Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Bell is a club legend but at the same time in my time just viewing him speak post career in the media he comes across as very direct and stubborn.

Which is probably why he was a great leader on the field very uncompromising but that style can also can rub people off the wrong way depending on the environment your in as well.

Off-field when at times there needs to be a bit of give and take was Belly taking everything but not giving up anything on matters of opinion of certain things.

Lived in Geraldton for a year or 2 late in his playing career because he was making more money off field than on field at the time which I thought was poor form from a senior player.

closing out games is the team on the field not the coach.

You can catch them how to win. but the team can still lose it

When Amiss got the free kick the call should have come from the box to the bench to go defensive at the centre bounce if Amiss kicks the goal. A draw was as good as a win, coaches blew the last 30 seconds.

Mitchell is a knob and was a dirty player but he can coach. If I'm Tasmania and both JLo and Mitchell apply for the coaching job I know who I'm hiring and it's not the lanky bloke that bites his nails.
Bite your tongue. Sam Mitchell will be coming nowhere near Tasmania.

Did you manage to get a look at what Scott looked like just before Amiss took the shot to tie it. There was certainly no aura around him. Also just because Lyon still throws out the one liners this is merely a diversion to distract from how bad his team is and they are only going to get worse until he is let go in the next couple of years.

Nonsense, the only time that St Kilda and Fremantle have been relevant in the last 25 years has been when Ross has been at the wheel.

Not his fault we couldn't kick straight and a couple of guys had a shocker in 2013.

Saints have a bottom 4 list, to get them into the 8 last year was an incredible achievement. How many of their team make our best 18? Maybe 3?

Sounds plausible if the guy played with him and didn’t just make an observation of his abilities even though he didn’t actually run out alongside him. JL was a very good player.

Maybe someone like Bob Murphy - played against him and now coaching under him. He’d fit that description also.

Also have an ITK who’s mates with AP. He says that AP really likes and rates JL so that’s a decent endorsement.

JLo seems really likeable and we haven't had an off field incident for years so the standards and culture seem strong and the players seem happy. His press conferences have improved but jury still out on match day. When has he shuffled the magnets to get a spark out of the centre, get Jackson involved, shut down a forward that's getting on top, etc.?

When Amiss got the free kick the call should have come from the box to the bench to go defensive at the centre bounce if Amiss kicks the goal. A draw was as good as a win, coaches blew the last 30 seconds.
and you think that didnt happen

Hmmm you are a better mind reader than i.

Jsut beacuse the players did not follow a plan. doenst mean there isnt one.

JLo seems really likeable and we haven't had an off field incident for years so the standards and culture seem strong and the players seem happy. His press conferences have improved but jury still out on match day. When has he shuffled the magnets to get a spark out of the centre, get Jackson involved, shut down a forward that's getting on top, etc.?
go watch all mastched this year. watch where jackson goes. not jsut centre bounce rucks . not jsut ful lforard.

Look closely

When Pearce and Darcy are unavailable or playing injured we are severely hampered.
The game on the weekend was probably the.best chance to play Reidy and rest Darcy.
Hopefully next year Knobel can play forward/ruck, Jackson the utility that can play all down the spine and we can win with or without Darcy.
Same game next year, Jackson down back and we have the size and flexibility to
cause opposition headaches.

Man he sounded grumpy in the presser. I like it.
Can’t wait to watch

Happy Alison Brie GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can coach (how good I’m not sure) but he’d want to pull his head out his arse with regards to some issues that continue to arise every single time the team goes into a game with alot riding on it

Team selection
Slow starts
Inability to close out games
Lack of genuine plan when games get tight

All still issues 12-18 mths in the making and still no closer to a credible solution for any of them besides The process!!
Aka (WEz aRS yUnGZz!)

Last edited:
Have you seen our team
we have high end elite talent all over the park.
this team sticks together it won’t matter about the interstate grand final
The bullshit fixture and bias umpires we will be that ****ing good.
You need to change your tune.
Things are different now
I can understand others ignorance but if you can’t get excited for our march to a premiership you might aswell give it up.
How are you feeling now?

He can coach (how good I’m not sure) but he’d want to pull his head out his arse with regards to some issues that continue to arise every single time the team goes into a game with alot riding on it

Team selection
Slow starts

All still issues 12-18 mths in the making and still no closer to a credible solution for any of them besides
WEz aRS yUnGZz!

