Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you manage to get a look at what Scott looked like just before Amiss took the shot to tie it. There was certainly no aura around him. Also just because Lyon still throws out the one liners this is merely a diversion to distract from how bad his team is and they are only going to get worse until he is let go in the next couple of years.
Like I said, thought it might draw me some heat. Not a fan of Scott anyway, and can't argue about Lyon's team either. I hope J-Lo pushes through and wins the club some silverware. They were just my personal thoughts on him

just because you dont see a plan in use . doesnt mean there isnt one

Experience players need to make those last few minute calls.

Sadly our three most experience were not there

FYFe . Walters and Pearce

We had two vice captains (acting captains) in that centre bounce. Young is part of the leadership team and Darcy is experienced. The set up made no sense considering they had won it that way throughout the game and the game situation.

I agree we would have had a plan, in this instance we either had a poor plan, poor execution or were not aware.

just because you dont see a plan in use . doesnt mean there isnt one

Experience players need to make those last few minute calls.

Sadly our three most experience were not there

FYFe . Walters and Pearce
We lacked the experience of Fyfe in that last ten minute.Serong and Brayshaw do not have that senior player experience to master that situation.Fyfe, if he was there, would have been front and centre at every centre bounce after the first goal.
There is no way that they would have marked so easily down back with Pearce in the team.
But you can't have what to you haven't got.
Even having Walter in the team would have calmed things down.Shut contests down to get organised.

Without sifting through the entrails of that game and the scoreboard at the final siren, has JLo changed his mind about replacing Darcy with Jackson in the event of Darcy being injured?

Reidy being on the plane is a good indicator that JLo might be going to replace a ruckman with a ruckman if required. Good coaching to not persist with Jacko as No1 ruck and pulling Treacy away from the forward line to act as second ruck.

Unfortunately, at this stage of the season Jackson's overall form is a huge worry. Hardly effective at all in any role.

We lacked the experience of Fyfe in that last ten minute.Serong and Brayshaw do not have that senior player experience to master that situation.Fyfe, if he was there, would have been front and centre at every centre bounce after the first goal.
There is no way that they would have marked so easily down back with Pearce in the team.
But you can't have what to you haven't got.
Even having Walter in the team would have calmed things down.Shut contests down to get organised.
agreed, the acting captains are just not experienced enough to make those calls.

Disagree on Brayshaw particularly not having the experience to make the calls re set up. 100% agree it’s a better midfield with Fyfe in it - but Andy’s been in the game for 7 years, is closing in on 150 games, is a vice captain, has an AA, a Doig, an AFLPA MVP. I think it’s time we stopped thinking of him as ‘young’ and ‘inexperienced’ - he’s 25 this year. It sounds like I am, but I promise I’m not hanging it on him because I love him and he wasn’t alone in bottling those last 30 seconds, but he’s a senior player, not a kid anymore.

agreed, the acting captains are just not experienced enough to make those calls.

Then they shouldn't be acting captains. One is a hundred game, AA player and the other an AA hundred plus gamer who was the AFL MVP.

They should have had someone on the defensive side of that centre bounce.

Disagree on Brayshaw particularly not having the experience to make the calls re set up. 100% agree it’s a better midfield with Fyfe in it - but Andy’s been in the game for 7 years, is closing in on 150 games, is a vice captain, has an AA, a Doig, an AFLPA MVP. I think it’s time we stopped thinking of him as ‘young’ and ‘inexperienced’ - he’s 25 this year. It sounds like I am, but I promise I’m not hanging it on him because I love him and he wasn’t alone in bottling those last 30 seconds, but he’s a senior player, not a kid anymore.

What ImperialPurple said.

I am a massive Brayshaw fan. I think he has been our most consistently in form mid for the last 5 games. He is by far the best two way running mid in the game. And there were three leadership team members in that centre bounce and not one set up on the defensive side.

