Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if we make top four next year, if Chris Scott said yes I would instantly take him ahead of JLo. I hope we ask the question because that's the type of ruthlessness that wins premierships.

Even if we make top four next year, if Chris Scott said yes I would instantly take him ahead of JLo. I hope we ask the question because that's the type of ruthlessness that wins premierships.

I tell ya…I almost wish We’d not made finals in 2010 and the Steve’s had sacked Harvey then and just promoted Scott…

There’s a ****ing sliding door for you

I tell ya…I almost wish We’d not made finals in 2010 and the Steve’s had sacked Harvey then and just promoted Scott…

There’s a ****ing sliding door for you
You can only play the cards you are dealt my friend. We have JLo so let's give him next season to prove his worth. Otherwise let's back in the club to find an appropriate replacement.

Ruthlessness (whatever that is) is not enough to win premierships.
Gross oversimplification!
Chris Scott led the Cats to 2 Premierships.
In between he went 10 years cupless!
Why do you think he wouldn't go 10 yrs at Freo without a flag?

Last edited:
Chris Scott led the Cats to 2 Premierships. In between he went 10 years cupless!
C'mon mate, "he went 10 years cupless" is a dumb argument. Look at his track record in those ten years below. He has only missed finals once! Any coach with that record would be celebrated. Premierships are hard to win so repeated finals appearances is the best chance of winning one. JLo's record is not poor, it's just extremely average.
YearLadder PositionWLFinals' Result
20112nd193Premiers (9)
20126th157Lost Elimination Final
20132nd184Lost Preliminary Final
20143rd175Lost Semi-Final
201510th119DNQ
20162nd175Lost Preliminary Final
20172nd156Lost Preliminary Final
20188th139Lost Elimination Final
20191st‡166Lost Preliminary Final
20204th125Runners-up (10)
20213rd166Lost Preliminary Final
20221st‡184Premiers (10)
202312th1012DNQ
20243rd158

We lost too many at Optus this year, the derby being the worst. Need to make Optus a fortress and win at least 10 games in Perth then you just need to beat the teams outside the 8 away to have a good season.

I think we actually play better away. They seem to feel the pressure to perform at home.
We also do better in day games partly because Jackson for one seems to be able to judge marks properly.

Also the thing that genuinely does worry me about JL is with selection.

Scott resisted the urge to recall DeKonig, Hawkins, Rohan. Backed the kids to get it done. You just know JL would have backed the experienced players.

Hinkley chose Dixon who has done nothing for 3 years over Marshall. Just crazy.
Team selection is my biggest concern with JLo, might be seen as hindsight hero but I was calling for Reidy to play for a long time before he actually got a chance, the fact they took him to Melbourne as the travelling emergency for the bombers game but went with a clearly struggling Darcy is just nuts to me, had an opportunity to give him a debut in front of friends and family but bottled it at selection. The following week we went with Tabs !

Scott resisted the urge to recall DeKonig, Hawkins, Rohan. Backed the kids to get it done. You just know JL would have backed the experienced players.

Well, there was that time in 2022 when Amiss was picked ahead of Taberner for the finals. We really only have 5 players on our list over 150 games in Fyfe, Walters, O'Meara, Aish and Ryan. Could also make argument that not playing Aish and having Walters as sub in the last game against Port Adelaide wasn't really giving preference to the older players.

JLo has no plan B on match day though. Hogan was killing Cox. Play Chapman on him for the 2nd half since Chappy did well the week before on Cameron. Send someone to Brent Daniels who carved us up with 30 possessions, 3 goals and about 15 tackles. Try something. Anything.
Daniels was outstanding. Walker started on him but was getting carved up so they moved Walker to Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I get the sentiment and frustration with JLo and MC's conservatism, I think we do have to acknowledge him selecting Jye Amiss in the 2022 elimination final when he only had a few games under his belt.

Just heard in 91.3 fm geelong was 3rd in afl H/A season for points for and only 11th points against. Port 3rd in points against but only 8th for points for. Dockers and Saints top 4 for points against but bottom 6 for points for and both didn't make finals. Out of geelong and port geelong got the edge when it came to finals.
So next year our focus should be to be top4 in points for. Dockers Please do what ever it take to get there, whether ball movement or game plan or trading another quality forward along with Bolton or drafting a top quality forward in this draft etc.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

SEN have just been talking about how the good coaches like Chris Scott, and Sam Mitchell this year learn from their mistakes in losses and do things differently the next time around.

Question to JL fans, does JL do this?

SEN have just been talking about how the good coaches like Chris Scott, and Sam Mitchell this year learn from their mistakes in losses and do things differently the next time around.

Question to JL fans, does JL do this?
Played tabs over Reidy.

Next week played Reidy.

(Actually to be fair to all involved in the original decision, Reidy had been emergency 2 weeks prior, and needed to play guaranteed minutes. Peel played the day before, and they would have been fairly sure Darcy would get up. All wrong in hindsight, but understand the intent)

Also, Scott identified ports weaknesses, the team executed.

Freo are harder to take away our strengths. That’s a good thing. Probably set Geelong up tbh, how hard they had to work to beat us, then a loss and a week to work on things before a week off.

Played tabs over Reidy.

Next week played Reidy.

(Actually to be fair to all involved in the original decision, Reidy had been emergency 2 weeks prior, and needed to play guaranteed minutes. Peel played the day before, and they would have been fairly sure Darcy would get up. All wrong in hindsight, but understand the intent)

That would be akin to Stanley being a late out for Geelong, and them selecting a Tom Hawkins who can barely move in his place. Pretty easy to 'learn' when you make a mistake so dumb that it slaps you in the mouth.
The only reason Tabs could have been selected the following week was if we were outright tanking. Hardly a nuanced learning experience. I'd say the more obvious case was watching Jackson get dominated as a solo ruck against Hawthorn, or Darcy playing injured against Essendon. And still refusing to make the right call for the Geelong game.

I think we actually play better away. They seem to feel the pressure to perform at home.
We also do better in day games partly because Jackson for one seems to be able to judge marks properly.

Shai Bolton loves Optus, if he can kick a few bags of 4 and be the difference in a couple of close games at home that makes recruiting him worthwhile.

Daniels was outstanding. Walker started on him but was getting carved up so they moved Walker to Jones.

Under RTB you could be confident that Crowley and deBoer would go to someone and those 2 players would have a tough day. I'd love to see us find a role player with a bit of niggle. Bontempelli seems to get 30 and 2 goals every time we play them.

Played tabs over Reidy.

Next week played Reidy.

Surely there's enough evidence that Darcy needs to be very close to 100% fit to play?

Not playing Reidy against Essendon and rushing Alex Pearce back against Melbourne when he didn't have a match up was the difference between top 2 and finishing 10th.

Surely there's enough evidence that Darcy needs to be very close to 100% fit to play?

Not playing Reidy against Essendon and rushing Alex Pearce back against Melbourne when he didn't have a match up was the difference between top 2 and finishing 10th.
I don't think Reidy makes a difference against the Bombers.

Subbing Ras off instead of rotating him onto Merrett or Durham as a defensive mid was the mistake. That whole midfield setup for the last was awful.

The constant turnovers from midfield and half back.

Yeah, the Darcy call overrall was a screw up, but at 70% he was still doing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back