Jurrah never made it to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The risk isnt on field. Hes a proven goalscorer and very good player. The risk is the PR disaster that would happen if we went through the process of getting him and he walks out on the club before hes played a game, or very early in the season. I think its something that would be very likely to happen. I can see him, especially if he gets injured or something, "losing the passion" and retiring.

I actually don't think it would be a PR disaster (and I know that is asking a lot of the Adelaide media) but I think it would be more like the Cousins story. The media would be so keen to build it up as a good news/resurrection story and so keen to avoid coming across as racist that if it all turned to shit they wouldn't go too hard.

Assuming all his court case stuff is over that is.

If the court case is still hanging over him I would still rookie him (unless they have good advice that he is definitely going to get time).

I actually don't think it would be a PR disaster (and I know that is asking a lot of the Adelaide media) but I think it would be more like the Cousins story. The media would be so keen to build it up as a good news/resurrection story and so keen to avoid coming across as racist that if it all turned to shit they wouldn't go too hard.

Assuming all his court case stuff is over that is.

If the court case is still hanging over him I would still rookie him (unless they have good advice that he is definitely going to get time).

This is the Adelaide media. They made up the whole 'Gang of 49' thing. If there's a story about Port Adelaide that can somehow be negatively skewed, it will be negatively skewed. ****, even if it can't, they'll somehow turn it into a negative. I can even see the Vic media doing it too, seeing they hate us so much.

Aside from that... how would picking LJ up effect our supporters in the NT? Would it help or hinder the work we're doing up there? It is important to consider the impact of this. No point getting him only to piss off 25% of the population up there away from either: supporting us or wanting to play for us in the future.

I dunno, we played our games in Darwin, Jurrah is from the Alice region, I doubt we do too much work down south of NT (I know we are active in the Tiwis, Arnhem and the Daly Districts) So he might as well be from WA for all the impact it'd have on the influence created by Darwin games.

It's never a good idea to rely on second hand info when dealing with the law. It doesn't matter how close to the situation your friend was. It's very dangerous and in this case, we are dealing with a old, strict and very non-western culture, foreign to most of us.

REH is on the money. It's been covered in quite a bit of detail up here in Gods country. It's very blurry where it sits in relation to traditional law.

Well the other SA team won't take him because they don't welcome his kind.

I'd take a risk, the club can't get any worse than it is now. At worst he'd be delisted at the end of 2013. At least he could inject some excitement. If guys like Donte Stallworth and Michael Vick can continue to play pro sports then Jurrah can.

I agree 100% with Natman's observations.

It's extremely dangerous to be discussing the specifics of ANY case currently before the courts.

Also, there is not a single person on this board who has knowledge of the prosecution brief regardless what inside information they may have - in any case it's still irrelevant

Do not discuss the issues of this case.....................full stop!!!

I am speaking as a former cop who (obviously) studied and applied criminal law as well as periods as acting clerk of clerk (urban).

I could also go on re my 20 yrs working directly with indigenous people. (A totally separate issue in any case)

Finally, REH, your comments re Magistrates and Judges is so far off the mark to be unbelievable. In criminal law, both operate under exactly the same rules of law.

Civil Law is entirely different and relies on common law precedents.

Sorry for sermonising but do not comment on the specifics of this case.

the media would slay him and us. I can't see it working. he attacked someone with a machete ffs! he will probably be in jail not getting ready for an AFL season as REH said on the first or second page.

Finally, REH, your comments re Magistrates and Judges is so far off the mark to be unbelievable. In criminal law, both operate under exactly the same rules of law.

Civil Law is entirely different and relies on common law precedents......

No its not. The different levels of courts are subject to the same rules, no disagreement there. But there is discretion in the sentencing. Magistrates tend to use a more commonsense approach to sentencing than judges. That's probably because magistrates tend to deal with lower misdemeanors and the jails are getting clogged up, so they make less 'legalistic" type rulings, especially in the pre final trial hearing stage.

Magistrates tend to make the news for soft rulings more than judges do. Some magistrates make nonsensical decisions. Magistrate Pat O'Shea in Sydney is notorious for these type of rulings.

No.

