KDFL - Pre-Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone got the low down on Longwoods new coach? My understanding is he has never coached as anything other than an assistant, and it seems he's has had an injury interupted last few years as a player. He's also copped a bit of critiscism on Riverina Footy League thread.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517320&highlight=adam+bourke&page=2

Can any of the longwood connections tell us a little more about him?

He was assistant coach to Jason Heatley at Wantirna South in 2nd division maybe 4 or 5 years ago when they finished third. Pretty sure he won their B & F. Massive bloke and dominated in the few games I saw him play that year. Sounds like the body has given out. Shame for Longwood. Good bloke for memory.

You ban Longwood banter and the KDFL thread dies! Go figure!
If Longwood seem to be the main conversation starters, i cant wait to see the crowd when we take on Undera in round 1!
Would rather have no posts in here for two weeks than one more post of Longwood bullshit.

Was speaking with a bloke who has a bit to do with the Tatura footy club and he seems to think that Godsmark could be on the move to the GV Kennel (Tatura) in 2010 - is he having a lend of himself or could this have merit?

Was speaking with a bloke who has a bit to do with the Tatura footy club and he seems to think that Godsmark could be on the move to the GV Kennel (Tatura) in 2010 - is he having a lend of himself or could this have merit?

Godsy is fully commited to Undera for 2010 and I would be very surprised if he leaves for a long lime after that. Three best and fairests, represented Vic Country District twice, equal leading vote getter in league best and fairest and assistant coach of a premiership team. It is a pretty strong legacy being built.

Has anyone got the low down on Longwoods new coach? My understanding is he has never coached as anything other than an assistant,

Bugger me, if club's never took a punt on "assistant coaches" many of us would never have got a look in. I did 3 years (B'ford x1 & Yea x2) as an assistant to Matty Finch before I had a go. Albeit 2009 certainly was a year to forget personally I owe a fair bit to Finchy for taking a punt and giving a young fella with an interest a go back in about 2000.

All coaches have to kick off their careers somewhere . . . .

Tat are desperate for a full back or centre half back, apparently that is wat they are looking for to complete the list! Maybe Godsy is the man!

Bugger me, if club's never took a punt on "assistant coaches" many of us would never have got a look in. I did 3 years (B'ford x1 & Yea x2) as an assistant to Matty Finch before I had a go. Albeit 2009 certainly was a year to forget personally I owe a fair bit to Finchy for taking a punt and giving a young fella with an interest a go back in about 2000.

All coaches have to kick off their careers somewhere . . . .

I have no issues giving an assistant the full time gig, you've gotta start somewhere, but I would have thought the best option in longwoods situation would have been a former assistant as a playing coach or at the least an experienced non playing coach. With each of these methods you have a rough idea what your going to get for your money, either a proven player or a proven coach, this seems like it could be a bit of a gamble. Also sometimes you can lure a gun by offering them the coaching role and the extra cash that goes with it. You know Doona, like the Dunney situation, everyone knows he's not assistant material, but to pay him what he wants there has to be some way to justify to others what he gets paid. "yeah he gets paid that....but he is the assistant coach":D

Tat are desperate for a full back or centre half back, apparently that is wat they are looking for to complete the list! Maybe Godsy is the man!
Not too sure that Tatura would be looking for a CHB for the coming season,pretty sure Ben Cosgriff has signed for another season.Former Essendon rookie ,GV and O & M rep.Fairly handy player and unless im mistaken he is playing again.And il have agree with the Mooroopna Man would seem unlikely that Godsmark would leave.

Sports Mad just reading some of your posts you continue to say your not knocking Longwood but you continually have negative comments to write about them,bout time to give it rest and either help out or get over it.You cant knock a club for having a go and from an outsider only reading this and the papers thats what they are doing .

Happy new year !!

Sports Mad just reading some of your posts you continue to say your not knocking Longwood but you continually have negative comments to write about them,bout time to give it rest and either help out or get over it.You cant knock a club for having a go and from an outsider only reading this and the papers thats what they are doing .

Happy new year !!