I’ve been saying the same things you’ve mentioned here for years. He’s too stubborn and just does not learn his lessons as a coach and the same problems have continued to cost us over and over. It’s like ****ing groundhog day

I made this comment last Monday ⬇️ 1 week later and the exact same problems I mentioned have cost us again

3 very simplistic things about Longmuir’s coaching that I think he needs to fix before we can go to the next level

Let me start by saying I think JL is one of the better coaches in the AFL today but he has some pretty clear flaws that have been apparent for some time

1. Slow starts. Been a problem for years. In 2022, 2023 and 2024, our worst quarters have been our 1st quarters, including last year where we went 6-17 in 1st quarters. Over JL’s 5 seasons he’s 40-3-61 in 1st quarters. It feels like every game we come out half asleep, let the other team get a run on early, then play uphill catch-up footy in the 2nd. Our slow start was apparent again yesterday, where Essendon doubled our scoring shots and got on top in the midfield battle early, which set the tone for the game. I would’ve thought after the 2022 finals series where we kicked a combined 2 points in the two 1st quarters we played that this issue would be rectified but clearly not.

2. Slow finishes, particularly when we have a >20 point lead at 3QT. This one’s a weird one because it’s something we did in 2022 very well, but in the last 2 seasons if we don’t have a game winning lead by 3QT I almost expect to lose. We go into shut down mode way too early and when teams get a run on we have no answers

Since Round 1, 2023:

R1 2023 - Freo 48-42 St Kilda at 3QT, Freo 52-67 St Kilda final score

R16 2023 - Freo 60-58 Bulldogs early in the 4th, Freo 73-102 Bulldogs final score

R21 2023 - Freo 62-57 Brisbane early in the 4th, Freo 74-77 Brisbane final score

R5 2024 - Freo 63-54 Carlton late in the 4th, Freo 63-73 Carlton final score

R6 2024 - Freo 62-53 Port late in the 4th, Freo 63-66 Port final score

R17 2024 - Freo 96-77 Sydney early in the 4th, Freo 99-98 Sydney final score (yes we won this one but we very nearly threw it away, should never have left it until a kick after the siren)

R19 2024 - Freo 66-56 Hawthorn early in the 4th, Freo 74-87 Hawthorn final score

And then yesterday, in my opinion the worst of them all given the context

R22 2024 - Freo 82-57 Essendon early in the 4th, Freo 89-90 Essendon final score

3. A stubborn refusal to play/drop certain players. Erasmus over Brodie yesterday was the wrong choice albeit expected given the selection panels hateboner for Brodie, especially considering Brodie was the closest like-to-like replacement for Fyfe and we tried to shoehorn Erasmus into the Fyfe role which clearly didn’t work. We lacked the bigger body around the stoppages and it showed. It took 6 years for Sturt to break into the team, meanwhile Freddy gets gifted games despite having little influence this year. Chapman could use a week in the WAFL and bring Hughes back in but we know this won’t happen. Doesn’t feel like there’s much selection integrity at the moment

Team selection
Slow starts

All still issues 12-18 mths in the making and still no closer to a credible solution for any of them besides
WEz aRS yUnGZz!

Bingo. His career hinges on fixing at least a couple of these issues next year.

He'll get another season... but it will almost certainly be make or break given we're on track for a very abject finish to 2024.

Bingo. His career hinges on fixing at least a couple of these issues next year.

He'll get another season... but it will almost certainly be make or break given we're on track for a very abject finish to 2024.

He's lucky to get another season if we miss finals this year, I agree he 100% will be he's incredibly lucky.

I’ve been saying the same things you’ve mentioned here for years. He’s too stubborn and just does not learn his lessons as a coach and the same problems have continued to cost us over and over. It’s like ****ing groundhog day

I made this comment last Monday ⬇️ 1 week later and the exact same problems have cost us again
Yea it’s his stubbornness (appearing from the outside anyway)in not changing things up with regards to these issues that’s frustrating the most
I mean I don’t doubt they’re trying things but I’m not so sure it’s “enough”

His main solutions to most of them seem to be it’ll just improve with time and continue teachings aka the process
(He’s stated he wants us to be a process driven team ad nauseum ) but it’s clearly not enough/not working
He still comes across as a very reactive coach

I mean the tabs and worner selections were diabolical today to say the least for a start

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back