Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Scott comes to mind.

Already been here as an assistant and may need a sea change.
We'll, that would be a dream come true.

He can write his own contract and virtually every club looking for a coach. And he doesn't have the same financial predicament Lyon was facing.

If Longmuir falters I would consider Carr. He's an experienced rookie.

We'll, that would be a dream come true.

He can write his own contract and virtually every club looking for a coach. And he doesn't have the same financial predicament Lyon was facing.

If Longmuir falters I would consider Carr. He's an experienced rookie.

Not sure how much this means but when Longmuir was out with Covid in 2022, Freo chose Jaymie Graham rather than Josh Carr to replace him short term.

I think Graham is already the no.2 man at Freo. Carr very much left us to become that somewhere else - the fact Hinkley’s position wasn’t looking solid before the 2023 season started was a bonus. The fact Carr is pretty much a South Australian these days probably helped Port get him across.

I don’t think Graham (or Carr) would be too far if we were to hire another coach but it’d likely be a nation wide search. If either were hired I’d hope we bring in some external Assistants to help out.

Not sure how much this means but when Longmuir was out with Covid in 2022, Freo chose Jaymie Graham rather than Josh Carr to replace him short term.

I think Graham is already the no.2 man at Freo. Carr very much left us to become that somewhere else - the fact Hinkley’s position wasn’t looking solid before the 2023 season started was a bonus. The fact Carr is pretty much a South Australian these days probably helped Port get him across.

I don’t think Graham (or Carr) would be too far if we were to hire another coach but it’d likely be a nation wide search. If either were hired I’d hope we bring in some external Assistants to help out.
Both have experience at other clubs, but I like that Carr is coming from outside the club. He would be coming if a look at the top job at Port was not likely to become available.

And I really can't look at our forward lines performance and see that Grayham has put anything compelling together. Assuming he'd be replacing Longmuir with a failed 2024 it's likely the forward line would again be disappointing.

But for sure there would be other contenders.

Both have experience at other clubs, but I like that Carr is coming from outside the club. He would be coming if a look at the top job at Port was not likely to become available.

And I really can't look at our forward lines performance and see that Grayham has put anything compelling together. Assuming he'd be replacing Longmuir with a failed 2024 it's likely the forward line would again be disappointing.

But for sure there would be other contenders.

Actually think our forward line has done okay considering the lack of resources (in terms of draft picks) invested in it.

The midfield looked deplorable at times when Carr was at the club despite it consisting of almost all first rounders.

When they were both at the club Graham was rated higher than Carr. It might’ve been quite close but that’s how it was just twelve months ago.

People on here will always think Carr is better because he was a better footballer. I couldn’t care less. There’s no evidence Carr is anything but in a group of about 10-12 guys throughout the country that might be senior coaches in the medium term future - a group that Graham is quite clearly in himself. Peter Sumich was once considered in this sort of group but it never happened - it could mean nothing.

Throw the kitchen sink at Scott.
Back To The Future Reaction GIF by Cameo

Agree get Scott as the one thing we have never had is an AFL premiership coach (boat has sailed on Hardwick and Clarkson)
There’s an AFL premiership coach down the road about to be unemployed, should we go after him as well? Scott had 10 years between his premierships does that mean his next one is 9 years away?

Actually think our forward line has done okay considering the lack of resources (in terms of draft picks) invested in it.

The midfield looked deplorable at times when Carr was at the club despite it consisting of almost all first rounders.

When they were both at the club Graham was rated higher than Carr. It might’ve been quite close but that’s how it was just twelve months ago.

People on here will always think Carr is better because he was a better footballer. I couldn’t care less. There’s no evidence Carr is anything but in a group of about 10-12 guys throughout the country that might be senior coaches in the medium term future - a group that Graham is quite clearly in himself. Peter Sumich was once considered in this sort of group but it never happened - it could mean nothing.
I agree how someone was as a footballer is irrelevant, but you are way over-rating Graham. He's just another contender, same as Carr. Like any rookie he may turn out ok, but also like any rookie, the odds are against it.

There’s an AFL premiership coach down the road about to be unemployed, should we go after him as well? Scott had 10 years between his premierships does that mean his next one is 9 years away?
He has coached well every year, but winning a couple of premierships in that span of time is an excellent hit rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said many times. JL is an uninspiring potato. With him at the helm we’re a massive risk of destroying the work we’ve done to build our list. He’s too “safe”. Part of the ol freo boys club with Bell.

As I said ages ago we need Chris Scott. A man who ruthlessly defends his pack, is charismatic, can talk in public, can inspire, can coach. List is perfect age for a proper, experienced coach like him to deliver success. Best part is he’s spent time at Freo before. ballas loved him, so do I.

Has there ever been any actual evidence of the whole “boys club” thing or is it just people frustrated with our current direction trying to connect some dots. Because most clubs at some point have ex players in positions of power. It’s just new for us because we haven’t been around that long

As for replacing JL, we’re jumping the gun by a long way. We would need to both have a bad season and have a genuinely talented senior coach (C Scott etc) actively want to come to us for it to be a viable option.

