Karmicheal Hunts first game

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunt got more touches than Jobe Watson did in his debut game..

I was actually relatively impressed by him, in all honesty. Comparisons based on salary are, obviously, setting him up for dissapointment- comparisons based on the actualy expectations placed upon him are more reasonable. I doubt the expectations placed upon him onfield are anywhere near those of half the guys in his own team, let alone other guys on big pay packets.

His kicking thoroughly impressed me, his general body work in marking contests (and not giving away a free every time) impressed me, his not getting run a merry dance by every guy he played on impressed me, that at one stage he had no options and kicked long to the ruckman (who didn't mark, but GC came up with the ball) impressed me. Give the guy a chance, Carlton was absolutely carving up the GC midfield and I can think of few defenders in the competition that would have come out as a shining beacon of defensive ability playing for GC last night. I don't think he was their worst player, and dropping him after one game would be counter productive to his long term development- YES he needs to learn to read the play, and he can do that in the magoos (and I'm sure he will spend time in the magoos this season), but he also needs to learn to back himself and take a chance and getting dropped after round 1 won't help him with that.

The true test of his value is how he performs in the media talking about the team's/his first game, and how he performs at the warmup session and around the club in making sure that the excitement of the first game isn't washed out for the youngsters by a dour mood after copping a hiding.

Yep completely agree Stellation. Good post, 20 goal floggings arent the easiest situation for a veteren defender let alone a guy making his debut. I was pretty impressed with him the nab cup so id say he deserves more time.

But will he ever live up to his contract? No way, but i think he could still be a solid player.

Warwick Capper MKII. At least Capper could play a bit.

Capper kicked 103 goals one year, twice runner up in the coleman medal behind Lockett, mark of the year on several occasions, playing against some of the best fullbacks of all time, could play more than just a bit, Hunt has a long way too go but he wasnt as bad as I expected and agree with the poster who said he has to get used to the 360 degrees aspect of the game. Not an easy challenge code swapping but Pyke from the Swans has done it better on much less money, with no fanfare.

Should convert to Islam and take up boxing, become "world champion" and then have his ass handed to him by some Australian journeyman.
We need more great Australian sporting stories like this:thumbsu:

I'm still surprised that they are playing him as a defender. I was surprised when they announced it and I'm still surprised now.

This idea that you can 'see the game unfold' from defence is weird. You can see your midfield getting smashed and the ball coming in with nothing you can do to stop it, sure. But see it unfold? What's the point.

Play him as a forward line wrecking ball. At least then he might be able to have an impact even if he doesn't take many marks.

Capper kicked 103 goals one year, twice runner up in the coleman medal behind Lockett, mark of the year on several occasions, playing against some of the best fullbacks of all time, could play more than just a bit, Hunt has a long way too go but he wasnt as bad as I expected and agree with the poster who said he has to get used to the 360 degrees aspect of the game. Not an easy challenge code swapping but Pyke from the Swans has done it better on much less money, with no fanfare.
Hunt was better than Pyke was in his first couple of games and Pyke wasn't playing for a team that was losing by 20 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 6 more touches (and he's a had a handball or 2 recently) and 2 tackles. Darlings also been playing for a lot longer.

the point being, he hasn't been terrible, just one of a large number of ypung/new players who will get better as they get more games under their belt

Darling doesn't stand around watching players run past him, Hunt doesn't give his team any run or drive from defense and actually spectates a lot.

Also for such a big bloke doesn't use his size to good effect in and around the ground ball contest's, probably hard because he doesn't get involved enough but as his coach said needs to hit more body's make them fear his presence which will lead to turnovers.

Has a long way to go imo, not saying he wont improve as he clearly will but atm is not an AFL standard defender in all aspects of his game.

Positives:

Spoilt well, used his body well for the most part in marking contest's, kicking was good can improve with game time imo and better match up.

Silly coaching having a bloke play FB on a ruckman giving away 30cm in height.

Complete waste of money just fell sorry for those kids who play under 18's and miss out playing afl after not being drafted.

Should have moved him to the forward line. Might have been able to put some forward pressure on.

Thought he wasnt the worst, and will improve in time.

Play him as a forward line wrecking ball. At least then he might be able to have an impact even if he doesn't take many marks.
Didn't think of this last night but definitely agree here. He was having next to no impact in the backline, (who was?).. why not throw him forward. Let him contest a couple of balls, maybe put the ball on a defenders head and let him charge a couple of balls down..and maybe put a bit of doubt in the blue's defenders who pretty much did as they please.

Complete waste of money just fell sorry for those kids who play under 18's and miss out playing afl after not being drafted.

Exactly, and it is so wrong to be paying huge money to someone whilst he learns how to play the game. K-Hunt is a disgrace and an embarrassment to football. He'll never be any good, and I can't believe there are still people out there expecting him to be a star. The guy CAN NOT PLAY.

Didn't think of this last night but definitely agree here. He was having next to no impact in the backline, (who was?).. why not throw him forward. Let him contest a couple of balls, maybe put the ball on a defenders head and let him charge a couple of balls down..and maybe put a bit of doubt in the blue's defenders who pretty much did as they please.

He'd be worse in the forward line.

Maybe the midfield?

Lets be honest here........there is NOWHERE to hide him.

And to think we have Israel Falou yet to come!!!

I know K's stats were poor , but the Blues were always going to play through him as all sides will , try and expose his lack of awareness , but i did not think he was that bad last night , i was there and had great seats and kept an eye on him most the night , the Suns had many worse based on preformance-experiance ratio.

Since he was a free agent signing you wouldnt compare him with draft picks. Rather you would compare him with players on that type of money at other clubs

His 1 mill a year should see him compared to Chris Judd and Jonathon Brown if we were being fair and honest about it. Judd just outshined him today id say
Ridiculous comparison, clearly makes no sense.

He clearly is not in the same category as an AFL free agent.

Was alright today, seemed to get a couple of touches in the forward half of the field which was good to see, disposal not great but still working on it.

GCS would be hoping he cops an injury or was suspended if they ever became competitive.

still its easier for k.hunt to hide in 22 than for steve smith to hide in 11.

clearly carried hard.

Was alright today, seemed to get a couple of touches in the forward half of the field which was good to see, disposal not great but still working on it.

Yeah, I went along today and he was relatively good compared to other times I've seen him.

Did well playing on Grant for most of the game, was shaky a few times with the ball and was really good defensively in marking contests.

MMM after the game said he had 10 disposals and his opponents for the day whilst they were on him had 8 disposals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Karmicheal Hunts first game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back