Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hawthorn and GWS manage to pull off an unlikely GF appearance against one another, who is the top ranked side?

Would it be Hawthorn for knocking off the top seed in a prelim??
Strange convention, but we would be named first, but GWS ranked higher (see 2015).

Giants in charcoal v Hawks with white shorts would be best, but likely GWS home v Hawks home with white shorts I reckon.

Strange convention, but we would be named first, but GWS ranked higher (see 2015).

Giants in charcoal v Hawks with white shorts would be best, but likely GWS home v Hawks home with white shorts I reckon.

Personally I felt the Hawks home vs Giants orange with white shorts was slightly better from our earlier games this season.

Every chance Geelong pulls something funky

They always wear navy shorts against Brisbane, and I don't think Geelong have been the home team against GWS since they changed their home jumper a few years ago. I don't think GWS wear their 'home' jumper in any away games either now but I may be mistaken

I think that’s more to do with Brisbane choosing to wear the Fitzroy jumper (which they did do in the 2022 prelim).

Geelong played GWS at home in 2021 in white shorts, they were in their indigenous jumper but I don’t see them wearing blue shorts all of a sudden.

If Hawthorn and GWS manage to pull off an unlikely GF appearance against one another, who is the top ranked side?

Would it be Hawthorn for knocking off the top seed in a prelim??
You'd think Giants would be the "higher" ranked side

The problem with the Giants (and their opposition being forced into wearing alternate jumpers) is that the GENIUSES who designed the Giants jumpers decided to make things impossible by having all orange backs and a mix of orange & back on the front (but mostly black)

It just means there is a slight issue no matter what jumper the opposition is forced into wearing. It makes you wonder why bother changing at all: Hawthorn's traditional brown and gold vertical stripes works as well as any of our clash/away jumpers vs GWS

We could wear this...

Hawthorn-2023-Legends.gif

GWS-2024.gif

But what would be the point?

We may as well wear this...

Hawthorn-2023.gif

Arsenal are forced to wear their away strip against Spurs this weekend despite being the home team. We are light years away.

It's Spurs home game isn't it?

Anyway, the North London Derby is a fixture where both teams can wear preferred kits and provide sufficient contrast. So anyone in an alternate in that game is just boosting shirt sales.

Edit: Well I got the first bit right. But yeah, just read up on it. I still thought there would have been enough contrast...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arsenal are forced to wear their away strip against Spurs this weekend despite being the home team. We are light years away.

Spurs home game.

Gunners 24/25 shirt has more white than previous years, which is the predominant colour of Spurs kit, hence the referees' committee and Premier League decision. Red shorts and socks were considered for Arsenal, but not agreed upon.

First time I can recall either team wearing an alternate strip in a North London Derby. Spurs will do same when they travel to Holloway in January.

You'd think Giants would be the "higher" ranked side

Higher ranked preference should be limited to minor premier, as long as they win their games.

If GF doesn't feature the minor premier (winning all games), then a coin toss early in the week, winner of that chooses their strip, and the other team wears a distinguishable kit for that opposition, agreed to by the AFL.

Last edited:
Unless GWS are the away team vs Port, they should be wearing their derby kit for every game. If they are the home team they should wear it and have Port in their white kit.

Not 100% sure how it would look vs Hawks but it's just their best kit

Giants wear their full home kit this weekend playing at Showgrounds, and Brisbane Lions wear the Bears inspired alternate guernsey with white shorts.

Port in their home guernsey with white shorts, Hawthorn home guernsey with brown shorts.

Best match-ups for mine. Port still have the home guernsey, and the strip combo I've suggested provides the best contrast for this match.

Last edited:
Giants wear their full home kit this weekend playing at Showgrounds, and Brisbane Lions wear the Bears inspired alternate guernsey with white shorts.

Port in their home guernsey with white shorts, Hawthorn home guernsey with brown shorts.

Best match-ups for mine. Port still have the home guernsey, and the strip combo I've suggested provides the best contrast for this match.
There's nothing wrong with Port in black and Hawks in white...

There’s nothing wrong with the home bumpers and home shorts too while we are on it

Works for Sydney can work for hawks.

Hawks guernsey is predominantly light
I don't disagree - I mean hey, I advocate for Geelong and North in white shorts for most of their games - but in this instance it's not really necessary for Port to be in white shorts and Hawks in brown, especially because it's out home game

Higher ranked preference should be limited to minor premier, as long as they win their games.

If GF doesn't feature the minor premier (winning all games), then a coin toss early in the week, winner of that chooses their strip, and the other team wears a distinguishable kit for that opposition, agreed to by the AFL.
Wasnt it based on finals winners for years and then quietly changed to ladder positions in 16?

HA ladder positions makes perfect sense to me for "home ground" advantage in the granny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back