Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most teams who go 0-2 doesn't make finals.

North Melbourne is a must win game.
It's at 23 game season.

It should be a 24 or even a 26 game season. Go 0-2 and there is at least 22 or 24 games left in sorting the season out.

Saying that... NBA teams start off going 0-2 or even 0-5 and still make finals or play offs. NBA has 82 regular season games though

2024 will be an interesting season regardless.

If Justin Longmuir and Freo doesnt make finals in 2024, Likely Justin Longmuir will be sacked. I also see the dockers got 0-5 next season too in 2024.

If Longmuir is sacked in 2024, he will be another statistic when it comes to Freo coaches. I have said the average stint or period for a freo mens coach is 5 seasons. And if you look at Freos coaches in their history, its very Accurate.

Neesham was out 1st coach that last 4 years from 1995-98.

Drum lasted 2 and a half seasons from 1999-mid 2001.

Ben Allan was an interim coach that lasted 10-12 games. So that does not count.

Chris Connolly lasted 5 and a half seasons from early 2002 to mid 2007.

Mark Harvey took over in mid 2007, got the job full time at the end of 2007. Connolly walked out mid 2007 when the dockers were 6 wins and 9 losses. Harvey took over the last 7 goames, got us 4 wins and 3 losses. Mark Harvey was sacked at the end of 2011. So thats 4 and a half years there.

Ross Lyon lasted 8 seasons from 2012-19.

Justin Longmuir has been out coach since the 2nd of 2019, he has been out coach since 2020. So 2024 is his 5th season.

Its crazy that 1999-2019 stint. Drum was our worst coach and he only lasted 2 and half seasons. Ross Lyon is our best ever coach and he lasted 8 years. So thats 10 and a half years between them 2 blokes.

Then we had 2002-2011. Connolly lasted 5 and half seasons, Harvey lasted 4 and half seasons. So 10 years with them 2 blokes as well.
I wonder how that compares with other clubs? I think the successful clubs will have much longer tenured coaches and less successful will be similar to us.

We would have to have an abysmal season for JL to lose his job.

The club are very aware of the age and experience of the playing group, and will judge Longmuir accordingly. That is to say, he will have significant leeway and won’t be judged purely based on results.

His time in the role has completely coincided with a complete rebuild, therefore measuring his time in the chair isn’t the same as for example when Ross took over from Harvey, Buckley taking over Collingwood etc.

I’ll be interested to see how the game plan looks next year, and what lessons have been taken from 2023. I think it will be tweaks more than any type of revolution.

The club are very aware of the age and experience of the playing group, and will judge Longmuir accordingly. That is to say, he will have significant leeway and won’t be judged purely based on results.

His time in the role has completely coincided with a complete rebuild, therefore measuring his time in the chair isn’t the same as for example when Ross took over from Harvey, Buckley taking over Collingwood etc.

I’ll be interested to see how the game plan looks next year, and what lessons have been taken from 2023. I think it will be tweaks more than any type of revolution.
From his end of year presser, it sounds like we are going to spend most of the preseason focusing on our contested game, which hopefully will result in us taking the game on more and trusting in teammates further forward to win those contests, instead of looking for the perfect option ever time and thus slowing down the transition. This sounds very similar to the Collingwood game plan where they back each other to win the 1:1s and just keep moving forward.

I can't see how it's possibly fair to play Brisbane after they have already played and found their touch while Freo will be rusty.

This round zero bullshit is another AFL * up
Not to mention the second bye the big 4 Vic clubs and northern teams will receive. At least the SA teams get Gather Round. We get nothing but a dry humping from the AFL as usual.
I don’t like to wish injury on any player because they don’t control the fixture but if there’s any natural justice Brisbane will get banged up and cop an injury or two in round 0 before getting on a plane to play us.

Not to mention the second bye the big 4 Vic clubs and northern teams will receive. At least the SA teams get Gather Round. We get nothing but a dry humping from the AFL as usual.
I don’t like to wish injury on any player because they don’t control the fixture but if there’s any natural justice Brisbane will get banged up and cop an injury or two in round 0 before getting on a plane to play us.

