K Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

A melbourne club could offer someone $500k/year.
Sydney could then come in with an offer of $480k/year.

A player and their manager would look that and see that the Sydney offer actually amounts to $528k. Why would a player accept the 500k offer, and why would Sydney increase their offer - when they know that the player will be receiving the extra?
Setting players contracts is an art not a science. There is no predefined amount a certain player is worth which agents can easily say "well XX player has done XX, so he should get $300k. Add in the COLA and they should be getting $330k".

The only way in which a player can see their worth on the market is by what other clubs offer. Now do you honestly believe that, if a club was to offer a Sydney player $300k, and Sydney sought to match it with money that included COLA, that player would turn around and say "well actually, you need to give me 10% more that what the other club offered, otherwise I'm leaving". Because players on $300k are really worried about the additional cost of living in Sydney?

You are extremely gullible if you believe that all the Sydney players are on 10% more than what they would be on at other clubs per what Ireland has been saying.
If the player's manager and the Swans have established they're both talking the same thing, why not?

It's all about how much cash you end up with at the end of the day. If the manager felt that the COLA can be used against the Swans as a bargaining tool, he'd be a fool not to use it.

But anyway, the COLA must be applied pro rata across the 44 players. $23K each. Whoopee. So all your hypotheticals are irrelevant, not that I even agree with them.

Anyway, I'm sick of this. Blaze away for all I care. I'm not responding further. Too much excitement in my life right now to be dealing with such prosaic subjects.

If the player's manager and the Swans have established they're both talking the same thing, why not?

It's all about how much cash you end up with at the end of the day. If the manager felt that the COLA can be used against the Swans as a bargaining tool, he'd be a fool not to use it.

But anyway, the COLA must be applied pro rata across the 44 players. $23K each. Whoopee. So all your hypotheticals are irrelevant, not that I even agree with them.

What the hell are you talking about... do you even know how the COLA works? It appears not.

The players are not given $23k each. They are given an additional 9.8% of whatever this contract is, paid for by the AFL. When Buddy is on $1m, $89k of this will be paid as COLA. Whereas rookies on $50k will only receive $4.5k of COLA.

Buddy is better high.

He sure is

638553-910efeb8-9a8d-11e3-ae2a-c06439f32ae2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, I'm sick of this. Blaze away for all I care. I'm not responding further. Too much excitement in my life right now to be dealing with such prosaic subjects.
We are sick of it too, should just give it away

Never rated him at the crows, still don't. Good player but deff not worth the coin he is on.

Played one genuinely very good game only imo.

2012 prelim v Hawks. And even in that game went missing after half time.

Done little before or since. Agree with your post 100%.

Many have crossover potential, a la Tippett.

That being said, the idea that someone like Tippett is a rare or special athlete only holds true in a footy sense though. Blokes of his height/weight/agility/coordination are dime a dozen in basketball.
and yet he would have the least coordination and agility of any player on the ground today.

Remove this Banner Ad

K Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back