Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a statement from management ahead of the next season saying what a pass mark is. If that mark isn’t met, Longmuir needs to go.
I don’t know why clubs bother with that. It’s not your average corporate environment that has financial kpi and needs to maximise profits to make shareholders happy even though you can technically make parallels between those two.
The aim of a footy club is to win the premiership, it’s simple. I don’t give a flying **** if we somehow sneak into the finals playing a crap brand of footy that has no chance of standing up in the finals and just end up making up the numbers. But that might be a “passmark” for some. Not for me though, I would rather see us miss out on the finals in 2024 if we have to but clearly making a shift to an attacking brand that is more likely to bring us a sustained success in the long run. And that’s my major question mark on JL. Does he have it in him? We shall see, I guess

What logical reason would two established premiership coaches have to leave stable clubs like Geelong and Sydney for us? Even if they wanted a change of scenery, there'd be half a dozen clubs lining up for them who would likely be more attractive options.

It takes more than just asking them.
Being the first premiership coach for any club would be a massive carrot. There are currently 3 opportunities to achieve that, and Hardwick and Kingsley are not going anywhere soon. Any coach would love our core list in 2 years’ time and any half decent one would be liking their chances IMO.

I want a statement from management ahead of the next season saying what a pass mark is. If that mark isn’t met, Longmuir needs to go.
That’s ridiculous, in what possible way is that going to help drive success?

By all means have internal markers, but no one else needs to know what they are.

It's called patience and sticking to the plan, I know a lot of people can't get their head around that and think the strategic plan for 2025 was just a little media positive spin to make it look like were trying but all of our recent decisions have centered on that 2025 plan.
That is the plan in black and white, win a flag by 2025. I don't think there will be extension or decision on JLo's coaching future till mid 2025 when we see our way through the plan, execute it to the best of our ability and see where it has landed or going to land. Why else make a plan in the first place if you're just going to toss it out the window for any speedbump that comes our way?

Strong leadership dictates that we stick with the plan, and all the board and management will be held account to that plan if it succeeds or fails. Fyfe and Walters extensions are absolutely based on that plan, neither are going past the 2025 season and were giving it all we have to nab a flag for that window with them involved.

If it doesn't eventuate, then absolutely cya Bell and JLo and possibly Garlick/Board members. Had a crack, didn't work, unlucky and we try again with a very ready, mature side stacked with talent, and any coach with ambition will want this list of ours, but until then trying to change course from the plan will only cause more uncertainty to the players and less belief in the club.

It only takes one flag even if we're bottom 4 next year and there isn't a dockers fan alive who wouldn't take it, so stick to the plan and hold the club account to the timeline of said plan.

We have already made the targets public. Perhaps they need to be reset to manage expectations?
Indeed, the club said we’d be a serious finals contender. The fans should be updated as to what the situation is now. They said it before. Not saying so again because deep down they’d know JLO couldn’t meet that expectation is the definition of gutless. We should expect more and there should be accountability.

I think there is a very strong possibility that it’s almost impossible for freo to win the flag. Even the way the talent is divided across the teams does not favour us.
West coast are not much different to be honest. As Snuffaluphagus has pointed out on here, an almost freak draft choice in 2001 when they selected Chris Judd with pick 3 was responsible for the two flags they won this century. What happened in the early 90s when they were a one state monopoly is almost irrelevant.

They got the best 6 years of judds career out of him and a flag, then flicked him off for 15 years for a generational key forward in JK in 2007, without whom there would be no 2018 flag.
That pick 3 in 2001 was a priority pick - now that is something that will never ever be given to a WA club ever again.
Like I said, everything has to go right for freo. We don’t have the margin for error that other clubs have.
It’s not impossible to win the flag but it is incredibly hard. Right now we are miles off the pace. We have a talented young core yes, but there’s 4 or 5 competitors with similarly talented cores and more advantages from the AFL, including Gold Coast, the 2 Sydney clubs, north, and even Adelaide.
We are also up again at the heavy hand of history having been a historically unsuccessful club, something that sides like Adelaide and the hawks and the eagles don’t have to deal with.
I’ll never stop supporting and dreaming we can win the flag but it’s going to take some extraordinary luck and a long list of good decisions to be made at all
Levels of the club. Starting with next months draft. Once again we require Walls to be much much better than the AFL average success rate at this draft, just to keep pace with the concessions and advantages some of our competitors have.
Lucid exposition & sadly on the money, alas

And to deviate for a moment: anyone think that Fyfey has some coaching in him?

