Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

What is Hawthorns clash strip? The legends jersey or the retro one?

Not sure. In practice don’t really need one. Apart from GWS. If GWS had distinctive strip hawks could nail it.
It was more contrast when both used ‘home strip’

Disingenuous tho have more than one alternate strip just to accommodate GWS. Home or away last 3 out of 4 games weren’t even in Melbourne or Sydney

In any case not crazy enough to design a clash strip which makes the closest clash actually worse?

Not sure. In practice don’t really need one. Apart from GWS. If GWS had distinctive strip hawks could nail it.
It was more contrast when both used ‘home strip’

Disingenuous tho have more than one alternate strip just to accommodate GWS. Home or away last 3 out of 4 games weren’t even in Melbourne or Sydney

In any case not crazy enough to design a clash strip which makes the closest clash actually worse?

More McGuire BS.

Every club needs one.

That really again demonstrates why the half/half options are so annoying. Being half orange and half dark looks stupid and makes it so much harder to contrast with.

Would be so much better if they went with one all charcoal and one all orange strip.

But apparently it’s Hawthorns fault for not anticipating GWS would choose a clash strip which is actually closer in tone

A large portion of what's posted on BigFooty is hypothetical.

I don't buy that Carlton doesn't contribute to the crap show that we see at every away game against Collingwood. I don't see what the AFL possibly has to gain from Carlton wearing its navy blue guernsey instead of the logical clash guernsey in away games against Collingwood (and Essendon and Richmond).

So the only logical scenario that I can see is Carlton puts in its requested kit to wear and the AFL (for some inexplicable reason) ticks off on the navy blue guernsey against Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon, while the clash is worn away against every other team with a dark guernsey, many with broadly very similar designs/colours to Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon: Adelaide, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, St Kilda... this has been going on for years, it isn't a coincidence.

So yes, the AFL unquestionably has the power to fix this issue and for some weird reason chooses not to, but I have no doubt that Carlton could help by getting with the times and indicating a willingness (better yet a preference) to wear the clash in all games where it would unquestionably help the spectacle. I have no doubt that if Carlton said it wanted to wear white guernseys away against Collingwood, the AFL would sign off on it. Because... why wouldn't they?

Yes, the AFL's approach to this is farcical, but for Carlton's approach to be "we didn't wear our clash guernsey, because the AFL didn't ask us to" is BS as well. Get out of he stone ages and help drive the change.

The issue with the old firm is largely historical. In particular, some of the most iconic events in Australian Football are between Carlton and Collingwood, and Carlton have always been in the navy guernsey in these games.

But apparently it’s Hawthorns fault for not anticipating GWS would choose a clash strip which is actually closer in tone
Didn’t Gws wear their home kit?

In any event GWS would nominate what they wore, Hawthorn adjusts accordingly.

You can argue he afl ****ed up but blaming GWS, who was at home, real dumb.

The issue with the old firm is largely historical. In particular, some of the most iconic events in Australian Football are between Carlton and Collingwood, and Carlton have always been in the navy guernsey in these games.

Yep, and further to that, if I'm not mistaken, the vast majority of those famous memories would have featured the Pies with a predominantly white back with black numbers.

So if the league's goal with this fixture is to leave it untouched in an attempt to pay respect to the history and tradition of the occasion, then they are failing miserably by allowing the Pies to wear their darker kit.

Yep, and further to that, if I'm not mistaken, the vast majority of those famous memories would have featured the Pies with a predominantly white back with black numbers.

So if the league's goal with this fixture is to leave it untouched in an attempt to pay respect to the history and tradition of the occasion, then they are failing miserably by allowing the Pies to wear their darker kit.

Who said it was to be untouched?

Collingwood is still black and white stripes. Carlton in white is a different guernsey.

This is a lie.

From 2001-2020 Collingwood had a mostly black front jumper. Carlton have worn their clash against Collingwood zero times (correct me if I’m wrong).

So I agree the Pies current jumper makes it tricky but Carlton wouldn’t wear their clash regardless.
The bloke is deluded.

Carlton serve up the same crap when away to Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood.

But then are happy to play in white against Port.

It is a joke that they acknowledge they clash with a black based Port, but somehow dont clash against black based Ess, Rich and Pies.

A complete farce and everybody knows it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2001-2020 versions of the pies home was more black then white in the same way north’s jumper is mostly white.

Its only the current version with the thicker white stripes that is not mostly black.

The front of the Collingwood guernsey (which is what you specifically mentioned in your earlier post) has been predominantly white from the front since 2001. It is more so now with the fatter stripes.

This photo is from Rd 19 2001.

