Scandal Karmichael Hunt admits purchasing cocaine for GCS players - Suns commence investigation into claims

Remove this Banner Ad

The season had ended. There are no WADA rules against snorting coke out of competition. This would fall under the AFL's illicit drug code.
And the Gold Coast Suns had no coach when this occurred.

This is a completely different scenario to James Hird bringing Stephen Dank on board and giving him green light for their 'black ops'. 12 rogue players on a Mad Monday cocaine bender does not compare to 34 players receiving 1500 subcutaneous injections of AOD and TB4 during the season.
heck are we going to go through the AOD is legal thing again? It can't even be proven that TB4 was purchased by the club or that the club even intended to use it (going by the findings of the AFL tribunal) so that link is tenuous at best.
I find it ironinc that players were using an ILLEGAL substance and people are suggesting that it is ok. It is not ok to use cocaine, it is ILLEGAL to supply and use cocaine. If Danky had been trafficking cocaine into Essendon he would be in serious strife!

heck are we going to go through the AOD is legal thing again? It can't even be proven that TB4 was purchased by the club or that the club even intended to use it (going by the findings of the AFL tribunal) so that link is tenuous at best.
:rolleyes: Sure, mate… Keep telling yourself that. It was all just a media fabrication...
I find it ironinc that players were using an ILLEGAL substance and people are suggesting that it is ok. It is not ok to use cocaine, it is ILLEGAL to supply and use cocaine. If Danky had been trafficking cocaine into Essendon he would be in serious strife!
Nobody is suggesting this is okay, you moron.
There is probably no evidence for the police to lay charges against Hunt's teammates
The AFL have said they will interview players and deal with them under the illicit drug policy

Which bit don't you understand?

cashed-up-sportsmen-t3t9ot.jpg

Its a man thing, dates back to honour amongst thieves. Crims in the old days would never give up your fellow crim.

Then drugs took over and people would do anything for a hit, cops know this.

With campaigner they threatened to tear up his 2 mill contract unless he co operated, no brainer for him.

I doubt he will ever be trusted again within that scene and I'm surprised he hasn't had a good hiding, dog of a bloke in my eyes. Definitely not a stand up guy.
Phil "Buzz" Rothfield claims that the Police put the hard word on Harmichael in order to further their evidence against two "ex NRL Stars" who are running a cocaine cartel on the Gold Coast.
Obviously he was convinced by them that his statement would never be made public so he took the deal - which shows how intelligent he actually is !!!
He probably has bigger issues to deal with right now than the fact that he might find it hard to find an ex-team mate willing to have a beer with him.
Might get a little nervous every time he hears a Harley Davidson heading down his street in the middle of the night.

:rolleyes: Sure, mate… Keep telling yourself that. It was all just a media fabrication...
There is probably no evidence for the police to lay charges against Hunt's teammates
The AFL have said they will interview players and deal with them under the illicit drug policy

My post related specifically to the AOD and TB4 and nothing else and generally when someone starts insulting someone it generally relates more to the weakness of their argument. There was a comparison that I provided to hopefully show some perspective. If you don't agree, fine.

I just want to know why has the AFL and Gold Coast Suns taken so long to investigate this. It was clear from the moment that the story broke that Suns players were just as involved and those at Gold Coast Titans.

Once again the NRL have shown that the AFL is purely reactive to try and protect its arse rather than proactive to try and clean up the problem. The AFL sat back and hoped this would all go away quietly because the last thing they wanted was the basket case that is AFL footy in Queensland to get more bad press. Well guess what Gill, there is no chance that two AFL teams can survive in SE Qld without constant AFL additional assistance.

I just want to know why has the AFL and Gold Coast Suns taken so long to investigate this. It was clear from the moment that the story broke that Suns players were just as involved and those at Gold Coast Titans.

Once again the NRL have shown that the AFL is purely reactive to try and protect its arse rather than proactive to try and clean up the problem. The AFL sat back and hoped this would all go away quietly because the last thing they wanted was the basket case that is AFL footy in Queensland to get more bad press. Well guess what Gill, there is no chance that two AFL teams can survive in SE Qld without constant AFL additional assistance.
3 strike rule

Why not? He was THE SUPPLIER.

I'm glad I don't hang out in your circles.

There's a term for folk like you
Mate I said unless it was my mates. Your acting like a professional footy club means they are all best friends. They are work colleagues, some might be mates some are not. Get off your horse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am okay with self reporting once but I think if a person gets caught a second time then that one self reported case loses the benefit of the doubt and suddenly that player goes from 0 to 2 strikes.
Self reporting is now considered a strike,previously it was not and was a loophole

Self reporting is now considered a strike,previously it was not and was a loophole
That has only just come in though.

The whole 3 strikes policy in its current format is an absolute joke, it was designed to hide player drug use from the public not to get players not to use.

