Player Watch Kayle Kirby (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess is because its written content and few people know each other so taking it literally is the safe option. The only reason I try to keep an open mind on this stuff is because I've been caught out before (half believing everything you hear is tough though). The next watch area for me is Wells' kick to the calf...

I'm the opposite.

Most people when talking about observational estimations are just that, guess work. So if say some track watcher says Joe Bloe has put on 6kgs of lean muscle, I think he must look bigger physically and cut to the eye compared to last season.

If the comment came from some one who is a part of the football club then I would lean more to the exact wording.

I'm happy to keep hoping for a good outcome, rather than wanting a player axed before he's even played a game for us. I've been looking forward to us having Brown, Daicos and Kirby on our books and vying for a senior spot this year, as we've really lacked small forwards in recent times. I want to see as much competition for places as possible, removing a player from the list cuts back on that.
Do you honestly think as a collingwood supporter i dont want him to do well!!?? The facts are his fat and not committed he's gone

Do you honestly think as a collingwood supporter i dont want him to do well!!?? The facts are his fat and not committed he's gone
Perhaps you don't mean it that way at all, but it really looks to me as if there's some people around here who are kind of hoping this bloke fails just so they can gloat and say "I told you so". It's not a good look. I could understand if a few Richmond people had that attitude, because they might have felt that we had pinched a player they had some sort of a claim on, but I'd prefer to see Collingwood supporters get behind every player on our list, rather than being prepared to dump them without giving them a decent chance.

I don't want to see us suddenly a man short, if Kirby goes we don't get to draft another player onto our list to replace him. I just want as many players possible competing for spots in both of our teams, seeing us have two unavailable types on our list for the whole of last season was very annoying. And I don't like the idea of a young lad having his crack at the big time ended so soon. There must be a lot of ex-footballers who had the talent but not the application sitting in pubs watching a game and saying to their mates for the 100th time "that could have been me out there"!

I would be very disappointed if the club gives up on him 4 months into his AFL career. Work with him. Give him some belief that if he puts the work in he can be a good footballer.

Parting ways by 'mutual agreement' would be hard to take, If he refuses then there is only so much you can do. But Collingwood needs to leave no stone unturned in trying to get Kayle right.

If Kayle leaves Collingwood before the season starts that reflects badly on us and our ability to develop indigenous footballers.

Kicked some bags late in the yr for tiges vfl apparently (played a couple of games). Weight has been an issue apparently? Didn't test well, but SEN were happy with pick.

Looks like we are filling a need.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote from 1st page of this thread.

I would be very disappointed if the club gives up on him 4 months into his AFL career. Work with him. Give him some belief that if he puts the work in he can be a good footballer.

Parting ways by 'mutual agreement' would be hard to take, If he refuses then there is only so much you can do. But Collingwood needs to leave no stone unturned in trying to get Kayle right.

If Kayle leaves Collingwood before the season starts that reflects badly on us and our ability to develop indigenous footballers.
We've taken a few talented long shots in recent years that haven't came off. Abbott and Marsh come to mind. Maybe we currently lack the environment or welfare aspects to nurture and develop these types.

In terms of Kirby we knew there would be adjusts required at the time of the draft and I don't think it would be fair to cut him this early and really need to give him the whole season.

In terms of Kirby we knew there would be adjusts required at the time of the draft and I don't think it would be fair to cut him this early and really need to give him the whole season.
My thoughts exactly. It would be such a lose-lose situation. Such a waste for both parties.

Kirby loses a fantastic opportunity to earn a decent living and start to set himself up for life. Collingwood loses a talented young forward that we used a third round pick on 4 months ago before pulling on the boots.

Jeez reading this thread is a real downer. I suspect that there may well be some issues with Kirby but I would hate to see either him or the club chuck in the towel so early on in the piece. Especially the Club. They must have known there may be the possibility of issues when they drafted him. It seems to have been widely reported at the time. If the Club make the call I think we have every right to be a bit angry. The kid is only 18 or 19. There is plenty of time to get his head and his body right. If Kirby himself is questioning his comittment, I can only hope we do everything we can to help him out. He has played VFL footy. He must have had some idea of the workload required. All in all, I just hope it works out for him. He can clearly play the game.

If Kirby gives up then so be it enforce his contract and put him on the LTI list so we can upgrade a player and don't let him play suburban footy or whatever, if the club is giving up on him then WTF its been one preseason.

Jeez reading this thread is a real downer. I suspect that there may well be some issues with Kirby but I would hate to see either him or the club chuck in the towel so early on in the piece. Especially the Club. They must have known there may be the possibility of issues when they drafted him. It seems to have been widely reported at the time. If the Club make the call I think we have every right to be a bit angry. The kid is only 18 or 19. There is plenty of time to get his head and his body right. If Kirby himself is questioning his comittment, I can only hope we do everything we can to help him out. He has played VFL footy. He must have had some idea of the workload required. All in all, I just hope it works out for him. He can clearly play the game.
Same but if Kirby chucks in the towel what else can you do? That's his choice and if he can't or doesn't want to be apart of an AFL environment then so be it. If he wants to still pursue and AFL career and the club is giving up him then I have an issue with that.

We've taken a few talented long shots in recent years that haven't came off. Abbott and Marsh come to mind. Maybe we currently lack the environment or welfare aspects to nurture and develop these types.

Didn't think Marsh was that much of a long shot. Yes we took him with a late pick but how could we know he would get depressed at Collingwood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't think Marsh was that much of a long shot. Yes we took him with a late pick but how could we know he would get depressed at Collingwood?
There's been a few players who have slipped in the draft due to issues unknown by the public for example Reece McKenzie attempted suicide at 16. I don't know either way whether or not Marsh's issues were pre-existing when he was drafted, however Marsh was very raw and it wasn't really known what his best position was.

There's been a few players who have slipped in the draft due to issues unknown by the public for example Reece McKenzie attempted suicide at 16. I don't know either way whether or not Marsh's issues were pre-existing when he was drafted, however Marsh was very raw and it wasn't really known what his best position was.

Where did you hear he Tried to Commit Sucide at 16?

That would explain why Teams where Scared to Draft Him and With Him Retire means they made the Right Call

Some of the comments in this thread are ugly. AFL is a hard adjustment; and for some it's harder than others. Support the kid FFS.

He's an adult now whose been handed a once in a life time opportunity and appears to be pissing it down the drain at this (no doubt) early stage.

Needs a kick up the bum if he wants to have a chance at an AFL career, he isn't a baby and we don't need to sugarcoat things... Being so fat at the end of a long preseason is unacceptable.

Hopefully Kayle has some mentors to guide him. Be there when he's wavering in commitment. Give him support with diet. Keep him on track with exercise.

Sounds like he needs some extra effort from the club. They should be set up to do this.

Who is the player welfare guru? Is it the Caff?

I can't help but feel that we've taken the wrong approach with him. From training reports it sounds like he's just been running laps to get his fitness up rather than being a part of match simulation. Pretty dispiriting and demotivating for a guy who was recruited with probable commitment issues. Let him play, have fun slowly getting fitter through match play and accept building his work ethic and fitness is going to take a couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Kayle Kirby (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back