Kai Lohmann - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have seen some debate on this board about how we didn’t do enough during the trade/FA period to improve our list whilst others have put forward the counter argument that we have enough natural improvement left in a number of players already in our best 22 or sitting just outside to take us to another level. These players include Payne, Dev, Rayner, Ashcroft, Starcevich, Bailey and Fletcher.

It may be a debate of its own but I think it would be fair to say the most talented player on our list currently outside our best 22 is Kai Lohmann. Selected with pick 20, he has played 8 games in his first two years with injury playing its part in preventing him from playing more. Some of these games have been as a sub. Entering his third season next year having re-signed after many expected him to leave, could he have a Starcevich level rise in his third season? Starc played just the 5 games in his first two years at the club before having a big pre season and becoming one of our rising stars in his 3rd year playing almost every game and has been best 22 since.

I am hoping Lohmann can emulate this next year in his own way. I believe Doedee and Ashcroft will add a fair bit in the second half of next season but Lohmann has the potential to be our “recruit of the year” next season if he can force his way into the best 22. I don’t think Lohmann is far off Bailey talent wise in that forward/mid role. They aren’t exactly identical players style wise but Lohmann has a similar amount of x-factor to his game in that forward/mid role.

If we can see Lohmann start to fulfil his potential from next year it just adds another freakishly talented and dangerous player to our forward/midfield mix and will make it even harder to shut us down.

If he can get slightly fitter and stronger and make his defensive pressure role a focus of his pre season to compliment his natural skill and footy ability we could have another young star to add to our young core.

What is everyone’s thoughts on what Lohmann could add next year all going well? I for one rate him talent wise amongst all our high draft picks of the Fagan era who have cemented themselves as best 22 quality(Clug, Rayner, Bailey, Starc, Kiddy, Wilmot, Ashcroft, Fletcher) and if he can start to produce from Round 1 next year I believe the scales start to really shift towards us being overloaded with an unbelievable amount of talented young footballers which gives us a very bright outlook even beyond the Neale, Daniher and Cameron prime years.

Has all the athletic gifts in the world.

Needs to work on his game sense and disposal by foot.

He’s not going to be playing a high possession position, so he really needs to work on his decision making and delivery.

I do want to see him take the game on, and back himself on occasions. Really looked like he was deferring to senior players and handing the ball off at times in a couple of his senior games.

It’s a good question. If he breaks into our best 22 and holds his spot it will be quite a rise. He has probably got his eye on Zorko’s position at the moment as I don’t see him forcing out Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, or Rayner. Zorko did finish the season pretty strongly however.

We have had a young player come through and secure his spot on merit nearly every year since our rise. Not just get games but actually become an integral part of our team. It is part of the reason we have been so strong.

2023 - Ashcroft/Fletcher/Payne
2022 - Wilmot
2021 - Coleman
2020 - Starcevich
2019 -
2018 - McInerney / Bailey

Lohmann and Tunstill possibly the most likely in 2024 unless one of our draftees surprise.

I think Kai is one pre season away from being a genuine best 22 player. Hasn't had one yet and has had to scrap his way to get senior games. Give him a pre season and I think we see a confident, comfortable player at AFL level.

Slightly off topic, but could very easily see Brain playing half back at AFL level in 2024 too.

Has all the athletic gifts in the world.

Needs to work on his game sense and disposal by foot.

He’s not going to be playing a high possession position, so he really needs to work on his decision making and delivery.

I do want to see him take the game on, and back himself on occasions. Really looked like he was deferring to senior players and handing the ball off at times in a couple of his senior games.
Could be a league football sensation, but has to address his kicking mechanics. I’ve seen Kai nearly miss his foot on more than one occasion!

I have very high hopes for Lohman. Really glad he signed up again.

i recall one game this year when he had a run on the ball and gave out some really clever handballs from traffic to set up players outside the congestion. If he can combine this sort of play with his natural talent and athletic ability he has a very high ceiling. I am not sure if he is going to make it or is just a tease, but if can cement a place in the 22, he will significantly improve the team.

Kai is a talented footballer however talent alone does not guarantee success. All sports are littered with failed gifted sports people. We don't have to look very far for evidence of what happens to naturally talented players who lack the mental fortitude to commit and make the best of their God given talents. We have recently seen Blake Coleman delisted and very likely never to be seen at AFL level again.

Kai is in his third year on the list and he is one of several players who needs to take the next step to rise above the ordinary level and cement a spot in the seniors. Tunstill is another and Berry if he is to enter elite level also needs a big pre-season. Rayner is the most obvious.

Kai, Tunstill, Berry and Rayner need to do a pre-pre-season and return to training, fitter and stronger than ever before. They should leave no stone unturned in making sure that come first day of training they are head and shoulder above the rest.

These guys should be hitting training loads now. (under performance management supervision)

These guys should be hitting training loads now. (under performance management supervision)
I agree with those players irel but they also need to switch off and have a break.

We’ve been up for so long now and we need to ensure they are fresh coming into the next year.

I agree that they should be turning up ready to go day 1 from preseason though.

Happy to be proven wrong but as hard as I’ve tried to see a player in Lohmann I just can’t see it. He can take a decent mark but his kicking needs some serious work.