The big Vic teams and the northern teams being successful is exactly what the AFL wants.

No idea why South Australia is seemingly the pick for Gather Round but we’re delusional if we think we’re getting anything from the AFL. Fremantle and West Coast are exactly where the AFL want them atm - unsuccessful on field but successful enough off field that the AFL don’t need to give a **** about them.

Most teams who go 0-2 doesn't make finals.

North Melbourne is a must win game.
0-2 or even 2-0 is not statistically meaningful in a 23 game season.
You are making stuff up.
Sample size too small and too many variables.
For instance ...beaten by a kick against two top teams would be one thing...
Savaged by, say, Kangas and the Eagles, that would be disappointing and cause for concern.
Lets agree to call North Melbourne a must win game though.
Time for a red hot crack!
YOKAI!

You are making stuff up.
Savaged by, say, Kangas and the Eagles, that would be disappointing and cause for concern.
YOKAI!
I agree with your enthusiasm.
I suspect the 0/2 vs 2/0 is statistically meaningful and the stats exist - I just don't know how to get them. I feel confident that statistically the majority of teams would miss the 8 from 0/2.
But you don't need stats to know that virtually every season 8 points is definitely the difference between in and out of the 8, I would guess it is often up to 4 places on the ladder.

The big Vic teams and the northern teams being successful is exactly what the AFL wants.

No idea why South Australia is seemingly the pick for Gather Round but we’re delusional if we think we’re getting anything from the AFL. Fremantle and West Coast are exactly where the AFL want them atm - unsuccessful on field but successful enough off field that the AFL don’t need to give a **** about them.
Not been a truer word spoken on big footy this year than this comment.
No doubt about it.
The AFL dreams of Fremantle finishing somehere from 10th to 14th every single season for the rest of time. The perfect scenario for the suits at AFL house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me personally? Finals, plain and simple.

I don't care if it's 8th spot and get belted in an elimination final by 60-90 points or 10-15 goals.
With the list that we have there's no real excuse for us to not make finals, we have the players there, we just need the on field performances and consistency.

So what do we think? What's the pass mark for Longmuir this season?
In simple terms - finals.
Could maybe accept a season like Adelaide had this year where they clearly progressed and were very unlucky to miss out and in contention to the end.

A repeat of the Fremantle 2023 season however and he’s gone gone gone

In simple terms - finals.
Could maybe accept a season like Adelaide had this year where they clearly progressed and were very unlucky to miss out and in contention to the end.

A repeat of the Fremantle 2023 season however and he’s gone gone gone

A big issue here might that it’s the last year of his contract. Admittedly I haven’t exactly done the research recently but off the top of my head I cannot remember a coach being given a one year contract extension.

Two years would be a reasonably big commitment to a coach who would’ve coached us five years and has had four poor seasons (assuming 2024 goes bad).

If we’re in the top eight mid season it’s probably a no-brainer tbh but basically making a call between sacking JL a and committing to him until 2026 is a big call for the club imo.

Personally for me it’s not just about results for us next year unless the results are really bad. This list should not finish bottom six but it is a young inexperienced list.

I could accept a finish a little bit higher (i.e. just missing the eight) if it looks like we’re developing a style of football that’ll win us games. Outside of about a month of last season it didn’t look to be the case. The slow sh**e we ran with most of last season not only doesn’t suit our list but also doesn’t suit what our list management has build our list towards. It almost like our list management team wants us playing one way but JL wants to play it his way.

With the advantages other teams get we will never win a flag off talent alone - the game plan will have to suit maximising the talent we do have or we might as well give up the idea of winning a flag ever. I’m not convinced JL can change his game plan to suit our list.

My prediction is that he’s sacked around the middle of the season and we have a big bounce in 2025.

You are making stuff up.
YOKAI!
When I heard the stat I had the same reaction.

Last seaso three teams made finals from 0-2 but the previous 20 odd years only one team Made finals.

Maybe, a 23 game season might change finals.

I understand what you are saying, but to me Longmuir had a poor year as a coach. He failed to establish a winning game plan and he failed to enhance the strengths of the playing group. He dithered when he could have delivered.

