Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Our list is top 8 quality. We should be playing finals.

Is it though? The teams that finished above us are playing better footy except Carlton who are absolutely the walking wounded.

Hawks despite losing Lewis and having no talented key backs put a cricket score on against North. They’ve passed us in the last 12 months.

Is it though? The teams that finished above us are playing better footy except Carlton who are absolutely the walking wounded.

Hawks despite losing Lewis and having no talented key backs put a cricket score on against North. They’ve passed us in the last 12 months.
We have just watched a game where Logan Evans, BZT, Ratugolea, Mead, Drew, Sweet and Mcentee all torched us.
Guys that are much maligned and considered C grade role players by most freo fans on here.
Would JL achieve the same level of performance and fiery agression from these guys?
I think our list has a few holes but no list is perfect.

Does anyone think he was even a chance for the job if he didn’t have ties to the club?

He’s a nervous wreck, how well could he really interview.

I always hated our process for the coach search because it seemed like Bell really wanted JL so they just shoehorned it in.

Adelaide was the other vacant position at the time, he was never even in consideration for that job. Craig McRae, Adam Kingsley were some of the long term assistants around that we didn’t even look at.

I gave JL the benefit of the doubt for a long time because hey maybe despite the club ties he was actually an outstanding coach, but after 5 years now that it’s obvious he’s just warm dishwater at best the farce of a process run by Bell to get his mate in at the expense of the best possible outcome for the club really pisses me off.

I would rate our talent as better than Hawthorn’s but you can easily tell why they got rid of Clarkson for Mitchell.

We can have a miracle trade period and snatch both Warner and Bolton and I’m still not sure things would improve drastically because we have a fundamental problem with intensity. Yeah we would probably win few more games and make finals with those two and then crumble again under finals pressure.

This is a coaching issue, has to be. Otherwise we have bigger issues and I don’t even wanna go there

That's ok, mate. Let it all out.
Stop making excuses for a coach that has underachieved two years in a row.

I get it you are just here for the feels and you don't care if the club can actually run a successful football department.

But amazingly mediocrity annoys people who have higher standards than your own.

Good for you then you just built different.....only a fool would put up with 30 years of crap and be optimistic about a premiership
When you're realistic about the list, it's still 4-5 quality players short of being a top team. The good news is we have an excellent draft hand.

If Freo can fix that at the draft this year, I'd be very optimistic about a Premiership in the next 3 or 4 years. About the time Treacy, Amiss, Jackson hit 25.

But you have to understand that just raging about 'Freo should be better' isn;t seated in reality.

Everyone that’s played this great game before at any level knows if the coach has your respect, you’ll be prepared to run through walls for them and give everything you’ve got. Right now I see players holding back and showing hesitation in intensity.

Need a coach they’ll do anything for, it’s fairly obvious.

When you're realistic about the list, it's still 4-5 quality players short of being a top team. The good news is we have an excellent draft hand.

If Freo can fix that at the draft this year, I'd be very optimistic about a Premiership in the next 3 or 4 years. About the time Treacy, Amiss, Jackson hit 25.

But you have to understand that just raging about 'Freo should be better' isn;t seated in reality.
The amount of times I read in 2021 (“2023 to 2025 is our window”)

Then in 2022 ( “next year is our time”)

After last year was ( “2024 to 2026 will be the beginning of the dynasty”)

Now we need to wait another 3 to 4 years…yeah not buying that. We lost our last 4 games due to bad player management, selections and inability to close games. Intensity throughout games is poor too.

The time is now and we just finished 10th. That is mediocrity.

We need to consider Justin Leppitsch. Done the job before with a crap list and will be a lot better with ours. Most importantly he’s played in Premierships and been an Assistant in Premierships.

If Scott or Horse aren’t available, we look at him.

No, I'm suggesting these players who are elite footballers and directly involved in the day-to-day might have a better idea of how things are going behind the scenes than a bunch of hurt fans.
Yeah we shouldn't let our lying eyes fool us, we're really not 10th and we'll be playing in the grand final next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was fairly critical of Longmuir last year, but think he did an OK job this season and I am comfortable with him as the coach for next season, however I still have a problem with his public messaging.

