K Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

Has actually had an outstanding season considering that he had a heavily interupted pre-season and didn't play his first game until round 8. He sits 8th in the league for average goals at 2.4 which would equate to 53 goals in a full season.

Not bad for someone that they traded nothing for and had ample room in their salary cap to accomodate. Smells like tall-poppy syndrome when people are knocking him.

For a guy who just doesn't look at all like a footballer... he is a very good player IMO - who might be judged too harshly because his contract was inflated by the free agent market.

At the end of the day - a few clubs would be better with him as their number 1 forward, and almost every club would love him as a 2nd KPF. (Hawthorn excepted, WCE arguable, and GWS for future potential... I can't really think of another)

That is why his free agent value was inflated, but as long as they can afford it - I don't see any reason that Sydney would regret getting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always rated Tippet highly, even at times when people have been bagging him about not providing enough for his team. His biggest issue has been that he has had a constant battle with injury over his career. However, this is to be expected to some extent, as he is a massive guy - over 105 Kg and over 200cm. Injury and fitness problems aside, when he actually plays, he is pretty damn good. His role in the team is NOT to be another Buddy Franklin - one of the best forwards in the comp, roaming up the ground with pace and agility. Tippet is one of those forwards that is happy to just stay inside the attacking 50, take marks and kick goals. He doesn't seem like the most elegant and natural footballer, but he can certainly have an impact.

$450k. Still too much for a guy who can't get a game but I think when they gave it to him they were expecting Goodesy to shuffle on to his next stage in life and Tom would start. Since then we've had a bunch of awesome youngsters come through.

Tippett needs to be viewed as part of the team, not an individual, and he works very well for us. Allows Pyke to have a break from the ruck too.

He's certainly good as a marking/goalkicking target, and as a ruckman. And even if he only kicks a couple, opposition sides have monumental headaches trying to keep four stars quiet - so he's valuable whichever way you look at it.

But tonight I was probably most impressed by his second and third efforts at ground level in the forward line, which I hadn't noticed before.

Yeah, I'd have him at North in a second.

Remove this Banner Ad

K Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back