has the balls to call it out in fear of offending the charity.

“Bastardisation”

Give me a break.

It’s two orange panels.

There’s also a big Hyundai logo on the jumper.

For the record I’m not saying you or any specific person fits into this category, but given what the charity represents, I’m very suspicious of anyone who comes up with a reason to dislike this particular charity jumper.

“Bastardisation”

Give me a break.

It’s two orange panels.

There’s also a big Hyundai logo on the jumper.

For the record I’m not saying you or any specific person fits into this category, but given what the charity represents, I’m very suspicious of anyone who comes up with a reason to dislike this particular charity jumper.

I think that is unfair on other posters. We are talking about the jumper not the cause.

Good cause sure, but it makes no sense from any branding perspective for the AFL to approve it, if you can think beyond your club.

Is orange a brand?

I mean, Carlton are the Navy Blues ... it's in our song. Surely, that's more of a brand than the term Orange Tsunami? It's not like we try to prevent other teams from having dark blue in their kit.

The reason we use orange is that we used to wear chamois patches on our guernsey in the early days. Those patches would turn orange when they faded or got wet etc. For a time orange was considered a part of our colours. We actually wore a heritage jumper with orange in it.

Screenshot_20240623_105642_Chrome.jpg

Now, can we cease with this notion that all things orange belong to GWS and so the AFL must protect a colour?

Is orange a brand?

I mean, Carlton are the Navy Blues ... it's in our song. Surely, that's more of a brand than the term Orange Tsunami? It's not like we try to prevent other teams from having dark blue in their kit.

The reason we use orange is that we used to wear chamois patches on our guernsey in the early days. Those patches would turn orange when they faded or got wet etc. For a time orange was considered a part of our colours. We actually wore a heritage jumper with orange in it.

View attachment 2027651

Now, can we cease with this notion that all things orange belong to GWS and so the AFL must protect a colour?

Yes GWS have orange branding. Carlton's branding has what a century of history behind it?

Appreciate that club stuff gets in the way but try to look at the bigger picture.

It's not about Carlton (they can propose whatever jumper they like), or the great cause this jumper is about, it's about the AFL approving a jumper - for a national broadcast that looks very similar to the jumper of another team.

When they have pumped millions into that other team in order to try and establish a brand in a difficult market.

The question really is why Brisbane are wearing the Fitzroy guernsey in Adelaide. It’s now going beyond its requirements.

Because
1) it's a great guernsey
2) the red jumper is worn for all Victorian games and non Queensland games, except when the AFL determines a clash between the two uniforms. In that case the away team has to wear their clash uniform.

The 2024 clash jumper for the Lions is

Brisbane Lions clash jumper 2024.png

Yes GWS have orange branding. Carlton's branding has what a century of history behind it?

Appreciate that club stuff gets in the way but try to look at the bigger picture.

It's not about Carlton (they can propose whatever jumper they like), or the great cause this jumper is about, it's about the AFL approving a jumper - for a national broadcast that looks very similar to the jumper of another team.

When they have pumped millions into that other team in order to try and establish a brand in a difficult market.

Similar ....

Screenshot_20240623_111201_Google.jpg

The only thing similar is the colour orange existing in both.

There is nothing else to suggest that anyone could get confused. This is clearly Carlton to anyone who knows even a tiny bit about the game, and only the temerity to wear orange is in question here. Different styles, no confusion.

Yeah I just don't know how the Giants are ever going to thrive when a team 1000km away adds a bit of orange to its strip one game a year.

I guess Essendon's red alternate kit must be scrapped immediately too because Gold Coast own red, and their brand will be damaged?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there one match in the late 2000s where the West Coast Eagles mistakenly packed their royal blue jumpers for a trip to Melbourne for a night game against the Western Bulldogs, causing an almighty jumper clash?

It got me thinking; if there was a repeat of this, could the home team change jumpers at the last minute?

As examples, the Gold Coast travel to Sydney to play the Swans and pack their standard red and gold with sky blue trimmings rather than their blue and gold with red trimmings clash jumpers? Or the inverse of this where the Suns go to Perth for a match against the Eagles and pack their predominantly blue jumpers? Other examples might be Fremantle travelling for an away game against Carlton and taking their mainly purple jumpers, or Brisbane intending to wear a Fitzroy heritage jumper for an away match against Hawthorn, but mistakenly taking a Bears heritage kit with the BB triangular logo.

In these cases, could the Swans don their South Melbourne jumpers, the Eagles their mainly gold jumpers, Carlton their white clash jumpers or Hawthorn a mainly brown jumper to try and minimize the clash?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there one match in the late 2000s where the West Coast Eagles mistakenly packed their royal blue jumpers for a trip to Melbourne for a night game against the Western Bulldogs, causing an almighty jumper clash?

