Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club should of seen him as the
Successor to Harvey.
Instead they let him go with their blessing.
In just one year of leaving Freo, Mark was gone and the other a premiership coach.
That’s talent identification.

I think that's a very unrealistic expectation. You can't just stockpile assistants and deny them head role offers on the basis that you rate them and might want them for yourself one day in the future.

No assistant is going to hang around after they've been offered a head role unless you either promote them instantly or organise an official succession plan for the end of the next year. We were hardly going to do either of those after we had just made the finals and won one under Harvey that year.

The club should of seen him as the
Successor to Harvey.
Instead they let him go with their blessing.
In just one year of leaving Freo, Mark was gone and the other a premiership coach.
That’s talent identification.
Or Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

I think that's a very unrealistic expectation. You can't just stockpile assistants and deny them head role offers on the basis that you rate them and might want them for yourself one day in the future.

No assistant is going to hang around after they've been offered a head role unless you either promote them instantly or organise an official succession plan for the end of the next year. We were hardly going to do either of those after we had just made the finals and won one under Harvey that year.
You say that but in 2011 Pavlich went to town on Harvey.
Players weren’t happy and he had lost the group.
Our rise was due to the work put in by Scott, I liked Mark but he wasn’t
the mastermind or master coach.
I feel the same way about Simpson and have said it on here several times
Mitchell was always the difference.
The club were happy to have Chris leave, yet in nine months time there was
a coup.

Youth cannot be blamed for our performances, Arsenal had the equal youngest team in the Premier League and nearly pulled off the impossible by challenging Manchester City for the title. That is the effect of good coaching. Our young players are clearly talented but the coaching and game plan is not working.

Why get Jaegar then? Wagner as a mature ager. Tabs picked over Amiss early in the year.

They are in damage control and changing the narrative. Only a fool can’t see that.
Any thought that our "football management " is the real root of the problem IE Peter Bell, not sure he is the saviour that we thought as a lot of poor decisions made over the past five years

You say that but in 2011 Pavlich went to town on Harvey.
Players weren’t happy and he had lost the group.
Our rise was due to the work put in by Scott, I liked Mark but he wasn’t
the mastermind or master coach.
I feel the same way about Simpson and have said it on here several times
Mitchell was always the difference.
The club were happy to have Chris leave, yet in nine months time there was
a coup.
That’s why we strike while the iron is hot. Talk to Dimma and especially Scott as he’s lived here before.

Vanilla wet toast isn’t senior coach material.

We are in year 3-4 of the rebuild, it started when Lyon and Rosich were axed. Until then we were trading in Marquee players like Hogan and Lobb to push our existing list back into contention.
Neale leaving should have been the sign that we needed to sink capital into the draft, instead we blew that capital on Hogan and Lobb and only drafted Sturt. Once Brad Hill left they decided to attack the draft heavily, until then it had only been Bradshaw, Cerra, Logue and Sturt as first round picks. Young, Serong and Henry is the start of our rebuild in earnest, followed by Chappy and NOD, then Amiss, Erasmus and Johnson.
Bringing in Jackson and Clark means we have 12 players in a similar age bracket who are all 1st or second round picks that can grow together to form the nucleus of our push into contention.
Good points, but someone really needs to tell the club that. They think we're on the path to a premiership in two years. Or were. And now we're rebuilding, or we're not. Maybe we're just crap when we should be good. Or last year we were good when we should've been crap.

Youth cannot be blamed for our performances, Arsenal had the equal youngest team in the Premier League and nearly pulled off the impossible by challenging Manchester City for the title. That is the effect of good coaching. Our young players are clearly talented but the coaching and game plan is not working.

Bit of a difference between the physical demands of the two sports. AFL is brutal, while soccer is very soft. AFL players run further and with full body contact. Most soccer players would last about 30 seconds in an AFL game before they call for an ambulance. And even if they are the youngest in the Premier league, the average age of the Arsenal squad would still be a couple of years older than Freo's squad. Our coaching is shit, but the youth card is still a very real factor.

I been telling anyone who’ll listen in the real world & sometimes on here that our preseason was bruise free & accounted for our crap start to the season & our patchy form. Our scratch match form & intensity was arrogant & it was ringing massive alarm bells at the time.
I get the feeling this was a plan hatched by management, coaches & the S&C dept to try to reduce injuries during the preseason & hope the players were fresher for longer during the season. It worked in one way, but we’re soft & we started well behind other teams, contending or not & have tried to play catch up footy.
If we lose a couple during preseason, so be it. That’s what a squad is for.

If garlick is all about we are the second youngest team in the comp, how does that sit with winning the flag by 2025?
Seems like he’s just shifting the goalposts. Melbourne are now looking at pick 4, pick 15 and pick 24 for Luke jackson and pick 42. That’s Chris Judd territory in trade price. One of the most expensive players in AFL trading history. The new target should be 11 wins.
Beat WCE, hawthorn, Sydney and one other team.