A classic example was the decision to move Young into the midfield. Blind Freddy saw it was a good idea. But Longmuir didn't until the season was dead and buried.

And a second example is that we have fundamental issues forward of centre. Yes Amiss is exciting, but almost everything else about our forward half work is unconvincing. You would need to put a bit of work in to convince me we were better than the year before despite is apparently being a focus.

I can accept a limitation on expectations because the playing group is young. But Longmuir needs to be a better coach next year.

I could accept a finish a little bit higher (i.e. just missing the eight) if it looks like we’re developing a style of football that’ll win us games. Outside of about a month of last season it didn’t look to be the case. The slow sh**e we ran with most of last season not only doesn’t suit our list but also doesn’t suit what our list management has build our list towards. It almost like our list management team wants us playing one way but JL wants to play it his way.
I agree with your comments that there was a disconnect between our list traits and game style. To me it looked like a coaching blunder, and seemed at odds with how the game plan appeared headed in the preseason.

I understand what you are saying, but to me Longmuir had a poor year as a coach. He failed to establish a winning game plan and he failed to enhance the strengths of the playing group. He dithered when he could have delivered.

A classic example was the decision to move Young into the midfield. Blind Freddy saw it was a good idea. But Longmuir didn't until the season was dead and buried.

And a second example is that we have fundamental issues forward of centre. Yes Amiss is exciting, but almost everything else about our forward half work is unconvincing. You would need to put a bit of work in to convince me we were better than the year before despite is apparently being a focus.

I can accept a limitation on expectations because the playing group is young. But Longmuir needs to be a better coach next year.
How did we ever lose to North in round 2, Clarkson just outcoached him

I wonder how that compares with other clubs? I think the successful clubs will have much longer tenured coaches and less successful will be similar to us.
Interesting point. Im am not going to go through all clubs....

But Just looking at some clubs for example... But I will mainly focus on Eagles, Crows and Port as Like Freo are sides from a mad and passionate Aussie rules area and all 3 are non victorian and sides we should aim to be as good as them finals wise and flag wise.

Richmond were very violatile when it came to coaching. Richmond won the 1980 flag with Tony Jewell as coach. Tigers sacked him in 1981 for not making finals. They hired club legend Francis Bourke in the end of 1981. Tigers made a grand final in 1982 and lost to carlton. Then Richmond had that barren run from 1983-2012 only making finals only in 1995 and 2001.

West coast has always had stability despite struggles in the early years. Had Ron Alexander in 1987 he was sacked after one year. John Todd was there in 1988 and 1989. got them finals in 1988 was sacked after 1989 with a 7 win season. Eagles then got Ex Bulldogs coach in Mick Malthouse and he was there from 1990-99. Ken Judge took over for 2 years in 2000-01. Then John Worsfold had his eagles coaching era from 2002 until 2013. Then they have had their current coach in Adam Simpson from 2014 onwards.

The South Australian sides have had good stability despite only 3 flags between them since the 1990s.

Crows: Had Graham Cornes from 1991-94. Previous coaching Job was Glenelg from 1985-90. Crows 1st 2 captains were chris McDermott and Tony McGuiness. Both blokes came from Glenelg in the SANFL and have been coached under Cornes too. They made a prelim final in 1993. Cornes was sacked in 1994 for not making finals.

Robert Shaw was crows coach in 1995-6. was sacked after not making finals in those 2 years.

The crows brought in Malcolm Blight at the end of 1996. He coached the crows in 1997-9. Got the crows 2 flags in 1997-8.

Gary Ayres was crows coach in 2000 until mid 2004. Ayres got the crows to finals in 2001-3. 2002 was their best chance of a flag as they made a prelim final.

Neil Craig Becomes interim coach from mid to late 2004. gets the full time Job in 2005. Crows made final in 2005-9. 2005-6 were their best chances of a flag under neil craig. Both years of prelims. But 2006 was their golden chance. Choked a home prelim final to west coast of all sides. Had the crows won that prelim final vs west coast, Crows would of likely won the grand final vs the swans. 2007-9 were 3 elim finals. 2010 and 2011, crows dont make finals and Neil Craig is sacked or quits the job.