If you think that it is fair, then get into the real world, an increasing number of workplaces are now requiring workers to undergo random drug and alcohol tests, found to have an illicit substance in your system and you're fired. Part of the standard contract inside the mining industry and become almost standard inside the construction industry too.

Mate I said unless it was my mates. Your acting like a professional footy club means they are all best friends. They are work colleagues, some might be mates some are not. Get off your horse.

I really shouldn't be responding to a lagging dog.

So, lemme get this straight.

You buy a coupla 8-balls of Charlie for the post season soiree.

You share the drugs with your teammates (as you say, work colleagues and mebbe friends).

Y'all have a swingin' time.

However you are in the sights of the crime commission (who're tryin' to fry the bigger fish).

You get nabbed and squeal like an altar boy trapped with a creepy priest with a raging boner.

Top bloke :thumbsu:

That has only just come in though.

The whole 3 strikes policy in its current format is an absolute joke, it was designed to hide player drug use from the public not to get players not to use.

Yeah, let's name and shame the druggy '*****

If you think that it is fair, then get into the real world, an increasing number of workplaces are now requiring workers to undergo random drug and alcohol tests, found to have an illicit substance in your system and you're fired. Part of the standard contract inside the mining industry and become almost standard inside the construction industry too.

and what dangerous equipment are AFL player's controlling that puts their or others' lives at risk whilst they celebrate the end of the season?

The whole 3 strikes policy in its current format is an absolute joke.
It was designed to hide player drug use from the public not to get players not to use.
False.

The "whole 3 strikes policy" was the AFL's knee jerk reaction to the rock star drug culture that had infested the game. The West Coast Eagles had a dozen misbehaving players making headlines for all the wrong reasons, some being caught up in police murder investigations with links to known drug kingpins.

The AFL had other anecdotal evidence of drug use at many AFL clubs. They knew many players had turned to using coke, speed, marijuana and ecstasy because they could no longer get pissed every weekend.

The AFL's main concern is their brand. If they keep the game's image squeaky clean, the more corporate sponsors want to be associated with them and give them money.

The AFLPA only agreed to the illicit drug testing on condition the players received anonymity for first and second offences. Without that, there would be no illicit drug testing. It's a voluntary decision by the players' union. It was never designed to weed out the drug users. The AFL knows the bad apples will continue to use drugs no matter what rules they have in place. The illicit drugs policy acts more as a deterrent for the bulk of players, in particular, the young and impressionable players who might think of dabbling.

The issue is really with the testing procedures, not the 1st and 2nd strikes. If the AFL really wanted to stamp out drug use, they would spend 2-3 times more money for 2-3 as many drug tests. Many players know they can roll the dice away from match days because they're not tested as often as they should be.

Same goes for the AFL. If players are found to have illicit drugs in their system during in-competition testing, they've breached WADA's anti-doping code and they are given lengthy suspensions (e.g. Ryan Crowley)

Nobody in the mining industry has drug testers knocking on their front door at 6am while they're on their RDO

Last edited:

Silly post , Titans where charged , no Suns where charged , again on this occasion no Suns will be charged . Who knows if this is true or not , could be Hunt throwing his teammates under the bus to get a lesser sentance.

and what dangerous equipment are AFL player's controlling that puts their or others' lives at risk whilst they celebrate the end of the season?
You really do need to find some employment in the private sector, the policy applies to everyone working with the companies not just those at the mines, although test as less frequent for professional staff they still happen and have exactly the same consequences in terms of employment. I'm now hearing of it coming into parts of the finance sector as well, with a friend at a bank recently asked to put the hand in the bag and pull out a white or black ball.

It's not about the equipment someone controls its about whether or not the AFL is actually willing to deal with the problem and from what can be seen from the outside the answer is no. Failing to give clubs a real chance of taking preventative action is a joke. Whilst the club doctor is notified, it is incredibly difficult to do anything when realistically all you can do is talk about it.

You really do need to find some employment in the private sector, the policy applies to everyone working with the companies not just those at the mines, although test as less frequent for professional staff they still happen and have exactly the same consequences in terms of employment. I'm now hearing of it coming into parts of the finance sector as well, with a friend at a bank recently asked to put the hand in the bag and pull out a white or black ball.

It's not about the equipment someone controls its about whether or not the AFL is actually willing to deal with the problem and from what can be seen from the outside the answer is no. Failing to give clubs a real chance of taking preventative action is a joke. Whilst the club doctor is notified, it is incredibly difficult to do anything when realistically all you can do is talk about it.

No, I don't

Media propaganda

Then explain why if it is good enough for private industry to be able to sack professional workers for failing a drug test why should the AFL hide them away behind closed doors?
Well make it that footballers can only be tested when at work then. Not 6am on a Sunday morning while at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Karmichael Hunt admits purchasing cocaine for GCS players - Suns commence investigation into claims

Remove this Banner Ad

Back