Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget scarves, I'm bringing Pretzels just in case we get belted. The ol' Whitey-whackers.

I think we'll win though, but the club should really address the fans. I still don't see a game plan that is premiership quality nor a list that will take us there.

Forget scarves, I'm bringing Pretzels just in case we get belted. The ol' Whitey-whackers.

I think we'll win though, but the club should really address the fans. I still don't see a game plan that is premiership quality nor a list that will take us there.
Yeah we’ll win but so will Carlton and Bulldogs. If one of them doesn’t and it’s on us, we really have that monkey on the back atm and won’t handle it.

When Richmond failed in 2016 they initiated a full review of the footy department and sweeping changes were made to assistant coaches, while Hardwick was retained. Geelong did a similar thing in 2006. I'd be surprised if we do anything close to that at all
Can you see the point here? Not sacking them lead to a dynasty.

One more year is actually worthwhile considering how close we are to contending, especially with 1-2 more guns.

One more year is actually worthwhile considering how close we are to contending, especially with 1-2 more guns.
Just one more year…..….end of 2025, just one more year………end of 2026…..

We aren’t Richmond.

Dimma got them in 13-15

Thommo 00, 04 and 05.

So both had them playing in 3 finals campaigns with Thommo winning a couple. They had a few more runs on the board it must be said.

Just one more year…..….end of 2025, just one more year………end of 2026…..

We aren’t Richmond.
We are also not getting flogged, just 5% off too often. Adjust that 5-10% and we are winning a flag.

Using our draft picks, a bit luckier with injuries to keys, coaches learning on selection/favourites and a bit more experience and we get there.

Would Nathan Buckley be useful, word is he's short of cash and therefore might be more open to moving across the country.

I don’t think Buckley would come if we sacked JL. He’s been a big supporter of him and would feel that JL was betrayed by the club.

I’m once again ready for the stone-throwers in here, but if Longmire isn’t available then the only other experienced coach I want is Hinkley.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think our gameplan is excellent. As Chris Scott said last week - we are easy to scout but very hard to counter.
The fact we are taking it up to every team in the comp and should be finishing top 4 with a young core group is really a pretty decent result.

What isn't good is injuries to our most important players at the business end plus non-imaginative & conservative selection policies and several underperforming players getting a free ride while others languish in the WAFL no matter what they do.

Not playing Reidy & O'Driscoll earlier are howlers which pretty much blew the season. Reidy worked brilliantly with the midfield and some of of clearances were poetry. NOD added dare and dash and nearly helped us steal it.

Taking Fyfe off was just baffling.

Agree with most of what you said except NOD was injured for much of the year and has only come good in the last few weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is Hardwick had made finals three years in a row before their crisis. We’ve made finals once under Longmuir. We’re not as competitive, there is no dynasty in wait.

The problem is Hardwick had made finals three years in a row before their crisis. We’ve made finals once under Longmuir. We’re not as competitive, there is no dynasty in wait.
We have 12.5 wins already, Hardwick made finals in 2014 with 12 wins and probably 17 games at the MCG.

They didn’t win a final either so Longmuir is already in front despite playing less finals.

No point making it if you never win.

The club surrounded Hardwick with experienced assistants, made the changes for success.
Hardwick swallowed his pride and became part of the solution, realised it’s a team
sport on and off the field.
The club picked up a couple of mature aged recruits who bought a hard edge or
something missing.
This is what an outside point of view brings, didn’t hurt that one of the assistants was also a former head coach and hard nut.

We've got to move him on. We're never going to be a ruthless winning team under him.

2023 was his forgive year. To be relying on results to make finals two years after that first and only finals campaign is another failure. JL is nice, develops good relationships, and has some good footy IQ but does not have the ruthlessness, the risk taking factor, the in-game nous and has too many anxiety based hang-ups that lead to conservative selections and reactive planning. To be frank, I think his nervous disposition translates to the playing group.

Consistently bad first quarters for five years. And now a trend of mentally weak last quarters. The cattle is there and he cannot get the most from it.

I think the most telling overall stat of the year is #1 for clearances (the players) and #16 for scores from clearances (the method).