1722989340415.png

In my opinion, Collingwood v Carlton/Essendon/Richmond is fine when Collingwood wear the white shorts. Never put the three clubs v Collingwood in white. Keep teams in their colours and home guernseys which is what their fans ultimately want to see. Yes they all have predominantly black backs with white numbers, but Collingwood have the most amount of white in their home guernsey than any of those clubs, and it is such a contrasting colour, white shorts with home guernsey would suffice, and they can still wear the home guernsey at home.

Collingwood doing the Adidas deal for some extra cash, and being petty with Port Adelaide has ruined the presentation of these old firm matches involving them.

Carlton v Essendon v Richmond is another matter. Too much solid black/navy in those games and away guernseys are required.

The bloke is deluded.

Carlton serve up the same crap when away to Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood.

But then are happy to play in white against Port.

It is a joke that they acknowledge they clash with a black based Port, but somehow dont clash against black based Ess, Rich and Pies.

A complete farce and everybody knows it.

Your beef is with the wrong party.

The AFL runs the League. Not the clubs.

Your beef is with the wrong party.

The AFL runs the League. Not the clubs.
Yes, that is the entire reason and premise for the thread.

It is a farce that the AFL doesnt have a proper policy that is consistently applied.

It is very easy to group teams and say that that if you are a black / navy / dark based team that you must use a full alternate / clash strip when away to another black / navy / dark team.

It should ALWAYS be on the away team to ensure their is no clash, put Carlton in white when away to Richmond and Essendon like they are when away to Freo and Port.

And if people think white clashes with Collingwood then Carlton can bring out baby blue, or yellow or orange clash kit.

The onus should be on the away team not to clash with the home team.

Carlton / Rich / Ess should never be seen in preferred dark jumper with white shorts. They either dont clash, in which case use the full dark kit, or their is a jumper clash and they need an alternate kit.

I've never understood why the AFL don't tell clubs to have a home/away/clash strip?

The third is obviously a completely separate colour and then they mandate who wears what in every game

With the amount of money TV tips in this should be a non negotiable
Actually differentiating the teams playing

I've never understood why the AFL don't tell clubs to have a home/away/clash strip?

The third is obviously a completely separate colour and then they mandate who wears what in every game

With the amount of money TV tips in this should be a non negotiable
Actually differentiating the teams playing
Don't need 3

Just main (Home) / clash.

ie Freo away - wear main v Cats, wear clash v Carlton

The problem isn't that clubs don't have a clash, it's that the AFL doesn't direct clubs (ie Carlton) to wear it.

Don't need 3

The problem isn't that clubs don't have a clash, it's that the AFL doesn't direct clubs (ie Carlton) to wear it.

Rule should probably be that you have to have a white kit or three kits all with a different base colour.

E.g. Freo’s purple and white is fine. Crows either have a white clash or need a yellow and red kit (which we had in 2021, don’t understand why we ditched it).

Don't need 3

Going by the soccer model everyone is required to have a third kit
Neutral colour, no complaints

Going by the soccer model everyone is required to have a third kit
Neutral colour, no complaints
Yeh, in reality someone like Melbourne with their clash is likely to still have some issues.

3 kits and I stand by my “if you’re away you don’t wear your home kit, ever. Away (2nd) or clash (3rd).

Yeh, in reality someone like Melbourne with their clash is likely to still have some issues.

3 kits and I stand by my “if you’re away you don’t wear your home kit, ever. Away (2nd) or clash (3rd).
Disagree with that, and think need to change terminology too.

It isn't home or away kits - it should be preferred and alternate kits.

You use your preferred kit as much as you can.

No reason why if Carlton away to Sydney or GC that they should not play in their preferred full navy blue kit.

If two teams preferred kits dont clash, both should play in full preferred kit.

Disagree with that, and think need to change terminology too.

It isn't home or away kits - it should be preferred and alternate kits.

You use your preferred kit as much as you can.

No reason why if Carlton away to Sydney or GC that they should not play in their preferred full navy blue kit.

If two teams preferred kits dont clash, both should play in full preferred kit.
Firstly you can disagree with the policy and philosophy but the names are part of it. Home, away and clash IS literally my policy idea hence the naming convention.

Secondly and I’ve explained this as naseum. The purpose is to break any subjectivity from the policy. Part of the current issue is that every team WANTS to wear their preferred home kit every week which means the clash jumper policy is subjective, “is it a clash?”. Get rid of the ability to wear the home jumper if you’re the away team and all of a sudden nobody has that preference anymore.

Carlton v Collingwood is NEVER a shitshow because no one is getting the “traditional” kit.

Now I’ve openly admitted that if the current policy was just implemented properly my idea wouldn’t be necessary but the current policy clearly isn’t gonna be implemented properly. They’ve had however many years of it and we still get shit like Saturday night. I’m also well aware they’ll never implement my idea either but I’ll maintain to the grave it’s the best possible way to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back