It got me thinking; if there was a repeat of this, could the home team change jumpers at the last minute?

As examples, the Gold Coast travel to Sydney to play the Swans and pack their standard red and gold with sky blue trimmings rather than their blue and gold with red trimmings clash jumpers? Or the inverse of this where the Suns go to Perth for a match against the Eagles and pack their predominantly blue jumpers? Other examples might be Fremantle travelling for an away game against Carlton and taking their mainly purple jumpers, or Brisbane intending to wear a Fitzroy heritage jumper for an away match against Hawthorn, but mistakenly taking a Bears heritage kit with the BB triangular logo.

In these cases, could the Swans don their South Melbourne jumpers, the Eagles their mainly gold jumpers, Carlton their white clash jumpers or Hawthorn a mainly brown jumper to try and minimize the clash?
I saw something similar happen in an NBA game once where both teams took the court in white singlets. They were able to fix it in 10min and get the game going.

Whether AFL home teams have the alternate kits handy I don't know. But what I do know is it's not their problem to solve and in such an instance the offending away team should face substantial fines or loss of premiership points.

I know what it is for and it is nothing like the other examples you posted.

Neither pink or purple directly mimic the jumper of another club that the AFL has spent millions trying to establish.

Even orange could have been used without having a jumper that looked very similar to GWS.

This place sometimes :rolleyes:
You don’t reckon purple had anything to do with an expansion club the afl has spent millions on?

Have a long think about it mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing else to suggest that anyone could get confused.
From the back, the only way to identify the jumper as Carlton is the sponsors. The average person on the street with any rudimentary knowledge of the AFL teams and team colours would rightfully believe it it a Giants strip.

Hahahahaha, you’re on the afl for approving Carlton wearing a bit of orange, for a charity, in a one off game, against a team that has no orange in a thread about jumper clashes that is 292 pages in…

There’s barking up the wrong tree and then there’s whatever this is.

From the back, the only way to identify the jumper as Carlton is the sponsors. The average person on the street with any rudimentary knowledge of the AFL teams and team colours would rightfully believe it it a Giants strip.
What on earth are you on about? The giants strip is orange on the back not navy. Even their charcoal jumper isn’t navy on the back.

Charity, good intensions and the fact that yes orange WAS a part of their history but hasn’t really been for years, Carlton are okay to change up their traditional home kit in a home game at the G, but won’t wear their clash kit if they’re the “away” team in Victoria?

I don’t get the pushback on their clash jumper if they apparently see no issue with mixing it up for their home games? Either accept the changes when required or dig your heels in fight to keep your traditional kit. You can’t pick and choose that shit when you won’t budge and wear something different when you really should be, but are more than happy to add some orange to the very same jumper you are fighting tooth and nail to wear when you shouldn’t be.

You are talking about their away strip. I guess we are also only talking about these average people only viewing long enough to see the backs of the whole team as any view of the front would change their mind.

But perhaps you can tell me how this back view hurts the Giants identity?

Charity, good intensions and the fact that yes orange WAS a part of their history but hasn’t really been for years, Carlton are okay to change up their traditional home kit in a home game at the G, but won’t wear their clash kit if they’re the “away” team in Victoria?

I don’t get the pushback on their clash jumper if they apparently see no issue with mixing it up for their home games? Either accept the changes when required or dig your heels in fight to keep your traditional kit. You can’t pick and choose that shit when you won’t budge and wear something different when you really should be, but are more than happy to add some orange to the very same jumper you are fighting tooth and nail to wear when you shouldn’t be.

We wear an away strip against every home team that the AFL identifies as a clash. Why would we wear it as the away team where there is no clash?

Also, this one off jumper is predominantly navy blue with a monogram. It satisfies our fans.

You are talking about their away strip. I guess we are also only talking about these average people only viewing long enough to see the backs of the whole team as any view of the front would change their mind.

But perhaps you can tell me how this back view hurts the Giants identity?
By being the slightest bit associated with Carlton.

Another perfect pairing of all red vs all purple. The mish mash of white shorts with whatever colour jumper shouldn't exist.

Another perfect pairing of all red vs all purple. The mish mash of white shorts with whatever colour jumper shouldn't exist.

White shorts still have a purpose. White sticks out like dogs balls, so if you’re playing a team that doesn’t have white in their kit it makes perfect sense to wear them.

E.g. Melbourne with their light blue kit and white shorts against us is a lot better than if they wore blue.

The issue is when the AFL allows white shorts to be used as the main way to stop a clash.

White shorts still have a purpose. White sticks out like dogs balls, so if you’re playing a team that doesn’t have white in their kit it makes perfect sense to wear them.

E.g. Melbourne with their light blue kit and white shorts against us is a lot better than if they wore blue.

The issue is when the AFL allows white shorts to be used as the main way to stop a clash.
Every team should have a white kit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back