The last 30 seconds are on Darcy and Young. The ball was nowhere near Brayshaw and Serong. However, the problem wasn't the last 30 seconds but the whole last quarter. Letting Essendon comeback like that is unforgivable and the blame lays entirely on the whole midfield. We need to learn to win without Fyfe and Darcy. We need to trial Jackson as a midfielder sooner rather then later.

The last 30 seconds are on Darcy and Young. The ball was nowhere near Brayshaw and Serong. However, the problem wasn't the last 30 seconds but the whole last quarter. Letting Essendon comeback like that is unforgivable and the blame lays entirely on the whole midfield. We need to learn to win without Fyfe and Darcy. We need to trial Jackson as a midfielder sooner rather then later.
Once a team scores two in a row you need to lock it down and stop momentum, we let them score 5.

The biggest issue I have with anything this week was the selection of Erasmus over Brodie. Not necessarily the coaches fault as there is a match committee, but I felt we needed more experience into the midfield mix with Fyfe out & playing in front of a hostile crowd at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Focussing on not being able to shut the game down gor 36 seconds, ok all good.
What about letting four or five goals through jn what, 8-9 minutes?
Woeful effort. Midfield rubbish effort which put all the pressure on our backs, who are looking really fragile lately without Pearce.
Why aren't we talking to Barrass?

Needs: skilled dynamic small forward, big strong midfielder with some class and a defender with a bit of body strength.

If we had chucker Cripps in our midfield we win that game by 8 goals.

Once a team scores two in a row you need to lock it down and stop momentum, we let them score 5.

Iv always wondered what people mean by this?

I think this type of tactic is what let's Collingwood roll sides.

They get 2 in a row and then sides "lock it down" and stop trying to score.

We were just smashed in the center clearances and made a lot of errors. I don't think trying to shut up shop was the answere.

I am a (somewhat, begrudingly) fan of J-Lo the coach, not necessarily the person. By that I mean, I don't hate on him...I just feel conflicted about his presence, his overall 'aura'. And ultimately, whether there's enough there in the character to take this team to the next level. I'd argue it's a smaller percentage of feeling, as I do think J-Lo as a coach has grown a bit and has a clear messaging manner and a way that has the players invested. But I'm not in the 4 walls, so I honestly don't know. These are just feelings, or intuitions.

I know there's not a lot he could do about certain moments in games....Raz and whoever the other one was running too far without bouncing (Sharp did this too I think against the Dees recently?). Obviously, there's a lot a coach can't control during the game, but there's a lot they can. Horses for courses.

What I didn't like seeing was a coach biting his nails, looking nervy and panicky. I don't like this. He needs to think about this, and how he handles these moments. He looked flustered. And that's not a good look for your senior coach. Of course, he wouldn't be the first and it's hardly crime of the century. But I just didn't like seeing it, I thought it looked weak and it typified the day. We weren't psychologically strong enough to cope with the boiling point outside the comfy confines of our Optus Ivory Tower. These are issues for mine.

Don't want to become flat track bullies either. We should have scouted what Essendon were going to try and do psychology wise. Their season was on the line, our season and a chance to push for top 2 was also there. We struggled with it. Yes we came back and got in front, that was good.

But we capitulated when it mattered most.

And I'm not comfortable with J-Lo pressers...still!! Too many awkward pauses and stumbles, stutters. Want to see a coach that can articulate himself enough to give me confidence even if it's more bravado than anything. I accept it's not the most important of things, but as an example I still watch Lyon pressers just for the amusement! Although he is versed in his own well-worn tropes and cliches, there's something about him that feels worth ingesting in. J-Lo's are horribly bland for mine, I hate saying it; just spitballing my honesty. I hope he wins a Premiership or 4 just so he can shut the likes of me up, let the football do the talking right..?!