When you're fronting the press after losses and you lament the playing group's culpability of slow starts, execution, consistency and inability to win close games, it's understandable in isolated performances. But when it's years of this under his tenure, when these flaws become the team's identity, then it has to be the coaching staff's responsibility for a failure to prepare correctly.

He never puts the burden on himself as a coach, belligerently bringing an attitude of 'IF ONLY THEY DID WHAT I SAY WE'D WIN ALL THE TIME'

Anyway, whatever any of us think, his runway is extremely short at the moment.

I think we’re stuck with JL now on this particular iteration of our continuous rebuild. Clubs generally sack coaches towards the end of a season, and I can’t recall any team making finals (let alone being in flag contention) having sacked their coach mid-season. But my memory isn’t as good as it used to be.

If JL isn’t sacked this off season, then 2025 is going to be either heaven or hell for us. There’s no middle ground where he goes mid-season and we magically make a run into premiership contention.

The Club really needs to decide before trade week(s) whether they back him in or give him the boot. The 1 year extension at the start of the year and accompanying reasons for it (remove the media noise) has left them in a quandary. If they give him the boot, they’ll be crucified for the 1 year extension. If they don’t and we have a 2025 like we have 2024, then the opportunity to actually compete with the big boys may well be lost.

After being invested in this Club since inception, I fully expect we will give JL a 2 year extension this off season and then sack him in 2 years time with 1 year left on that contract and no flags.

Sorry to be so down on this Monday morning.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The amount of times I read in 2021 (“2023 to 2025 is our window”)

Then in 2022 ( “next year is our time”)

After last year was ( “2024 to 2026 will be the beginning of the dynasty”)

Now we need to wait another 3 to 4 years…yeah not buying that. We lost our last 4 games due to bad player management, selections and inability to close games. Intensity throughout games is poor too.

The time is now and we just finished 10th. That is mediocrity.
Right. So saying 'the time is now" fixes the list and magically makes all the players we lost return.

Fantasy.

I think we’re stuck with JL now on this particular iteration of our continuous rebuild. Clubs generally sack coaches towards the end of a season, and I can’t recall any team making finals (let alone being in flag contention) having sacked their coach mid-season. But my memory isn’t as good as it used to be.

If JL isn’t sacked this off season, then 2025 is going to be either heaven or hell for us. There’s no middle ground where he goes mid-season and we magically make a run into premiership contention.

The Club really needs to decide before trade week(s) whether they back him in or give him the boot. The 1 year extension at the start of the year and accompanying reasons for it (remove the media noise) has left them in a quandary. If they give him the boot, they’ll be crucified for the 1 year extension. If they don’t and we have a 2025 like we have 2024, then the opportunity to actually compete with the big boys may well be lost.

After being invested in this Club since inception, I fully expect we will give JL a 2 year extension this off season and then sack him in 2 years time with 1 year left on that contract and no flags.

Sorry to be so down on this Monday morning.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
You cant extend him after the last 4 weeks.

We just need to embrace the speculation that's going to come our way.

So does Longmuir.

I am happy to roll the dice next year and let the results dictate where we go.

At the end of the day if we are 4-7 after 11 rounds then JL is as good as gone.

If we are 8-3 then things may be still on the track without the hiccup of the past month.

We just have to see how the season goes.

But JL has probably used his last get of jail free card now.

We wont be using the draft very much as we already have draftees at Peel who cant get a game.

We have just watched a game where Logan Evans, BZT, Ratugolea, Mead, Drew, Sweet and Mcentee all torched us.
Guys that are much maligned and considered C grade role players by most freo fans on here.
Would JL achieve the same level of performance and fiery agression from these guys?
I think our list has a few holes but no list is perfect.
Logan Evans will probably get the rising star nom this week & probably could've had it 4 times already, I don't know how he slipped through the draft last year it beggars belief at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back