Workshop Jumper Ideas for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An idea I had was for every team to use the template Richmond uses for their preseason jumpers.

I tried out a Collingwood jumper:

2ibncs1.png

@Gaff, I kind of agree.

Yet I believe a club shouldn't change it's home jumper. For the most part, a club is reluctant to ever switch their traditional guernsey - except of course Fremantle, Port, and the saddest example, Brisbane. But will any of those clubs change any time soon? Maybe the Lions will revert to the Fitzroy lion, but for the most part, we won't see too many clubs alter their home strip in our lifetime.

Yet, I think the clash jumper is a fantastic showcase for alteration.

A one to two year life cycle would work best. It keeps things fresh. AFL fans might see buying a one-year jumper to be absurd, it's just a part of the consumer culture for the league, so perhaps two years would be better. It could work as a great flow of income. I've long spoken of the common sense of Hawthorn. Even if the jumper designs leave much to be desired, the ethos is respectable. How many kids just bought the Hawks old clash design? It was pretty big, especially here in WA (a state where the Hawks don't have a lot of prominence, as is obvious).

Not to hark on and get on Essendon's back, but I feel they're really letting an opportunity slip. A club with a huge fan base and thus, an ability to exploit them (and I mean that in an economic sense). A simple inversion would be wildly popular. Kids would see it as something different, and snap it up.

The Eagles 25th anniversary design is really popular as well - despite its limited usage and small run. Imagine if they wore that four, five teams a year. I could see many kids buying them.

The idea of an anniversary kit is novel as well. Premier League clubs do it consistently. "The design mirrors the 1978 FA Cup winning strip", or, "the brand new ___ home kit revives the popular strip of the successful 1960's". Even if an exercise in morality and to give an excuse for selling something, I could see it working. In four seasons, Fremantle could wear a green version of the chevron - i'm sure the chevron will be dug in as "the Freo design" by then. So what's to lose? Make the strip green as say it echoes the "spirit of the original Dockers" for a 20th birthday.

Guys on the Lions board have emailed the club and this is the result, apparently the jersey won't change until 2013.

Ahk, I imagined that would be the case but wasn't sure if it had been confirmed or anything. Not terrible news though if it sounds like they'll be reviewing it in 2013. By then I guess they will have had 3 years of trialling it all and will be able to reassess what they have done. If the support from the members to get the Fitzroy lion back is strong enough, eventually it should hopefully return soon.
Was never expecting it back next year. Now that they've commited to the decision they have to let it run its course which is fair enough. Would be a bit silly to go to all that effort and only use ot for 1 or 2 years tbh

Guys on the Lions board have emailed the club and this is the result, apparently the jersey won't change until 2013.

With new jumper sponsorship deals needed at the end of 2012, I am guessing they are holding onto the new jumper ace if they need to negotiate with new sponsors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back