Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He was just fine rotating with Mundy in the 60% game time range for both of them.
Simply put though, Brodie's greatest strength is clearances, but it's been anything but an area of need for us this year (and he's not even in the best two on our list in that area).

No doubt the coaches would then be concerned by his lack of versatility when evaluating the game day options.

The stats would back this up…
Shit or get off the pot time next year for JL, year 6

Really hope we are in his ear for coaching gig.
The chances of a coach with his CV and experience coming to freo as an assistant are pretty much 0.001%

As luck would have it tho this is totally unique situation and bloke seems generally keen to stay in WA (likely his family too) it’s absolute no brainer to offer him a role
We badly need some more IP and different voice in the coaches box and as far as opportunity goes it doesn’t get any better than this for the club

Everytime I watch one of these finals I can’t escape the feeling that JL signature style of handball chains out of, and around, contested ball situations is just not compatible with this level of AFL footy.

The opposition pressure on the ball is too much. Players get split seconds if even that to play the ball in finals.
Last night as the game came to a climax players from both sides were barely even taking possession. Just hacking it off the deck soccer style to take territory.
I’m struggling to remember many JL coached wins where the opposition brought that kind of insane pressure and we withstood it and the handballing gameplan stood up to the scrutiny and test.
We have had good wins against decent sides for sure, but it’s often been teams we have caught on the hop mid-season where they haven’t played their 100% best footy.
EVERYONE is bringing their A-game to the big finals. We aren’t going to ambush a team in a prelim final that shows up and doesn’t bother to apply pressure as if it’s a regular round 13 or 14 game.

Anyway we are invested in him now for next year, rightly or wrongly, and it seems there will be minimal changes to the coaching staff.
He definitely should not be getting any contract extension again until next season is over.

Everytime I watch one of these finals I can’t escape the feeling that JL signature style of handball chains out of, and around, contested ball situations is just not compatible with this level of AFL footy.

The opposition pressure on the ball is too much. Players get split seconds if even that to play the ball in finals.
Last night as the game came to a climax players from both sides were barely even taking possession. Just hacking it off the deck soccer style to take territory.
I’m struggling to remember many JL coached wins where the opposition brought that kind of insane pressure and we withstood it and the handballing gameplan stood up to the scrutiny and test.
We have had good wins against decent sides for sure, but it’s often been teams we have caught on the hop mid-season where they haven’t played their 100% best footy.
EVERYONE is bringing their A-game to the big finals. We aren’t going to ambush a team in a prelim final that shows up and doesn’t bother to apply pressure as if it’s a regular round 13 or 14 game.

Anyway we are invested in him now for next year, rightly or wrongly, and it seems there will be minimal changes to the coaching staff.
He definitely should not be getting any contract extension again until next season is over.
How many games did we get flogged in this year?

south park beat a dead horse GIF

Enough already.

GWS play the same way don't they? My biggest concern is the pressure from us. That's the biggest difference IMO. If he can't get that up, we aren't going anywhere.

I also genuinely believe we possess more because we have no ground ball threats up front to do any damage. Sounds like that's changing this year.

I also think he's been shown to tweak things over an offseason so I think there's hope it can all come together next year. Top 4 or bust though and I'll be pissed if he's signed up before the season is finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockeroo has some valid points though. I saw people blaming a lack of one touch players as the cause of fumbling in those last few rounds but it's probably the overuse of the ball that's the issue.
The point is he’s made these ‘valid points’ over & over. Hence the flog a dead horse.

It’s funny how nobody has noticed how much Hawthorn handball the ball & over the 2nd half of the year have used it as much if not more than us. But that doesn’t suit the agenda.

In fact across the board our numbers are very similar to Hawthorn & both teams like to protect the ball, but Hawthorn are revolutionaries & ahead of their time but we just turn it over under pressure, apparently.

Our issue is not ball movement or turnovers, it’s getting our forward half structure functioning together. We don’t do that & we need to get that sorted.

The point is he’s made these ‘valid points’ over & over. Hence the flog a dead horse.

It’s funny how nobody has noticed how much Hawthorn handball the ball & over the 2nd half of the year have used it as much if not more than us. But that doesn’t suit the agenda.

In fact across the board our numbers are very similar to Hawthorn & both teams like to protect the ball, but Hawthorn are revolutionaries & ahead of their time but we just turn it over under pressure, apparently.

Our issue is not ball movement or turnovers, it’s getting our forward half structure functioning together. We don’t do that & we need to get that sorted.
It might also help if some actual specific evidence of said points to show their validity was produced to back them up. As opposed to say "I can't escape the feeling...".

I agree with the first bit but not about the forward structure. Our losses against Essendon, Hawks, Eagles and Dogs were on the midfield. In the Port game they just shat the bed infront of goals.

It was interesting to watch Mitchell play Watson as a stand alone, deepest forward at times last night. If we end up with Bolton I hope JLo would try a similar tactic occasionally just to see what happens. JLo may well be too set in his ways to try something like that?

I'll take a twat coach who can coach, over a nice guy who can't.
Yea it’s hilarious isn’t it .

As long there not a complete tool , who gives a ****, as long as the blokes got a game plan that stands up and can make decisions on the fly as they present themselves when not everything’s going your way(in finals that’s more often than not as good teams just won’t let you play the way you want)

In fact there’s pretty good evidence that says it’s a pre requisite that all the great coach’s are twats and by that I mean let their emotions get the better of them every now and again..cause wait for it ….their ultra competitive beasts and have a win at all costs mentality

Scott, RTB, clarko, horse, McRae, Mitchell , Hardwick going back bit further Malthouse- fair bit of genuine floggery amongst ALL of that lot and yet all clearly the best at their profession the last 20 years

The fact that jlo is almost the total opposite could actually be perceived as more cause for concern rather than congratulatory

Yea it’s hilarious isn’t it .

As long there not a complete tool , who gives a ****, as long as the blokes got a game plan that stands up and can make decisions on the fly as they present themselves when not everything’s going your way(in finals that’s more often than not as good teams just won’t let you play the way you want)

In fact there’s pretty good evidence that says it’s a pre requisite that all the great coach’s are twats and by that I mean let their emotions get the better of them every now and again..cause wait for it ….their ultra competitive beasts and have a win at all costs mentality

Scott, RTB, clarko, horse, McRae, Mitchell , Hardwick going back bit further Malthouse- fair bit of genuine floggery amongst ALL of that lot and yet all clearly the best at their profession the last 20 years

The fact that jlo is almost the total opposite could actually be perceived as more cause for concern rather than congratulatory
What's wrong with Horse? Seems like a decent guy. Have I missed something?

How about a good coach who's not a complete dick?

Paul Roos is a good example.
The paul Roos who had RTB and horse as his assistants?

Decent coach hardly extraordinary tho

Now compare to Hardwick , clarko, Thompson,Scott , Malthouse and Mathew’s further back all generational coaches and by large, pricks.

As I said previous post, history of the modern game in terms of multiple premiership winners is not great reading to supporters of the “nice guy” coach
Facts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back