Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of rhetoric on here, in disguise of no agenda.
Can we try and leave out an agenda to destroy Freo - it gets a bit old. Yes Hardie and co wanted Lyon out in a big way - but most of you did too, so can most agree on that.
Believe it or not, the media would like nothing more than Freo doing well. Especially sports media - it helps careers and creates stories and sells.

There is no doubt this is a majority Eagles town, and the media is owned by a lot of it. I see it all the time and yes, it sickens me. Take the loss against Hawks, and the loss of top 4, the headline "Eagles still a chance to go back to back". I am sure Freo in that situation would read "Dockers blow it again".

They are the headlines. I do not mind, it drives my loyalty and passion further.

Finding a coach has nothing to do with the media. I will end this post, and write another on some thoughts on possible candidates. I just wanted to point out that we have always been the underdog, it is a captivating team, and it is uncertain, and it takes real loyalty to keep on the ride. I do not regret taking my side with the club one bit from the time they started. It was love at first site. This, they have to get right, but the most important thing is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Eagles.

OK, so I do not have a history of following coaches like I do players through competitive stats games like Supercoach. Before I get ridiculed for this, in competitive leagues it takes an enormous amount of commitment and study to the way teams play and key indicators that I believe many coaches look at.

So this is one of the points I make. A "key reason" for Ross getting the boot was for "key players" leaving. We lost Neale - that was pretty much it last year, and we trumped that trade. In fact our team would take Lobb over Neale on his form alone, alas we landed Jesse as well. Who knows how this will unfold - you never do know - look at Hawks and Tom Mitchel.

So one thing Ross did well was retain and attract players. I think this is critical A good relationship with the group.

A coach with the media. This is a simple one - when you are winning, it is an easy gig, you can say pretty much anything and it will be viewed as genius. That genius falls flat when you are losing.

Many say Ross inherited Mark Harvey's team and basically anyone could have taken them to a GF. Read Matthew Pavlich's book for a real insight here. That team was going not far. Mark Harvey has a quick and quirky nature about him. He seems like the guy that is quick witted and calculating, but he was not so people orientated and he had the group offside and disoriented.

So this brings me to Sumich - he is probably the opposite to Harvey in many respects. Many will be quick to reference his commercials back in the late 80's early 90's but damn that was nearly 30 years ago! As a player, many dismiss how good he actually was. He was not the most skilled but he was smart.
No doubt. If you take his 1991 year and put it against anyone in history it stacks up. Average : 4.4 goals \ 3.6 points (4 goals and 4 points every game). 11.9 kicks, 6.8 marks, .8 tackles. It was not a one off year, he had 4 great years. This was from a bloke that was 6'3.
My main point here is that there are not many key forward that become coaches. There are not many that played in 2 premierships, and played for 9 years with the coaching history he has. In my opinion, when I take my purple glasses off, on face value...Sumich is an excellent choice for us at this point in time.
A big part is also that he has experience in a lot of things - I think he is around the perfect age for coaching. I think he has that father element, but close enough.
I am not endorsing Sumich here, but I am giving him a good chance at it, and part of me says he would the right person to come in.

Justin Longmuir. We all love JLo. He got the tall gene, and Troy was much shorter. Both were great West Pert players and went on to AFL with good careers. Justin was set for stardom, however his body was not made for AFL and he managed 139 games for a total of 166 goals. We all remember the Saint Kilda game which was folklore history and joyous to all. In a crude twist of fate, Saint Kilda seem linked to a lot of our history. Sirengate, Steven Baker, Longmuir, Lyon, Lyon ... I am sure there are more.

Anyway, so Longmuir. Another standup character - seems well spoken, alas not the quick witty charismatic displays shown by our former two leaders in Harvey and Lyon, however 10 steps up from Damien Drum, and probably a few up on Sumich. He has part of the blue steel going on in which you think - this guy is good. I think on the looking contest he beats Sumich easily but who knows - I am not a good judge of this, but the newer generation seems to be quite metrosexual - skinny jeans, tats, manicured hair. Off track now, but what I am alluding to, is that we need a coach based on experience, and ability. The concern I have for Justin, is that he "HAS NOT" coached per se. When things go wrong, as they will, what will he bring to the table. It is a huge gamble, it will be a fan favourite - almost like picking the write picture on a membership. I am not saying it will not work with JLO, I am saying it would be a typical Freo risky play. There is a lot of noise in his corner, but I am unsure why entirely. Apart from - he is the man. I am at an age in which everything comes down to bits of paper. The bits of paper make more noise than the mouths that speak. At this point I love JLo, but I know nothing about his ability in charge of an AFL team. I am not a fan of Collingwood's game structures, and certainly not Buckley. So working "under Buckley" means nothing Jon Snow.

In my opinion, no matter who the coach we make the 8 next year. Anything else will be a failure...unless we have equal injuries to this year.
It is my firm belief, that we sabotaged Ross, and we were on track and this whole scenario is media induced, and now we simply want another Ross. We are ready to launch into finals, while others will stumble, the only thing that will bind the group is wins.

