Kangaroos to be a force in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year, I stood in a bar with several North and Bomber mates prior to the Essendon v North Elimination Final sinking a few beers and discussing the game.

Fair to say, fans of each club tend to not have warm and fuzzy feelings about the opposition side, however both had a reasonable amount of respect for, and fear of the opposite.

The permutations of the finals meant the winner was likely to face Geelong the week after, and generalising, both sets of fans believed the winner of the EF was likely to beat Geelong as well (which of course as we know was exactly what happened).

Now why is this relevant? Because like it or lump it, Essendon and North found themselves, due to the obvious terminal weakness of Geelong, with an inside track to catapult themselves into the top four.

Essendon have now with this last weekends loss to Sydney, given up significant leads (31+ pts) three games in a row - the North final was smack bang in the middle of that.

Now, for the sake of being clear, I am NOT in some round about way trying to imply or infer that Essendon are a top four side that simply 'let' North win. Simply stating the facts as they are in order to demonstrate that North are roughly equivalent to a 'good' side. The game was close, Essendon does what it does, North powered over the top and won the game. The week after, they knocked over (in highly predictable fashion) Geelong.

Bravo, I certainly know I'd be pretty stoked if it was us that had made the top 4, but it is undeniable that, as has happened several times in the past, North were considerably weaker than the other top four sides.

The problem with making the top four in this fashion, is that it can artificially inflate the prospects of the side in question. North ARE a good side, I still think they are a fair chance to make the top 4 and would be shocked to see them miss the eight.

There are two generalised assumptions I've seen this offseason that have bemused me a bit. One, that Brisbane were immediately top eight threats, and two, that North were the 'next best' possibly just below Port in the flag race.

Reality is, they were one of a few sides that trailed Haw, Syd and Port into 2015. Teams such as Essendon, Adelaide, Fremantle had every reason to feel just as bouyant as North heading into 2015.

So to bottom line, North a good side. Good enough, with a little improvement, to genuinely challenge the top sides, but they have no reason to be MORE hopeful than several other sides in the league.
I think this is a fair and reasonable post. I was not us up beat as some and did not put us in the top 4 this year. I think Swans and Hawks are clearly in front of us and Port greater up side in 2015. I thought with Clark coming in the Cats would get 4th but not suprised if Freo also ended up there. At their best they are 4th and 5th. Then throw a blanket over Roos, Tigers, Ess and Crows. 1 of these 4 will miss the 8. Right now - we are as good as any to miss.

I did not buy into the Bris hype or that the Pies would be terrible.

It's early - but by round 8 we will know a lot more. We have Port, Cats in Geelong, Hawks, Ess, Tigers and Freo in WA. Not out of the question to be 1-7 or 2-6. From there is is a big ask just to make finals. We need to pull out finger out or this season will be a write off very quickly.

Is it just me or have the Kangaroos now become a comedy act and a parody of themselves?
Every 4-6 weeks we have the same 'bloodletting' event. This has been happening for years now.
Basically they put in an absolute stinker. Then Brad Scott does a press conference and reels out a series of cliches and acts tough.
They say its 'unacceptable' and that they will have a 'hard session on the track' and there will be some 'tough decisions at the selection table' and 'reputations won't count for anything'.
Then some player (NDS lately but could be anyone) come out and crap on how they had a really 'honest feedback meeting'.
Wash.
Repeat every 4 weeks.
It really is high comedy.
Its like watching a footy parody show only they don't seem to see the humour.
Your whole club's history is a comedy act.

The problem with making the top four in this fashion, is that it can artificially inflate the prospects of the side in question. North ARE a good side, I still think they are a fair chance to make the top 4 and would be shocked to see them miss the eight.

There are two generalised assumptions I've seen this offseason that have bemused me a bit. One, that Brisbane were immediately top eight threats, and two, that North were the 'next best' possibly just below Port in the flag race.

Reality is, they were one of a few sides that trailed Haw, Syd and Port into 2015. Teams such as Essendon, Adelaide, Fremantle had every reason to feel just as bouyant as North heading into 2015.

So to bottom line, North a good side. Good enough, with a little improvement, to genuinely challenge the top sides, but they have no reason to be MORE hopeful than several other sides in the league.

Agree with your points. The Tiges got sucked in under Frawley thinking we were a top 4 team and never recovered from some of the draft choices made after we made the Prelim.

I think North are a top 8 team but like most have them between 6-8. They are a very good team when allowed to play that free running game and when their forwards stand up. They will also win most of their games at Etihad. Brown will be key for them as takes pressure off Petrie to play lone hand.

I think this is a fair and reasonable post. I was not us up beat as some and did not put us in the top 4 this year. I think Swans and Hawks are clearly in front of us and Port greater up side in 2015. I thought with Clark coming in the Cats would get 4th but not suprised if Freo also ended up there. At their best they are 4th and 5th. Then throw a blanket over Roos, Tigers, Ess and Crows. 1 of these 4 will miss the 8. Right now - we are as good as any to miss.

I did not buy into the Bris hype or that the Pies would be terrible.

