Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always found Hawthorn v West Coast a struggle on TV because of the large bits of yellow on the tops. It might just be me though.
"Large bits" on one = all bar the three stripes and on the other = none bar the wings.
That is to say, one is nearly all yellow, the other nearly all not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How hard is it for the AFL to have a policy where the shorts of the home team must match the predominant colour of the home team's chosen jumper?

Home team picks whatever jumper, shorts get assigned. Away team must choose appropriate kit to minimalize clashes or get fined.

Not that hard

How hard is it for the AFL to have a policy where the shorts of the home team must match the predominant colour of the home team's chosen jumper?

Home team picks whatever jumper, shorts get assigned. Away team must choose appropriate kit to minimalize clashes or get fined.

Not that hard
So long as Geelong can wear navy shorts against red teams, that kind of thing too.

Not that hard
Because the AFL is still hanging onto the archaic notion that home team = dark shorts, away team = white shorts.

That’s where the problem lies. Scrap that entirely and there is no issue.

Not that hard

There is still too much uncertainty in your proposal. I've developed a simple formula to clarify the AFLs white short policy and deliver the required outcome:

1601881742434.png

Not that hard

The away team shouldn’t choose anything. They should be told what to wear.

The problem for the AFL is they genuinely cannot recognise and then remedy a clash. They can’t do it. They’ve shown time and time again. They either don’t even think about about it, or are completely thick as bricks. Either is possible.

The problem for the AFL is they genuinely cannot recognise and then remedy a clash. They can’t do it. They’ve shown time and time again. They either don’t even think about about it, or are completely thick as bricks. Either is possible.
I mean I have no issues with a team wearing their Indigenous jumper outside of Indigenous Round if it doesn't cause a clash as the away team

The away team should be choosing a kit that doesn't clash with the home team's.

That game put Cotchin up there with elite sportsmen like Ricky Ponting and Tim Paine in the dumbest captaincy calls of all time hall of fame 😂
None were quite so dumb as poor old Nasser's rather poor old call to launch an Ashes series though ... Neither Ricky nor Tim could touch that one.

None were quite so dumb as poor old Nasser's rather poor old call to launch an Ashes series though ... Neither Ricky nor Tim could touch that one.

It may have been a bad call, but a top order batsman being too scared to face up to the Aussie attack on day 1 at the GABBA is one thing, anyone choosing to bowl first at The Oval clearly has no idea. Kicking into a 5 goal wind in the first qtr of a final is pretty bloody stupid also!

Agree with your 2nd point, but there's no reason the away team can't wear whatever they want - as long as it doesn't clash.

some teams have a bona fide clash strip and other teams are an embarrassment to the cause. The AFL should ask all teams once to come up with a clash strip and failing that, the AFL should give them one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well depends what you mean by “choose”. If it’s left up to the clubs to choose without some sort of central approval, there’ll be clashes all over the joint.
You may have missed the "that doesn't clash" part.
The definition of what doesn't clash gets given, and then anything that doesn't clash is on the table.

Not that hard

100 %.
The white shorts away rule is very archaic.
If the team with a predominately white/light home jumper are sick of wearing white shorts at of their home games, do what North Melbourne did in 2016 and change the predominant colour on the home jumper to the darker colour.

100 %.
The white shorts away rule is very archaic.
If the team with a predominately white/light home jumper are sick of wearing white shorts at of their home games, do what North Melbourne did in 2016 and change the predominant colour on the home jumper to the darker colour.

Or just get over it and celebrate your jumper as it is, and the fact that you can wear it pretty much every game ever.

some teams have a bona fide clash strip and other teams are an embarrassment to the cause. The AFL should ask all teams once to come up with a clash strip and failing that, the AFL should give them one.

Agreed, like some clubs have a ‘clash strip’ in one colour then tradition dictates a different coloured number panel causing issues from behind...

Agreed, like some clubs have a ‘clash strip’ in one colour then tradition dictates a different coloured number panel causing issues from behind...
Which is easily fixed by not wearing a kit in either of those colours.
For eg the old WCE tripanel. Don't wear colours that clash with navy or gold = no clash.
So simple.

Agree the white shorts rule no longer necessarily fits the purpose it did years ago, it needs to be done away with, like the way the AFL did with umpires wearing white, it wasn’t that hard!

I think the wider problem is the entire approach to it all.
A large number of leagues around the world have a coloured strip and a white strip.
Crucially most of the coloured strips contain very little white.
So when the AFL tries to retrofit the whiter guernsey for the away team, you then have the issue of Sydney, Collingwood, North, St Kilda, Geelong, etc having varying levels of white in their home jumper.

and now the AFL is stuck with a policy which doesn’t work properly because someone is going to get pissed off and feel targeted because back when their jumper was designed it was for a suburban footy comp 100 years ago, not a professional league, and now but it’s their entire identity, brand and marketing.

the answer? I don’t know, but maybe each team needs a home, away and alternate full kit that includes the shorts, rather than them being an afterthought and cocking it up.
The AFL determines the strip for each game (and puts some thought in to) and then doesn’t have the umpires turn up causing a clash.

if a team needs to wear a different colour for one match of the year, don’t fight it, use it, sponsorship, marketing, a cause, plenty of ways to do it.
eg Carlton and M&Ms - well ok, something better than that.

So you’re saying a club should not wear their home jumper because it clashes with the oppositions clash strip?
My bad, I thought you were referring to Port's black with white number panel.
Which clash jumper were you referring to?

Agree the white shorts rule no longer necessarily fits the purpose it did years ago, it needs to be done away with, like the way the AFL did with umpires wearing white, it wasn’t that hard!

I think the wider problem is the entire approach to it all.
A large number of leagues around the world have a coloured strip and a white strip.
Crucially most of the coloured strips contain very little white.
So when the AFL tries to retrofit the whiter guernsey for the away team, you then have the issue of Sydney, Collingwood, North, St Kilda, Geelong, etc having varying levels of white in their home jumper.

and now the AFL is stuck with a policy which doesn’t work properly because someone is going to get pissed off and feel targeted because back when their jumper was designed it was for a suburban footy comp 100 years ago, not a professional league, and now but it’s their entire identity, brand and marketing.

the answer? I don’t know, but maybe each team needs a home, away and alternate full kit that includes the shorts, rather than them being an afterthought and cocking it up.
The AFL determines the strip for each game (and puts some thought in to) and then doesn’t have the umpires turn up causing a clash.

if a team needs to wear a different colour for one match of the year, don’t fight it, use it, sponsorship, marketing, a cause, plenty of ways to do it.
eg Carlton and M&Ms - well ok, something better than that.
Each team just needs to make jumper(s) to ensure they're good in all away matches.
Eg - Geelong only need white with blue hoops, and blue with white hoops for vs Sydney.
Horses for courses, not one size fits all.

I mean there is a finite number of possible scenarios (306 by my count) surely the AFL can go through each possible kit combination and come up with something that works for each one.
The first thing to consider is the home team wears thier primary jumper, then work everything else out from there.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back