First and foremost Kai needs to have an injury free Pre-Season for the first time which will set him up for a good year.
There are definitely avenues for him to get a decent amount of Senior games.
And it is up to him to play as well as he can to keep his spot in the team when he gets the chance.
The biggest problem I see with his kicking is when he is trying some silly little dinky kick and trying to be a bit cute.
He is a pretty decent kick when he kicks through the ball.
He has good agility, can take a good mark and can kick the ball and kick goals but needs to improve his decision making and speed of decision making a bit like Jarrod Berry and as we have seen with him, sometimes it is not an easy thing to train.
If he can improve naturally in this area, the sky is the limit.

Kai is a talented footballer however talent alone does not guarantee success. All sports are littered with failed gifted sports people. We don't have to look very far for evidence of what happens to naturally talented players who lack the mental fortitude to commit and make the best of their God given talents. We have recently seen Blake Coleman delisted and very likely never to be seen at AFL level again.

Kai is in his third year on the list and he is one of several players who needs to take the next step to rise above the ordinary level and cement a spot in the seniors. Tunstill is another and Berry if he is to enter elite level also needs a big pre-season. Rayner is the most obvious.

Kai, Tunstill, Berry and Rayner need to do a pre-pre-season and return to training, fitter and stronger than ever before. They should leave no stone unturned in making sure that come first day of training they are head and shoulder above the rest.

The clubs really can't do this.
There is a lot of do's and don't regarding players leave and club sanctions if they don't abide by the agreement.
Basically, it is up to players to keep a reasonable lever of fitness while on leave.

Imagine if you were a salesperson at say Harvey Norman.
The boss/supervisor wants you to get better at certain job-related skills.
They state you must attend workshops already arranged in your annual leave time as they don't want you missing any work time.
Failure to attend may result in work related disciplinary action.
No normal person would agree to this.
Below two clauses from page 84 and 85 of the CBA under
Post Season Leave

(E)
:Clubs, acting reasonably, may request attendance at training of specific AFL Players with five or more years on an AFL List who, in the reasonable opinion of the Club, have performance, fitness, treatment and/or development needs such that they should resume training earlier than the applicable Recommencement Date, provided that such AFL Players have agreed to return earlier than the applicable Recommencement Date and AFL and AFLPA have both approved the earlier return; and

(F) : each AFL Player will receive a minimum of six weeks Leave prior to the Recommencement Date.

Below just one clause as there is too many. From pages 86,87,88 & 89 of the CBA under
Contact With Players, Rehabilitation During Leave - Return From Post Season Leave - Miscellaneous: Sanctions On Clubs Breaking Agreement

6.4 (b) 111 :
if the AFL Player does not meet the Fitness Standard upon return from Christmas Leave, the Club and its leadership group may apply to AFL and AFLPA to sanction the AFL Player 2% of their base salary until they reach the Fitness Standard.

Kai's a bit overrated looking at the chatter here but happy if he fulfils the expectations.

Does great things from time to time in the seconds, if you want to be a regular senior player you need consistency and doing something amazing occasionally is no substitute for being reliable most times over the course of a whole game.

He needs to work on his disposal and decision making and build up to get stronger in the contest. He's still young enough and has enough talent to become a regular senior player over time if he puts the work in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Kai is one pre season away from being a genuine best 22 player. Hasn't had one yet and has had to scrap his way to get senior games. Give him a pre season and I think we see a confident, comfortable player at AFL level.

Slightly off topic, but could very easily see Brain playing half back at AFL level in 2024 too.
I remember hearing some talk about Brain looking good when repositioned to half back. What type of role does he play there?

I remember hearing some talk about Brain looking good when repositioned to half back. What type of role does he play there?

Would play an attacking half back role, but has really good pressure. Could see he and kiddy playing off the flanks and us moving one of McKenna or Wilmot to a wing.

Would play an attacking half back role, but has really good pressure. Could see he and kiddy playing off the flanks and us moving one of McKenna or Wilmot to a wing.
💥😍Totally agree Nunez I see a spot available on the wing for either of these players to be trialled in this position. McLuggage will play more as an inside mid until Ashcroft starts to play again. This give us an opportunity to trail both McKenna or Wilmot in this role.

Agreed. If we're being ruthless then we need a winger better than Berry. Berry should either play inside or be utility sub, but under Fagan he'll continue to hold that wing spot.

I don't see Kai playing anywhere except forward in the AFL team in 2024.
He could very well play another position at VFL level.

When you look at our GF side and our new players for 2024, we are very light on small forwards.
So much so that Kai is about our only depth player.
Should Kai make the best 22 side, whoever he replaces becomes our only small forward depth player.

Bumping this one, yet to put it all together but last night was the best sign yet I think. It wasn’t the flashy stuff that stood out or his nice, long range goal. It was his defensive work ethic. Highest number of pressure acts on the ground, laid 6 tackles and I saw him spoil a Suns forward 50 entry on multiple occasions getting back to help the defenders which is a very promising sign of his work rate.

You can see he is becoming more comfortable, less trying to fly for huge marks or kick ridiculous goals to prove himself. Just playing his role and committing to all the basics. Playing seniors without the immense pressure of being dropped does wonders for a young players confidence. You can even see when he gets a possession around the ground his kicking skills have improved as he has less anxiety about making a mistake. He is just playing naturally without overthinking things.

Lohmann spending the rest of the year in the seniors and developing into a handy forward/wing could be a huge win for 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kai Lohmann - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back