Let a SANFL club have him, he is going to gaol in March, look at all the precedents he is off the judge wont care that he is AFL listed, you're all equal before the law.

I wonder whether our Maggies connection would come in handy here.

Is there any way we could sign him for the Maggies with the understanding that if he comes good and proves himself he will sign for the Power under the new rules for delisted players (i.e. doesn't have to enter the draft).

As I have said I don't want him, but I will plot a course to get him and limit how much we have to pay him.

He signs a contract with the magpies for match payments only in October. He nominates for the draft. In mid December when the rookie draft is on, we leave one rookie spot vacant. Immediately after the rookie draft is finished we name him and 2 other players onto our rookie Training Squad on list ie invoke RULE 21.12.

We have to pay him $500/week.

He trains with us until the conclusion of the Pre-Season Competition when the AFL calls a Final Rookie Draft meeting (see Rule 21.12.3 (b)). Assuming the Pre-season Comp ends with the NAB Cup GF - that was 17th March 2012. So we assume the same next year ie approx 15th March 2013. His court case is on ...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ce-springs-clash/story-e6frg6nf-1226463979846

Today's brief arraignment hearing was adjourned until March 11, 2013, the day before a trial is due to begin to hear the allegations.

in a heartbeat, a 3 forward system with Schulz Butcher and Jurrah seems enticing, is classy and is exciting, plus get Gav or Byron onto him to guide him
We were saying the same about a Clark, Martin, Jurrah forward line about a week ago.

Can't see you guys taking the risk, you and ours hardly need any more turmoil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I have said I don't want him, but I will plot a course to get him and limit how much we have to pay him.

He signs a contract with the magpies for match payments only in October. He nominates for the draft. In mid December when the rookie draft is on, we leave one rookie spot vacant. Immediately after the rookie draft is finished we name him and 2 other players onto our rookie Training Squad on list ie invoke RULE 21.12.

He trains with us until the conclusion of the Pre-Season Competition when the AFL calls a Final Rookie Draft meeting (see Rule 21.12.3 (b)). Assuming the Pre-season Comp ends with the NAB Cup GF - that was 17th March 2012. So we assume the same next year ie approx 15th March 2013. His court case is on ...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ce-springs-clash/story-e6frg6nf-1226463979846

Now you talking REH. The club should be exploring every way possible to get him for as cheap as possible and with as little risk as possible. Huge upside if the risk is managed.

Excellent. Also, make sure we do some charity work through our Community Programme that benefits his broader family. It is a good cause anyway, may help us understand him and his family and build a relationship between club and family.

I'd actually show some faith in him and reserve a rookie list spot for him, irrespective of the Court case result. Hell, we once rookied Tim Masierowski and he should've been jailed for his appalling lack of ability along with the recruiting staff that year.

All I know is which ever us or the Crows pick him up the bay is going to be relentless.

Oh well just another thing to add to the list :rolleyes:

Depends whether the crows still have the one white parent rule. ;)

He's a risk for sure, but I don't see how picking him up would reflect badly on the club that does so, especially if its on a contract like RussellEbertHandball described. He was Melbourne's leading goalkicker after all last year when they weren't mind-bogglingly awful. Solid depth for Schulz/Butcher/Westhoff at the very least. I reckon we'd take a look if not for having Johnston and Lynch already on the list.

After all, it was the feel good story of the century apparently when Collingwood picked up Krakouer via GC, when he had been convicted of nearly killing someone in a family feud.

Pretty keen actually, he's such a talent and so marketable. Love watching him, his leap is something else.

I'd either tell him to prove he is ready for another shot at the big time by proving it in the SANFL for a year, or rookie list him via the avenue that REH suggested. There are ways we can mitigate the risk.

Martin Flanagan thinks Jurrah will end up at Port next year.

A new turn on Jurrah's journey

Jurrah's story has the potential, like Namatjira's, to end tragically but my hunch is that Jurrah's AFL career hasn't ended, that he will play next year for Port Adelaide. Rarely in its history has Port been more open to the prospect of attracting a forward with Jurrah's exciting talents. The move would appear to mean Jurrah could live with his grandmother, Cecily Granites. Jurrah's grandmother is the central figure in his life story.
A new turn on Jurrah's journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back