It's early - but by round 8 we will know a lot more. We have Port, Cats in Geelong, Hawks, Ess, Tigers and Freo in WA. Not out of the question to be 1-7 or 2-6. From there is is a big ask just to make finals. We need to pull out finger out or this season will be a write off very quickly.
Sorry - take the Tigers out of the blanket group.

Get a room Bill.

Ominous signs with Adelaide looking very well coached. Another potential finals opposition that will flog a mentally weak North.

Seeing Eddie Betts not even slightly celebrate his freak goal today then mention to david King about now doing team things...

Major signs this Adelaide side has a proper coach and will certainly make the top 6.

Brad Scott could do worse than take a big leaf out of adelaides nobody coach.

Get a room Bill.

Ominous signs with Adelaide looking very well coached. Another potential finals opposition that will flog a mentally weak North.

Seeing Eddie Betts not even slightly celebrate his freak goal today then mention to david King about now doing team things...

Major signs this Adelaide side has a proper coach and will certainly make the top 6.

Brad Scott could do worse than take a big leaf out of adelaides nobody coach.
Jesus your life must be terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players believe their own over rated hype. Yes efforts by Wells, Bastinac, Dal Santo ect need to be rewarded with an easy game in the VFL.. Either way 22 rounds to go, a lot will happen let me guarantee that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The players believe their own over rated hype. Yes efforts by Wells, Bastinac, Dal Santo ect need to be rewarded with an easy game in the VFL.. Either way 22 rounds to go, a lot will happen let me guarantee that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bastinac needs a good month in the VFL. Harvey was part of the problem last week and Wells was in a headspace that is cause for concern.

Good outs this week, Jacobs shouldn't have been near the side and Wright looks to have some issues with Scott. Wrights frame is still a concern for a last line defender. Players that give the opposition confidence need to be at their best.

Brown and Turner should've been automatic selections even at the expense of Waite and Thomas. With the addition of Higgins, the need for Thomas' longer kicking isn't as necessary so the 'actual' defensive pressure and better crumbing of Turner and Nahas, balances the talls (Wood included) better.

The 3/4 talls taking the responsibility is what will give the side a spine. Passing a buck to Thomas delays growth and unbalances the side.

Thomas has looked a bit sharper since Higgins arrived, so on current form deserves a spot.

Scott needs to rethink his starting square of Swallow, Cunnington and Ziebell. Flat footed, needs a line breaker.

The other huge weakness is the teams lack of ability or knowledge to hit 35-45 metre passes by foot.

With this squad its handball or 25 meter kick/50 metre kick or nothing. Something's wrong with how they practice. All or nothing approach and it stems from a blind coach and having too many players like Gibson and Swallow than cant hit a 35-40 meter target.

Contested marking must also not be a priority at training, perhaps to avoid injury.

Bad decision as the players are softer than required and an average kick goes to ground more often than not.

These 2 weaknesses are fixable but would take courage from a coach more fixated with sports science and his availability list than the hardness of his side.

Until he weeds out 1 or 2 of the worst 35/40 meter kicks, the side breaks at the weakest link in the chain almost everytime.

Bastinac needs a good month in the VFL. Harvey was part of the problem last week and Wells was in a headspace that is cause for concern.

Good outs this week, Jacobs shouldn't have been near the side and Wright looks to have some issues with Scott. Wrights frame is still a concern for a last line defender. Players that give the opposition confidence need to be at their best.

Brown and Turner should've been automatic selections even at the expense of Waite and Thomas. With the addition of Higgins, the need for Thomas' longer kicking isn't as necessary so the 'actual' defensive pressure and better crumbing of Turner and Nahas, balances the talls (Wood included) better.

The 3/4 talls taking the responsibility is what will give the side a spine. Passing a buck to Thomas delays growth and unbalances the side.

Thomas has looked a bit sharper since Higgins arrived, so on current form deserves a spot.

Scott needs to rethink his starting square of Swallow, Cunnington and Ziebell. Flat footed, needs a line breaker.

The other huge weakness is the teams lack of ability or knowledge to hit 35-45 metre passes by foot.

With this squad its handball or 25 meter kick/50 metre kick or nothing. Something's wrong with how they practice. All or nothing approach and it stems from a blind coach and having too many players like Gibson and Swallow than cant hit a 35-40 meter target.

Contested marking must also not be a priority at training, perhaps to avoid injury.

Bad decision as the players are softer than required and an average kick goes to ground more often than not.

These 2 weaknesses are fixable but would take courage from a coach more fixated with sports science and his availability list than the hardness of his side.

Until he weeds out 1 or 2 of the worst 35/40 meter kicks, the side breaks at the weakest link in the chain almost everytime.

Have you ever made a positive post about North? I'm not saying this post is wrong, but I'm struggling to find a post where you haven't declared your hatred for North or a North player.

Have you ever made a positive post about North? I'm not saying this post is wrong, but I'm struggling to find a post where you haven't declared your hatred for North or a North player.

Is a free country kid. But obviously if warranted there's postive elements to my posting.

Last edited:
Is a free country kid. But obviously if warranted there's postive elements to my posting.

I've never seen you post anything positive. I'm not saying that every post you make should be praising the club, but it's a little bit bizarre.

There's plenty of posters around for that. Part of the reason why the side falls off the cliff every 5 weeks is because they believe their own hype.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos to be a force in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back