Been very critical of the clubs actions, very happy to see some changes and hope they can move forward, but won't forget past actions either. I don't think discussing appointments should be seen as negative. I'm not saying the decision is right or wrong, only time will answer that. Just seems unusual to go down the path again with a non playing coach. How many teams in KDFL operate the same way?

Been very critical of the clubs actions, very happy to see some changes and hope they can move forward, but won't forget past actions either. I don't think discussing appointments should be seen as negative. I'm not saying the decision is right or wrong, only time will answer that. Just seems unusual to go down the path again with a non playing coach. How many teams in KDFL operate the same way?

Premiers of the last 3 years just from the top of my head!!:eek:

Top 5 from this year were;
Undera - Terry Mahoney - Non-playing
Nagambie - Robbie Auld - Semi-playing
Lancaster - Paul Burnett - Playing
Stanhope - Mark Patten - Non-playing
Murchison - Justin Williams - Playing

Premiers of the last 3 years just from the top of my head!!:eek:

It was a genuine question Hank, I was looking for facts. From your other post it seems about 50/50.

Ok, The question.....Which is better for a club (ie player respect, game and club contribution, value for money, game impact), playing or non-playing?

It was a genuine question Hank, I was looking for facts. From your other post it seems about 50/50.

Ok, The question.....Which is better for a club (ie player respect, game and club contribution, value for money, game impact), playing or non-playing?

Pro's & Con's for both, can also depend on the make-up of the club/team and where they are heading, eg. avg age of list, developing, just missing that slight edge, work ethic of the group, whether there are already on-field leaders in the team, etc, etc.
Going on your performance indicators;
Player Respect - Same for both, will depend on their coaching and/or playing record, player respect can be earned throughout the pre-season, must admit it is easier to get when your out there leading from the front though.
Game & Club contribution - If your out there playing as well as coaching then a coaches contribution may be deemed as being more in that aspect, although from experience your performance in both playing and coaching can be to the detriment of one or the other or both when you are in the duel role.
Value for money - no difference as playing coaches on average would be paid double what a non-playing coach is paid, so if anything as mentioned above you may get better value for money from a non-playing role, as they are solely concentrating on the one job and that is coaching the team/club and not also worrying about getting a kick themselves.
Game Impact - You can have an impact both as a non-playing and playing coach, obviously as a player your impact can be seen and be measured easier by supporters etc, but by coaching from the sidelines and being able to call the shots in every second of the game without delay can have a huge impact in games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I no nothing about Longwood except the off field politics, would somebody like to give a insight of there on-field team. Maybe there better players, credentials and the ones to look out for in 2010.

Cheers

As I no nothing about Longwood except the off field politics, would somebody like to give a insight of there on-field team. Maybe there better players, credentials and the ones to look out for in 2010.

Cheers

hey boppin heard a whisper you might be going into ky to play with your mates in the two,s. ?

Troy Mitchell to play for Ky this year will be a huge loss for Lancaster with Eddy injured for 2010. Have they recruited any forwards yet ?

Any truth here i'm hearing there are a few Undera boys unhappy with some of the new sign ups and are thinking of leaving 4 or 5 ive heard?????????? Its just what im hearing any truth??????????????????????

Any truth here i'm hearing there are a few Undera boys unhappy with some of the new sign ups and are thinking of leaving 4 or 5 ive heard?????????? Its just what im hearing any truth??????????????????????

Andrew Dowell going to play for Rushworth seconds with his brother and not wanting to train this year and Michael Dann spending his second year at Geelong Uni playing down there rather than travelling. Neither indicated any issues with recruits.

I haven't heard of anyone else and everyone at the club seems pretty stoked with the recruits.

Andrew Dowell going to play for Rushworth seconds with his brother and not wanting to train this year and Michael Dann spending his second year at Geelong Uni playing down there rather than travelling. Neither indicated any issues with recruits.

I haven't heard of anyone else and everyone at the club seems pretty stoked with the recruits.

Sorry mate i didnt mean it was all about the recruits!! Poor wording on my behalf :D
I ment the new recruits are great for the club but a few players that were left out and dropped in the granny are still *issed off about getting dropped and with the new boys on the block they feel that it will be the same all over again.. Thats what I ment sorry mate, its the silly season but my snouts tell me other wise but they are only have a strike rate of 45 out of 100 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back