2012, Crows get Brenton Sanderson they make a prelim in 2012. Miss out on finals in 2013-4 and Sando pays a price.

2015 Crows hire Phil Walsh. We sadly know why Phil Walsh only lasted 10 or 11 games into the season. Scott Camporeale takes over and crows win an elim final vs the dogs in 2015 and lose to the hawks the next week.

Crows then get Don Pyke. Makes finals in 2016-7, including the grand final in 2017. Doesnt make finals in 2018-9. Pyke gets sacked for not making finals for 2 seasons in a row like Neil craig and Brenton sanderson previously.

Crows hire their current coach in Matthew Nicks in 2020, he is still crows coach as we enter 2024.

Port is an Interesting one.....

John Cahill was Port Adelaide Powers 1st coach. A Port Adelaide Magpies Legend. Previous Coaching stints Was Collingwood in 1983-4, West Adelaide in 1985-7 and Port Magpies in 1988-96. He was the powers 1st coach in 1997-8.

Mark Choco Williams was Ports 2nd coach from 1999-2010. Made finals in 1999, dropped to bottom 4 in 2000. Made finals in 2001-5 in which they got a flag in 2004. Missed out on finals in 2006. Was out of contract at the end of 2007, made a grand final, Choco got a 2 year extension until 2009. Port missed out on finals in 2008-9. Choco got a 2 year extension until 2011. However Port was losing 2-3 million a year So Choco Williams accepted a pay cut from being paid $500,000 a year in 2008-9 to $250,000 a year in 2010 and 2011. He only lasted 15 games into 2010. He was either pushed or had to walk.

then Primus took over mid 2010, got 4 wins. he was given a 2 year deal in 2011-12. Port had a 3 win and 19 loss season including that infamous loss to Gold coast suns, which was the suns 1st ever win in the AFL. Primus last game as Port coach was that infamous loss to GWS. Port board decided not to renew Primus coaching contract. Eddie Hocking takes over the last 4 games of the season.

Then Port hires their current coach at the end of 2012: Ken Hinkley. I dont need to go and ask Port fans opinions about him.

How did we ever lose to North in round 2, Clarkson just outcoached him

He outcoached himself if that’s possible imo.

Sh**e game plan that didn’t suit the team at all. People forget we kicked the last three goals of that game - once we took the game on because we had no choice we outplayed North Melbourne completely.

The odd performance like that along with missing finals should see Longmuir sacked. If it’s obvious that’s how it’s tracking I’d genuinely support doing it before the bye. Enough is enough.

Unfortunately pro sport is brutally ruthless and quite frankly - we need one of the best coaches of all time in our corner to even have a chance of winning a flag. Most other sides have competitive advantages that outweigh ours. Over a long period of time regression to the mean dictates that we are not going to build an outlier list that is so much more talented than everyone else that even mark neeld or Damian Drums grannies would win a flag with them.
That’s not going to happen, despite how good David walls has been.
We need an outstanding coach to win the flag. Someone who is constantly ahead or the game and the rest of the comp. Just being good as a coach, probably isn’t good enough.
Being less than good is clearly not going to do the job.
These people who say JL gets a free pass in 2024 because we are “young” are overlooking the fact that if he’s just a 7/10 coach, that still won’t do when the players are old enough and ready.

Unfortunately pro sport is brutally ruthless and quite frankly - we need one of the best coaches of all time in our corner to even have a chance of winning a flag. Most other sides have competitive advantages that outweigh ours. Over a long period of time regression to the mean dictates that we are not going to build an outlier list that is so much more talented than everyone else that even mark neeld or Damian Drums grannies would win a flag with them.
That’s not going to happen, despite how good David walls has been.
We need an outstanding coach to win the flag. Someone who is constantly ahead or the game and the rest of the comp. Just being good as a coach, probably isn’t good enough.
Being less than good is clearly not going to do the job.
These people who say JL gets a free pass in 2024 because we are “young” are overlooking the fact that if he’s just a 7/10 coach, that still won’t do when the players are old enough and ready.

If I’m honest I agree with most of this but based on 2022 he’s more like a 2/10 than 7/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back