Karmicheal Hunts first game

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been ok in lead up games but his first game at the tempo of AFL level would've been an absolute rude shock, as it was for many teammates.

while i'm still to be convinced i'll wait and see how he progresses through the season and not do the dumb BF thing and judge him after his first game.

hard to judge anything based on that.

GC were turning the ball over so much and getting blasted in the midfield.
a backline of Hall of Famers might well have struggled.

and playing him on 200cm+ guys is hardly any indication of anything.

He was not in their worst 5 for starters, and do you drop a test debutant if he makes a duck on a seaming wicket?

Silvagni/Scarlett whoever would have looked ordinary with the service the opposition forwards were getting.

He might not have looked so bad if he had kicked the ball instead of handballing it to players under duress
That is part of the education, looking 40-50 meters upfield rather than looking to offload five meters to your left or right. He is in a foreign environment and playing it safe, hopefully he becomes more comfortable and moving the ball forwards rather than sideways becomes more of an instinct - especially if he stays in defence.

His kicking looked good and he made some nice spoils. Was ok for his first game, nothing special but he wasn't terrible.

Yeah he isn't worth a million bucks of whatever he is on, but he wasn't the worst out there i didn't think.

very odd that they persisted with him on warnock/hampson but i noticed a couple of times under pressure he'd just handball to a player under pressure...would've preferred him to take the tackle and then handball off...god knows he'd have the leg/core strength to stand up in a tackle but i guess that will take time.

his kicking was a lot better/more fluent than i thought but his fitness may be down...although he seemed to have problems with his calves so maybe it was a matter of play him in game 1 even if he's not 100%

it was a tough game for all the gc boys anyway...even a few of the afl players struggled so i wouldn't be too harsh on judging him. the only obvious observation is how much he gets paid compared to his output...but like some others have said, he doesn't get paid all that money to play

nowhere near their worst.

that guy with the huge curly hair looks awful.

Was that Magin?

Thought Hunt was OK. I'm not really sure what he's going to end up as. Obviously can't play midfield, doesn't have the feel for the forward line and doesn't really wow as a defender. He needs to learn how to get the cheap kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been critical of the amount of money paid to him, but he wasn't terrible in the context of the game. Question is, does he have a future as a 186cm stopper?

I've been critical of the amount of money paid to him, but he wasn't terrible in the context of the game. Question is, does he have a future as a 186cm stopper?

yeh if i was a Gold Coast supporter i'd be filthy at the amount of money they blew on Hunt. For the money they paid Hunt they could've got another judd-esque like player. Instead they just waste 1 mil on a NRL gimmik to try and capture some of the league fan market, which really doesn't care that much about 1 player in the first place. I think similiar thing will happen with GWS as well in regards to Folou. Atm people won't really care about it coz they gona be running dead last for a couple years but in a few years time when their competitive and they miss getting into a GF coz they just didn't have quite enough depth they'll look back on the decision to blow heaps of cash on Hunt as a disaster. I think Hunt does have the ability to make it as an AFL player but he's picked up the game 2 late to ever be an elite 1 if that makes sense.

yeh if i was a Gold Coast supporter i'd be filthy at the amount of money they blew on Hunt. For the money they paid Hunt they could've got another judd-esque like player. Instead they just waste 1 mil on a NRL gimmik to try and capture some of the league fan market, which really doesn't care that much about 1 player in the first place. I think similiar thing will happen with GWS as well in regards to Folou. Atm people won't really care about it coz they gona be running dead last for a couple years but in a few years time when their competitive and they miss getting into a GF coz they just didn't have quite enough depth they'll look back on the decision to blow heaps of cash on Hunt as a disaster. I think Hunt does have the ability to make it as an AFL player but he's picked up the game 2 late to ever be an elite 1 if that makes sense.

Im pretty sure the afl funded the hunt deal, and in any case the publicity Hunt has given the GC is huge and proberly paid off the investment already

Not quite over yet but this is just flatout horrific to watch. 5 possessions, 2 tackles. Has no idea what he is doing and is clearly not in Gold Coasts best 22 based on actual ability to play the game.

Will Guy McKenna do the right thing and drop him to the reserves next week or does he get to play because his name looks good in lights?

It's his first game, ffs... they'll keep him in, as I imagine he's still on a pretty steep learning curve.

as others have said, there were experienced footballers playing tonight who should've been leading by exmaple (Brennan, for example) who were utterly sh*t. After a loss like that, when absolutely nobody won their position, how can you pinpoint a rookie defender as the one to shoulder the blame?

First game, he'll learn a lot. He certainly needs time, but he'll get there. He's too competitive and too good not to.

Good luck to him!

Wow do people really expect him to be a sensation over night Michael Tuck played 150 reserves games Dipper about the same. Way to harsh.

agree. people sinking the boots into K are way too harsh. Hell be fine. Dont underestimate the guy. Terrible match ups for him. Wasnt their worst. That prestia guy cant handball and the guy with the hair is just too young skinny at this point in time. Suns backline under ridiculous pressure. Most defenders would look silly when the ball is coming in that often and quick. Suns performances at centre bounces was awful and ablett looked half a$$ed.

i dont think this is a case of gold coast money. it is afl money and an afl project to have K there.

way too early to judge this anyway. lets give him his full 2 years. i like the guy.

This is the main point. He has no properly defined role that I can see him excelling at in the future. At 186cm I believe he is far too small to play key defence (without years of footy nous to help him out), and with his limited engine and unimpressive pace he isn't nimble enough to go with the smalls.

Will have to have enormous character to make it. Skills are a bit dodgy but the biggest problem IMO is that he just can't read the game at all.

not surprising since up until now he was used to watching traffic coming at him from one direction. will take quite awhile to adjust to the 360 nature of it all and also get used to the pace of the game, its a big jump from rugby to vfl to seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Karmicheal Hunts first game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back