I would give a 1 year contract to a coach and make the clause, we expect finals, if injuries are x amount. Then simply make another change. I find it highly doubtful we will be grand final bound next year. I think we should play finals though. I am sure under Ross, we would be playing finals next year.

Last edited:

Who was the last finals achieving coach to be sacked? Grant Thomas for Lyon?

Purely speculative, but I am going to say Adam Yze. He's from the Alastair Clarkson stable, been there quite a few years now and has coached both the forward and backlines at Hawthorn.

If Worsfold is, as suggested, sacked as Essendon coach I would personally like to see him take on some kind of role at FFC, whilst also taking over as Peel coach.

I struggle with a few things here.

The very idea that you would even be able to attract a decent coach on a one year deal is as naive as it gets. Add to that the fact that we have no CEO, lack confidence in our List Manager, Assistant Coaches and S&C team and you are edging towards a situation that would make us extremely unattractive as a prospect. Throw in the news that our run and carry is about to run away and it is a scary situation, certainly not one you take a one year deal on. It is a coach killing scenario in the making. We are riding two horses with both on field and off field rebuilds.

Our best hope for finals next season is a familiar one. We need to hope for no injuries to key players.

OK, so I do not have a history of following coaches like I do players through competitive stats games like Supercoach. Before I get ridiculed for this, in competitive leagues it takes an enormous amount of commitment and study to the way teams play and key indicators that I believe many coaches look at.

So this is one of the points I make. A "key reason" for Ross getting the boot was for "key players" leaving. We lost Neale - that was pretty much it last year, and we trumped that trade. In fact our team would take Lobb over Neale on his form alone, alas we landed Jesse as well. Who knows how this will unfold - you never do know - look at Hawks and Tom Mitchel.

So one thing Ross did well was retain and attract players. I think this is critical A good relationship with the group.

A coach with the media. This is a simple one - when you are winning, it is an easy gig, you can say pretty much anything and it will be viewed as genius. That genius falls flat when you are losing.

Many say Ross inherited Mark Harvey's team and basically anyone could have taken them to a GF. Read Matthew Pavlich's book for a real insight here. That team was going not far. Mark Harvey has a quick and quirky nature about him. He seems like the guy that is quick witted and calculating, but he was not so people orientated and he had the group offside and disoriented.

So this brings me to Sumich - he is probably the opposite to Harvey in many respects. Many will be quick to reference his commercials back in the late 80's early 90's but damn that was nearly 30 years ago! As a player, many dismiss how good he actually was. He was not the most skilled but he was smart.
No doubt. If you take his 1991 year and put it against anyone in history it stacks up. Average : 4.4 goals \ 3.6 points (4 goals and 4 points every game). 11.9 kicks, 6.8 marks, .8 tackles. It was not a one off year, he had 4 great years. This was from a bloke that was 6'3.
My main point here is that there are not many key forward that become coaches. There are not many that played in 2 premierships, and played for 9 years with the coaching history he has. In my opinion, when I take my purple glasses off, on face value...Sumich is an excellent choice for us at this point in time.
A big part is also that he has experience in a lot of things - I think he is around the perfect age for coaching. I think he has that father element, but close enough.
I am not endorsing Sumich here, but I am giving him a good chance at it, and part of me says he would the right person to come in.

Justin Longmuir. We all love JLo. He got the tall gene, and Troy was much shorter. Both were great West Pert players and went on to AFL with good careers. Justin was set for stardom, however his body was not made for AFL and he managed 139 games for a total of 166 goals. We all remember the Saint Kilda game which was folklore history and joyous to all. In a crude twist of fate, Saint Kilda seem linked to a lot of our history. Sirengate, Steven Baker, Longmuir, Lyon, Lyon ... I am sure there are more.

Anyway, so Longmuir. Another standup character - seems well spoken, alas not the quick witty charismatic displays shown by our former two leaders in Harvey and Lyon, however 10 steps up from Damien Drum, and probably a few up on Sumich. He has part of the blue steel going on in which you think - this guy is good. I think on the looking contest he beats Sumich easily but who knows - I am not a good judge of this, but the newer generation seems to be quite metrosexual - skinny jeans, tats, manicured hair. Off track now, but what I am alluding to, is that we need a coach based on experience, and ability. The concern I have for Justin, is that he "HAS NOT" coached per se. When things go wrong, as they will, what will he bring to the table. It is a huge gamble, it will be a fan favourite - almost like picking the write picture on a membership. I am not saying it will not work with JLO, I am saying it would be a typical Freo risky play. There is a lot of noise in his corner, but I am unsure why entirely. Apart from - he is the man. I am at an age in which everything comes down to bits of paper. The bits of paper make more noise than the mouths that speak. At this point I love JLo, but I know nothing about his ability in charge of an AFL team. I am not a fan of Collingwood's game structures, and certainly not Buckley. So working "under Buckley" means nothing Jon Snow.