I think it’s far more likely that we have a decent 10-12 win season that keeps us in the mix for finals with a new 2 year deal (with trigger for third) for the coach. I couldn’t care less about charisma when talking to the media as long as the coach sticks up for the players and delivers the message. Success, especially for coaches is almost always done in hindsight. Wasn’t around this place before 2017 but I bet a lot of folks site wide didn’t rate Hardwick.

I agree how someone was as a footballer is irrelevant, but you are way over-rating Graham. He's just another contender, same as Carr. Like any rookie he may turn out ok, but also like any rookie, the odds are against it.

My point was supposed to be that there’s no evidence Carr is ahead of Graham for a senior coaching position. Both are basically second in command at their club. We poached Graham for the same reason Port Adelaide poached Carr btw, unless you believe that Carr was supposed to replace Hinkley.

Graham doesn’t coach both West Coast and Freo in the absence of Simpson and Longmuir if he isn’t the no.2 man and highly rated at both clubs. Carr was at Freo when Graham was chosen ahead of him to coach two games in Longmuir’s absence - that was only last year.

Very low sample size to the point where it’s basically irrelevant information but he’s won every game he’s coached.

Last edited:
It appears there is close to a genuine 50:50 split between people who think JL is going to be a premiership coach and people who think he’s a dud.

I’m in between at present, but I believe the evidence of the first 4 years indicated there’s a stronger chance he’s a dud than he’s a future premiership coach.

I still can’t get over the throwaway comment he made about the move Hayden Young to the midfield with around 6 games left last year when the season was effectively over. It was on that awkward 2 min segment he does with Ryan Daniels each monday on Seven.
It was something along the lines of
“Matty Boyd, Hayden’s line coach and been banging on about giving him a run through the midfield for ages”
I can’t remember the exact quote but it came across that JL himself had been blocking this move for quite some time, around the same point from rounds 11-18 where our midfield was one of the worst in the comp for those weeks, a genuine bottom 4 outfit.
It’s just one example but it was the exact opposite of bold, daring, high risk/high reward coaching.

This kind of thing has nothing to do with the age profile of our list or anything like that. It’s just reactionary and cautious coaching.

To those touting getting a previously experienced senior coach merely on principle, I think it is worth pointing out that statistically speaking since the beginning of the AFL in 1990, there have only been four coaches who had previously coached at another club (as senior coach) that have taken a team to a premiership; those are Leigh Matthews, David Parkin, Malcolm Blight and Mick Malthouse.

Thats not to say that experienced coaches haven't sometimes been there to assist in elevating clubs, but it is certainly not a panacea in the modern age, and it also shows that there should be no fear in selecting an "uncapped" senior coach with the "right abilities and qualities", because they make up more than 85% of premiership winners.

To those touting getting a previously experienced senior coach merely on principle, I think it is worth pointing out that statistically speaking since the beginning of the AFL in 1990, there have only been four coaches who had previously coached at another club (as senior coach) that have taken a team to a premiership; those are Leigh Matthews, David Parkin, Malcolm Blight and Mick Malthouse.

Thats not to say that experienced coaches haven't sometimes been there to assist in elevating clubs, but it is certainly not a panacea in the modern age, and it also shows that there should be no fear in selecting an "uncapped" senior coach with the "right abilities and qualities", because they make up more than 85% of premiership winners.

Well said

It's also obvious that the competition isn't balanced and fair. The competition has a lot more teams these days and will continue to expand.

All things must line up for Freo to win a premiership not just having the best coach. Even with the best coach Freo probably won't win because of all the other variables that occur.

Well said

It's also obvious that the competition isn't balanced and fair. The competition has a lot more teams these days and will continue to expand.

All things must line up for Freo to win a premiership not just having the best coach. Even with the best coach Freo probably won't win because of all the other variables that occur.
Best coaching team is another story. Pies had 2 former AFL coaches in their
corner.
We have something to learn if we think our dept is even close to best standards.
Then you look at our physicality, growth of players, and because of youth some
are just expecting it to happen?
To be the best requires belief and I just don’t know if that is in our DNA?
First thing Ross developed was his mantras, we need to add this with the level
of talent now available.
The 2023 game plan? We looked slow and soft, and that’s on the coach.

I say Scott if we fail in 2024. A fail is not winning a final. If we scrape into finals and get flogged I would still be calling Scott.

I think we need three high credentialed assistant coaches as well.

I do have the feeling that Graham will be very close to the West Coast coaching position if it were to become available.

For some reason I can’t see Josh Carr coaching West Coast (or Adelaide). Unless Port nosedive next year I can see him being in the mix to coach any Victorian side that may need a coach end of 2024/2025 though.

It’d be a disaster to lose Graham and not replace him with a very good assistant coach having lost Carr in 2022. Even if it is JL coaching in 2025 he needs a very good no.2 man imo.

Also think that some of our development coaches have been around a while and may not have been promoted for a reason. Maybe a few recently retired Freo/West Coast or ex-WA boys or others might be interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back