This might draw me some heat, and that's fine but these things matter to me and it's just my own personal take. His demeanor, his aura...his projection. I want to be convinced not just given adequate doses of hopium so the club can uptake its membership. I'm torn with him, I'm 50/50
actually i hate the FAKE coaches pressers where it all bluff and lies to the media.

I prefer Justins straight forward responses. We need to improve he says . no need to shout about it ,. just state it

Otherwise we should hire a coach like TRUMP who always gives energised speeches. but not sure how much he knows about AFL.

Do the Scott brother share intel? Chris might get a few tips on how to beat us.
He could always watch the game on Telly otherwise I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iv always wondered what people mean by this?

I think this type of tactic is what let's Collingwood roll sides.

They get 2 in a row and then sides "lock it down" and stop trying to score.

We were just smashed in the center clearances and made a lot of errors. I don't think trying to shut up shop was the answere.
Its not about not attacking and chipping the ball around going nowhere. You need to lock down the stoppages and clearances so the other side doesn't get on a roll. Make sure the ball doesnt get swept easily to the outside opposition at stoppages.

Its not about not attacking and chipping the ball around going nowhere. You need to lock down the stoppages and clearances so the other side doesn't get on a roll. Make sure the ball doesnt get swept easily to the outside opposition at stoppages.
bit of old fashioned man on man.

3 very simplistic things about Longmuir’s coaching that I think he needs to fix before we can go to the next level

Let me start by saying I think JL is one of the better coaches in the AFL today but he has some pretty clear flaws that have been apparent for some time

1. Slow starts. Been a problem for years. In 2022, 2023 and 2024, our worst quarters have been our 1st quarters, including last year where we went 6-17 in 1st quarters. Over JL’s 5 seasons he’s 40-3-61 in 1st quarters. It feels like every game we come out half asleep, let the other team get a run on early, then play uphill catch-up footy in the 2nd. Our slow start was apparent again yesterday, where Essendon doubled our scoring shots and got on top in the midfield battle early, which set the tone for the game. I would’ve thought after the 2022 finals series where we kicked a combined 2 points in the two 1st quarters we played that this issue would be rectified but clearly not.

2. Slow finishes, particularly when we have a >20 point lead at 3QT. This one’s a weird one because it’s something we did in 2022 very well, but in the last 2 seasons if we don’t have a game winning lead by 3QT I almost expect to lose. We go into shut down mode way too early and when teams get a run on we have no answers

Since Round 1, 2023:

R1 2023 - Freo 48-42 St Kilda at 3QT, Freo 52-67 St Kilda final score

R16 2023 - Freo 60-58 Bulldogs early in the 4th, Freo 73-102 Bulldogs final score

R21 2023 - Freo 62-57 Brisbane early in the 4th, Freo 74-77 Brisbane final score

R5 2024 - Freo 63-54 Carlton late in the 4th, Freo 63-73 Carlton final score

R6 2024 - Freo 62-53 Port late in the 4th, Freo 63-66 Port final score

R17 2024 - Freo 96-77 Sydney early in the 4th, Freo 99-98 Sydney final score (yes we won this one but we very nearly threw it away, should never have left it until a kick after the siren)

R19 2024 - Freo 66-56 Hawthorn early in the 4th, Freo 74-87 Hawthorn final score

And then yesterday, in my opinion the worst of them all given the context

R22 2024 - Freo 82-57 Essendon early in the 4th, Freo 89-90 Essendon final score

3. A stubborn refusal to play/drop certain players. Erasmus over Brodie yesterday was the wrong choice albeit expected given the selection panels hateboner for Brodie, especially considering Brodie was the closest like-to-like replacement for Fyfe and we tried to shoehorn Erasmus into the Fyfe role which clearly didn’t work. We lacked the bigger body around the stoppages and it showed. It took 6 years for Sturt to break into the team, meanwhile Freddy gets gifted games despite having little influence this year. Chapman could use a week in the WAFL and bring Hughes back in but we know this won’t happen. Doesn’t feel like there’s much selection integrity at the moment

In a game that is won by the midfield, JLs development of midfielders is a real concern.