I recall his draftee story about when he was a junior footy hopeful at Aquinas, jotting down playing ideas in his notebook...

I wasn't that big on JL at the beginning but despite the mixed results I'm warming to his steadfastness of message, a recognisable plan (even if its not to everyones taste, both game and strategically). Above all though if you can outmanoeuvre Bell hats off.

Whatever you think of Bellys skills in business or footy departments, which, as a poster very reasonably posted yesterday I think, we can't really have proper insight into, he is demonstrated top draw whiteanter. So props to you Justin for coming out on top, can't have been easy.

All good going to US for a holiday but for personal development would rather see JLo spend some time locally with Tony Gustavsson. Tactical nous and the way he interacts with the media. Primo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the face of it the senior coach probably is not a relative advantage for us as presumably JLo isn't relatively highly paid.

However the staff relocations should be positive for us as an interstate team.
We should be gunning for quality mid and forwards coaches (with one a capable /logical successor to JL) now IMO. When I think of the natural high speed runners we have in the side (Clark, Walker, Fred, Swit) and the stagnant dross we served up from the very start of the year in the Aints game all the way through to that abhorrence against the Ballbaggers, it’s clear that JL doesn’t have a gameplan that will get us to a flag, and it appears there’s limited critical thought amongst his current Assistants as well. I’d love for us to look at some of the contenders for the Richmond gig and or (I know I’ve said it before) throw a swag of cash at Mark Williams to try and lure him across.

All good going to US for a holiday but for personal development would rather see JLo spend some time locally with Tony Gustavsson. Tactical nous and the way he interacts with the media. Primo.
Tactical nous and tony Gustavsson do not go together. He's basically JL in soccer.

I wasn't that big on JL at the beginning but despite the mixed results I'm warming to his steadfastness of message, a recognisable plan (even if its not to everyones taste, both game and strategically). Above all though if you can outmanoeuvre Bell hats off.

Whatever you think of Bellys skills in business or footy departments, which, as a poster very reasonably posted yesterday I think, we can't really have proper insight into, he is demonstrated top draw whiteanter. So props to you Justin for coming out on top, can't have been easy.
I just think that we can attribute the change to Bell‘s position at the club to a previous situation and relationship that just wasn’t working for either party.

We presume that Justin will be happier with the change and it may well be that Peter is also.

We should be gunning for quality mid and forwards coaches (with one a capable /logical successor to JL) now IMO. When I think of the natural high speed runners we have in the side (Clark, Walker, Fred, Swit) and the stagnant dross we served up from the very start of the year in the Aints game all the way through to that abhorrence against the Ballbaggers, it’s clear that JL doesn’t have a gameplan that will get us to a flag, and it appears there’s limited critical thought amongst his current Assistants as well. I’d love for us to look at some of the contenders for the Richmond gig and or (I know I’ve said it before) throw a swag of cash at Mark Williams to try and lure him across.
The soft salary cap hurt WC more than us IMO. Wont be long before they surpass
us in off field moves.
It’s already started with Pyke and a new S&C coach.
If JLo doesn’t implement a faster style, but also improves size, the knives will be
out after a Derby loss.
Guaranteed that bullying the WC boys will be over and the media will insinuate that
our rebuild is on the wrong path.
Glad to see that others are concerned, instead of blindly trusting the club.
It’s a major flaw in their thinking, and it’s going to turn into a mountain.

I just think that we can attribute the change to Bell‘s position at the club to a previous situation and relationship that just wasn’t working for either party.

We presume that Justin will be happier with the change and it may well be that Peter is also.
The irony isn‘t lost on me with Peter’s new title. Presumably his new duties include identifying a new senior coach should the occasion arise. 🙄

The irony isn‘t lost on me with Peter’s new title. Presumably his new duties include identifying a new senior coach should the occasion arise. 🙄
Given the fact that Peter and JL have had some major differences of opinion (if the rumours are to be believed) I don’t imagine JL would be too happy about that Fred.

We’re now moving to 10 year plans. One of the worst statements I’ve seen a club make before a season. They made a target of grand finals and when that deadline comes too close, and they know it won’t be made, Joe suddenly says they’re not dealing in 12 month windows - to escape accountability. If they back in JLO after this year no matter what it will be met with bemusement and disgust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back