In my opinion, no matter who the coach we make the 8 next year. Anything else will be a failure...unless we have equal injuries to this year.
It is my firm belief, that we sabotaged Ross, and we were on track and this whole scenario is media induced, and now we simply want another Ross. We are ready to launch into finals, while others will stumble, the only thing that will bind the group is wins.

I would give a 1 year contract to a coach and make the clause, we expect finals, if injuries are x amount. Then simply make another change. I find it highly doubtful we will be grand final bound next year. I think we should play finals though. I am sure under Ross, we would be playing finals next year.

Interesting thoughts.

One point though, there's no way a coach gets a 1 year contract. Maybe 2 with some clauses for 3+ or something, but 1, that's not going to happen. They will just stay in their existing jobs if they're only going to be offered 1 year.

It’s Longy as coach with worsfold or mark williams as a mentor
Sumich only chance is If Longy decides to stay in Melbourne, don’t rule out saints sitting down with him again unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumich only chance is If Longy decides to stay in Melbourne, don’t rule out saints sitting down with him again unfortunately.

Where’s this Mark Williams chatter come from? Little perplexed.

What happens if Pyke is released? I agree if it is JLo a mentor and former AFL coach in your corner is a good
idea.
I'd rather Voss than Sumich, it's time for a new era and a clean slate.

What happens if Pyke is released? I agree if it is JLo a mentor and former AFL coach in your corner is a good
idea.
I'd rather Voss than Sumich, it's time for a new era and a clean slate.

That would be interesting if pyke got released!
Pyke wanted jlo to join him a couple years back as there close but Adelaide board rejected it.
Could be reunited

Where’s this Mark Williams chatter come from? Little perplexed.
It’s the same as Sam Mitchell the bloke just started up with Hawks the club he won like four premierships with and is the anointed replacement for Clarkson down the track. Also broke his contract with WC to get out of WA back to Vic. He is 0.00% chance. Not sure why people thrown completely left field options. I also think Sam Mitchell is smart enough not to do a James Hird and step way too quickly into senior coaching.

Mark Williams is an idea thrown around. No basis and just won’t happen IMO.

Not surprised at all. I called Woosh joining us in some capacity about 4 months ago.

I noticed him glaring into the Freo supporters crowd two weeks back, probably thinking I’ll see ya next year.
I see it more as Ben Rutten was on our short list. Nothing has happened yet but a reactionary move would be to lock away Rutten before anyone can even interview him. Ben Rutten would have definitely been on my list to interview.

I see it more as Ben Rutten was on our short list. Nothing has happened yet but a reactionary move would be to lock away Rutten before anyone can even interview him. Ben Rutten would have definitely been on my list to interview.

I agree, I threw up mark williams but I mean that type of person I didn’t mean the man himself.
I do get confused why a name like rutten comes up though over the likes of longmuir to take over Freo.
Both do team defence for instance
One guy has the best team defence for points against and the other guy had 21 unanswered goals kicked against them.
Where was ruttens strategies when the bombers have been getting overrun?
I know where Longy was when he helped stopped west coast scoring for a half of footy and had a big part of Collingwood get into top four with half the backline out injured.

Lolwut

Jarrod Schofield should be the man if they want someone from perth, that has played for freo and has been a successful 2nd tier coach over a sustained period. He ticks all the boxes and is at the front of the list of assistants i reckon. He just moved to Adelaide as his son looks like getting picked up by port in this years draft. Probably a good move he leaves him there now if he is settled and wants to get on with his own career. He has indicated wanted to step up to senior role if it came up and is a proven media performer and seems to connect well with players

Wasn't the idea to remove Ross and replace him with young fresh ideas. Clean fresh air was the term used . Why are Worsfold, Voss, Williams , Sumich, Scott even being mentioned. Now Ross is gone let's do it properly. Stuff the old guard coaches. Ross is the best of the old guard, if the club was going down that track they may as well have resigned Lyon.

I agree, I threw up mark williams but I mean that type of person I didn’t mean the man himself.
I do get confused why a name like rutten comes up though over the likes of longmuir to take over Freo.
Both do team defence for instance
One guy has the best team defence for points against and the other guy had 21 unanswered goals kicked against them.
Where was ruttens strategies when the bombers have been getting overrun?
I know where Longy was when he helped stopped west coast scoring for a half of footy and had a big part of Collingwood get into top four with half the backline out injured.
Getting slammed with 21 unanswered goals is not on the defense and no strategies are going to work when your midfield and forwards are unwilling to work..

Wasn't the idea to remove Ross and replace him with young fresh ideas. Clean fresh air was the term used . Why are Worsfold, Voss, Williams , Sumich, Scott even being mentioned. Now Ross is gone let's do it properly. Stuff the old guard coaches. Ross is the best of the old guard, if the club was going down that track they may as well have resigned Lyon.
Stop talking common sense Salim. JLo for me and I personally don't mind bringing in Mark Williams as a senior assistant (known for good player relationships).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back