Young, Brayshaw and Serong are quality but the support cast of Fyfe, Sharp, JOM, Aish, Banfield, Switta is worthy of a bottom 4 side and half of those players won’t be playing in 2yrs. Johnson is a maybe.

Brodie and Erasmus aren’t allowed to play.

It’s concerning for the end of year and finals but looking even bleaker for next year. JOM, Fyfe and Aish are only getting worse.

In a game that is won by the midfield, JLs development of midfielders is a real concern.

Young, Brayshaw and Serong are quality but the support cast of Fyfe, Sharp, JOM, Aish, Banfield, Switta is worthy of a bottom 4 side and half of those players won’t be playing in 2yrs. Johnson is a maybe.

Brodie and Erasmus aren’t allowed to play.

It’s concerning for the end of year and finals but looking even bleaker for next year. JOM, Fyfe and Aish are only getting worse.
we've blooded young in there recently, Johnno is getting good exposure.

There's only so many you can develop at once, unless of course you're north or WCE and winning isnt a priority.

actually i hate the FAKE coaches pressers where it all bluff and lies to the media.

I prefer Justins straight forward responses. We need to improve he says . no need to shout about it ,. just state it

Otherwise we should hire a coach like TRUMP who always gives energised speeches. but not sure how much he knows about AFL.
I get it, didn't think it would be a "popular' take, and for what it's worth - still rate J-Lo as a good coach. I was miffed by his reactions in the box and, maybe somewhat separately - by his overall media presentation. It causes me conflictions; I think it's fair to express opinions even if they're not popular. I'm not asking for anyone to be fake or deliberately pompous or bombastic in their pressers etc. An over-the-top overlord like Trump!

My concern is J-Lo has been 5 years into the job and he still sounds nervy and stilted in his talk. I'd wager the pressers are his least favourite part of his job, and words like 'introvert' have floated about media, not just here. But media is media, many of us don't like them much for a reason! And......talk is cheap. I'd like to see things merge in the middle maybe, a median of sorts. A coach that can answer in a completely less monotonous and stultifying way, and can coach the team to the highest of heights.

Don't worry, J-Lo doesn't give 2 f***s what a nuffie on BF like me thinks. Sport is an entertainment, and I want to be entertained - in all facets, let's hope J-Lo can re-galvanise the gang and get some September action happening.

I got inspired to do a comparison on the numbers. I hope I got these right!

Year 1:
Longmuir (2020) - 7 Wins (from 17 games), 12th
Mitchell (2022) - 8 Wins, 13th

Year 2:
Longmuir (2021) - 10 Wins, 11th
Mitchell (2023) - 7 Wins, 16th

Year 3:
Longmuir (2022) - 15.5 Wins, 5th
Mitchell (2024 so far) - 10 Wins (from 18 games), 11th

I get that there are differences in lists, what kind of set up the coach inherited, and the expectations of the clubs, etc. etc., but Mitchell looks a bit behind the curve for mine.

Of course, if he goes 5 W's from 5 for the rest of 2024 and/or manages to have a Year 4 that keep trending rather than the relative drop off that we had in 2023, then I'd have to revisit that.

And regardless of the stats, I'm pretty comfortable in my belief that Longmuir is a better human being than Mitchell. Though whether that should be a factor in assessing the better coach is a whole other conversation.

Without going through a bunch of ladders and drafts it feels like Freo were further into the rebuild when JLo arrived than when Mitchell got the Hawks job. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young, Logue, Henry would have all been at the club when he arrived that's 6 x top 10 picks. That's why no one wants the WC job because they will have another 3 years bottom 6 so could be a hiding to nothing.

Mitchell is a knob and was a dirty player but he can coach. If I'm Tasmania and both JLo and Mitchell apply for the coaching job I know who I'm hiring and it's not the lanky bloke that bites his nails.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back