He's had 5 years. The evidence is enough. Do not waste this group of players

He's had 5 years. The evidence is enough. Do not waste this group of players

This is what scares me, GWS wasted an amazing chance due to keeping Cameron for way too long. We have the players to win flags, I just hope we don't waste the opportunity due to keeping a nice Fremantle person around too long.

I don't agree and haven't since last year.

The pressure everyone thought he was under going into this year is where I think he is going into 2025.

Yep, you were bang on with this. Before the weird one year extension I thought he was going to be under some serious pressure this year and while I think he's done a decent job there are still things that he needs to improve on. Team selection or lack of selection needs to be looked at, he like every coach has favourites but some of them especially lately have resulted in losses.

Never understood the one year extension, if you think he's the guy then just sign him up for 2-3 years. Was such a cop out just to get the media of the clubs back. Bring on 2025 because if the trade period goes the way I hope we have no excuses not to be aiming for a top 4 spot, even 6,7,8 would be a fail IMO.

Boy oh boy, we're like the Grand Old Duke of York's men on this board - when they were up they were up and when they were down they were down.
The reality is that Freo 2024 have already exceeded most pundits preseason expectations.
We have the 5th best percentage.
We have locked in two amazing young key forwards - like when ever before??
We are still in with a great chance of making the 8 with one game to go.
We will finish the season with at least 3 more wins than losses - this is enough in virtually any other season to lock in a finals spot.
We still have a young list profile.
Young teams tend to tire - both within games and across seasons.
We have demonstrated that we can play fabulus footy repeatedly.
Of course Longmuir is too nice - that has been a weakness of his leadership evident from very early on.
But his likeableness means that behind the scenes he is a great relationship builder.
Of course the Freo leadership structure needs the mean bastard element to it. If JLo recognises this then I think he has the personality to make room for that dynamic to flourish in the leadership group AND he has the personal strength combined with the lack of ego to harness its power. The power of The Dark Side.
TLDR: JLo has earned 2025. Freo supporters should do just that, support for 2025 - the club and JLo have shown enough to claim that right.

Yep, you were bang on with this. Before the weird one year extension I thought he was going to be under some serious pressure this year and while I think he's done a decent job there are still things that he needs to improve on. Team selection or lack of selection needs to be looked at, he like every coach has favourites but some of them especially lately have resulted in losses.

Never understood the one year extension, if you think he's the guy then just sign him up for 2-3 years. Was such a cop out just to get the media of the clubs back. Bring on 2025 because if the trade period goes the way I hope we have no excuses not to be aiming for a top 4 spot, even 6,7,8 would be a fail IMO.
The one year extension made sense to me and has shown its worth.
I agree that next year requires a quantum improvement for JLo to get further years.

Boy oh boy, we're like the Grand Old Duke of York's men on this board - when they were up they were up and when they were down they were down.
The reality is that Freo 2024 have already exceeded most pundits preseason expectations.
We have the 5th best percentage.
We have locked in two amazing young key forwards - like when ever before??
We are still in with a great chance of making the 8 with one game to go.
We will finish the season with at least 3 more wins than losses - this is enough in virtually any other season to lock in a finals spot.
We still have a young list profile.
Young teams tend to tire - both within games and across seasons.
We have demonstrated that we can play fabulus footy repeatedly.
Of course Longmuir is too nice - that has been a weakness of his leadership evident from very early on.
But his likeableness means that behind the scenes he is a great relationship builder.
Of course the Freo leadership structure needs the mean bastard element to it. If JLo recognises this then I think he has the personality to make room for that dynamic to flourish in the leadership group AND he has the personal strength combined with the lack of ego to harness its power. The power of The Dark Side.
TLDR: JLo has earned 2025. Freo supporters should do just that, support for 2025 - the club and JLo have shown enough to claim that right.
At the end of the day it’s a result based business. Being 3rd a month ago and dropping out the 8 gives supporters every right to question whether JLO is the right man.

If Fremantle extend Longmuir before next season starts it will be an extremely dumb move. I still question whether Fremantle at the time went through the full process of selecting a coach. There is no doubt that Longmuir being an ex Fremantle person helped him get the job which is extremely narrow minded.

5th season now I just don’t want to see another group of players careers get wasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back