If for no other reason than the avoidance of ridicule by everyone for the next 20 years, JL needs to win a few games and get us up to 11th or 12th place and at least preserve some pride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If garlick is all about we are the second youngest team in the comp, how does that sit with winning the flag by 2025?
Seems like he’s just shifting the goalposts. Melbourne are now looking at pick 4, pick 15 and pick 24 for Luke jackson and pick 42. That’s Chris Judd territory in trade price. One of the most expensive players in AFL trading history. The new target should be 11 wins.
Beat WCE, hawthorn, Sydney and one other team.

If for no other reason than the avoidance of ridicule by everyone for the next 20 years, JL needs to win a few games and get us up to 11th or 12th place and at least preserve some pride.

Also to show the players we aren’t rubbish. We should be aiming to get as close to Collingwood as we can. Hence I don’t understand how Walker maintains his spot. 3 possessions for a HBF is atrocious.

Also to show the players we aren’t rubbish. We should be aiming to get as close to Collingwood as we can. Hence I don’t understand how Walker maintains his spot. 3 possessions for a HBF is atrocious.
Walker kept his spot so he can overcome his fears of Collingwood at the MCG. Bro was scared last time he played them, don't know why, but he needs to overcome it. He can be dropped next week.

the reason I like them on the wing is Longmuir seems incapable of getting them to play the running backman role that guys like Saad plays
JLos inability to get any semblance of run or attack from half back is ridiculous.

Clark and young are never fed the ball in positions where they can take the game on. Chapman when fit has been reduced to a Swiss army knife general defender.

In theory cox Ryan young Clark are all meant to be good/great kicks. Clark and Walker are genuine speedsters. Chapman was noted for winning the ball back and immediately attacking predraft. With all those pieces we are somehow reduced to long hoofs down the line. We can't win when we don't win the clearances because we can't move the bloody ball from the back half.

It's very unfreo. We mightn't have the greatest winning record in our history but we've normally had some dash across half back.

Walker kept his spot so he can overcome his fears of Collingwood at the MCG. Bro was scared last time he played them, don't know why, but he needs to overcome it. He can be dropped next week.

Was he scared against Carlton or Westwrn Bulldogs? He’s playing quite poorly for the best part of 5-6 weeks now. It’s time he was dropped.

Was he scared against Carlton or Westwrn Bulldogs? He’s playing quite poorly for the best part of 5-6 weeks now. It’s time he was dropped.
I agree.What must the likes of Wilson be thinking when you see what Walker dishes up keep getting rewarded. 2 of his 3 disposals went out on the full and straight to an opposition player inside the 50.

JLos inability to get any semblance of run or attack from half back is ridiculous.

Clark and young are never fed the ball in positions where they can take the game on. Chapman when fit has been reduced to a Swiss army knife general defender.

In theory cox Ryan young Clark are all meant to be good/great kicks. Clark and Walker are genuine speedsters. Chapman was noted for winning the ball back and immediately attacking predraft. With all those pieces we are somehow reduced to long hoofs down the line. We can't win when we don't win the clearances because we can't move the bloody ball from the back half.

It's very unfreo. We mightn't have the greatest winning record in our history but we've normally had some dash across half back.
There should be two layers to the game plan, win the ball at at the contest and if you lose the contest than prepare for the rebound and attack aggressively through the corridor.

I been telling anyone who’ll listen in the real world & sometimes on here that our preseason was bruise free & accounted for our crap start to the season & our patchy form. Our scratch match form & intensity was arrogant & it was ringing massive alarm bells at the time.
I get the feeling this was a plan hatched by management, coaches & the S&C dept to try to reduce injuries during the preseason & hope the players were fresher for longer during the season. It worked in one way, but we’re soft & we started well behind other teams, contending or not & have tried to play catch up footy.
If we lose a couple during preseason, so be it. That’s what a squad is for.
Im on board with this theory and would add that it may explain the lack of contact and tackle pressure the first few games .
Injury management almost became part of the game plan but backfired spectacularly losing to a spud team like NM and it then regressed from there .
I guess this highlights the fact that true AFL is “go hard or go home “ , if there are injuries as a consequence then the depth needs to be there and the coach needs to be able to get the best out of them despite their limitations.

Last edited:
This is the least apples for apples comparison I've seen in a while. Totally different sports with vastly different list management rules and mechanics.

As always when someone gets the axe, I'd look to see if they fancy a move West. Doubt very much Dew would do it, but I rate his ability to work a midfield group and be a decent devil's advocate to Longmuir. Again, very much doubt he'd make the move, though the Gold Coast and here wouldn't be too dissimilar I guess. They'll be busting a gut to get him on FC with Caro I bet.

I think we spend an offseason actually getting fit (* off those match sims, as much as I'll miss our excellent reports) and we'll be ok next year. Still need that big bodied mid, hoping to god it's Johnno and Erasmus.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
How about we also spend the offseason practicing options for kicking out of full back to transition the ball to our forward line at speed rather than the kick ins from Ryan we have been doing the last 2 years.

Couldn't believe when he said 'we're not going to catastrophise this performance' before going on to reference us beating Essendon and leading the Bulldogs in the last quarter.

Since the bye,

15 point loss v Richmond (H)
70 point loss v GWS (A)

32 point win v Essendon (H)
29 point loss v WB (A)
53 point loss v Carlton (H)

For a team that was in the finals race and with no first round draft pick, that looks a lot like a catastrophe to me.

And now we have injuries to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back