lutts

Senior List
Oct 5, 2004
Launceston
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
St. Pats Old Boys
Why is everyone trying to trade off our #5 pick?

Lets plan for the future and draft some of the best young talent with #2 & #5 and worry about picking up experienced players in the PSD (it seems there are going to be plenty around this year)

The reason is people have heard a rumour that Freo and/or West Coast want it and will offer us something for it.

i have to agree, lets draft the best kids in the draft and not let other teams take these young recruits away from us and down the track they may laugh and say how did you ever let that kid slipp through , brisbane never traded thier early picks and look what they got!

fair enough but kerr is worth every bit of pick 5 and ONLY kerr because of his age and capabilities to compete with the best such as judd cousins fletcher and braun, power is a star but he is to old for pick 5 and bartel is going to be a star but a risk not worth taking, so i say keep pick 5 but if we can get kerr for it, then its well spent

manassa said:
would we get kerr for pick 5 on its own or would we have to offer more?
i honestly believe it is not worth the risk for wc to give up a young proven future superstar of the game for an uncertain pick 5 but there is also the kennedys and dowlers that are going to be picked up around 4-5-6 that are going to be star KPP in years to come in the AFL and that is what wc is looking for.
i dont think collingwood should give anything more then pick 5 because we don't have anything available for wc with pick 5, every tall at collingwood is wanted at the club and wc dont want any small players.
so i say straight swap = kerr for #5 is fair, what is your opinion?

goalpie said:
Dnt think so. 2b fair, need to offer more.
i guess the hard thing to take in is that we can't offer wce anything for kerr other then draft picks and we NEED draft picks and theres no way tarrant will be under-valued for ANYONE so i think we will need to pass on kerr but theres bartel and power, if nothing as achieved in trade week, we'll get at least 1 in the PSD

Keep the wall up, keep the wall up! Don't let them in, don't let them in!

Come on guys, if the club was given the straight option of Power/Kerr or Pick 5, they'd take it straight away for either of them. Pick 5 at this stage is just a number. Richmond had Pick 3 before Fiora, we had Pick 7 before Roach, the Kangaroos Pick 6 before Dylan Smith.

Put it this way. We'd be delighted if our number 5 pick turned out anything like Luke Power.

you idiot sheehan said:

Come on guys, if the club was given the straight option of Power/Kerr or Pick 5, they'd take it straight away for either of them. Pick 5 at this stage is just a number. Richmond had Pick 3 before Fiora, we had Pick 7 before Roach, the Kangaroos Pick 6 before Dylan Smith.

Put it this way. We'd be delighted if our number 5 pick turned out anything like Luke Power.

Totally agree, the draft is way too unpredictable to decline an offer like that if it comes our way

you idiot sheehan said:

thats 100% true, but the only problem i have is that with a pick 5 we'd be getting a 10-12 year player most likely..
with power, we'd be getting a star midfielder for 4-5 years MAX.
the age is the only issue, not the quality. if power was 20-21 i would give up pick 2 if it was the only way to land him because this guy is capable of winning premierships with a team like collingwoods, but the problem is we're lost 2-3 quality years from him already

PieLebo87 said:
fair enough but kerr is worth every bit of pick 5 and ONLY kerr because of his age and capabilities to compete with the best such as judd cousins fletcher and braun, power is a star but he is to old for pick 5 and bartel is going to be a star but a risk not worth taking, so i say keep pick 5 but if we can get kerr for it, then its well spent

See, I can read that - well done

And I think you are right - keep 5 but trade it only for a gun midfielder (Kerr, Power etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lenny29 said:
I wouldn't trade 5 for Power. Pick 5 needs to be someone long term to play in the guts - Power's got 4, 5 years in the midfield at most.

But then most likely another 3 or 4 as a 40-50+ goal forward, I would think Power for pick 5 would be acceptable

The reason that the Freo Shockers and Weagles want pick 5 is that 3 out of the top five kids are Western Australian Based.

I reckon if we could land Power or Kerr then trade it. All we need is to pass and draft another "Homesick Western Australian version of Nick Davis" and we get nothing.

Even if they are not home sick then the players will talk uo going home every contract time to up the price.

Swifty_446 said:
Short term fixes will come back to bite you.

Pick 5 is very valuable, I wouldn't give it up for Power or Kerr.

How is Kerr a "short term fix"?? he is 21-22, Power has only just turned 25 as well, both are players we would "hope" our pick 5 will become only they seasoned

Swifty_446 said:

Just how good do you think a player at pick 5 will be? Luke Power is a gun premiership defender, a gun premiership forward and a gun premiership midfielder. He is as hard and brave as Scott Burns and as skilful as anyone on our list possibly bar Buckley and potentially Didak. He has good pace and, importantly, a good brain. Unless there is a Judd and he will last until pick 5 or unless the club recons it can confidently pick out a Dal Santo or Black then pick 5 for Power is a good deal. 5 Years is plenty but he’ll potentially have a couple more than that. We need midfielders. We need pace, skill and hardness. We need winners. Where else can we improve so many areas of need than with Luke Power? He fits right in with our leadership needs and he slots right into our premiership horizon.

Swifty_446 said:

Agreed...

As for Kerr - in a flash... Collingwood would advertise irresponsibility to relinquish such a trade. Kerr, Magic, Dutchy, Lica, Didak, Tazz & pick 2 rotating in the middle sounds like a decent plan...

Unfortunately it would never happen...

Swifty_446 said:

Danny Roach wasn't a short-term fix. He was a short-term nightmare! It's a lottery. You pretty well know the top two or three will turn out to be guns, but as far as I'm concerned, we did just was well with Rusling at 27 as a couple of clubs did with pics inside the top 10.

you idiot sheehan said:
Danny Roach wasn't a short-term fix. He was a short-term nightmare! It's a lottery. You pretty well know the top two or three will turn out to be guns, but as far as I'm concerned, we did just was well with Rusling at 27 as a couple of clubs did with pics inside the top 10.
Rusling at #23.

But regardless, he was a massive smokey, and it's been made clear that we probably even rated him higher than Egan, but since no one knew about him, we didn't use our first round pick on him.

However, if we only had the one pick in the draft to use (outside of Trav Cloke) we would've drafted Rusling with it, most likely.

Besides, people saying that a Top 5 pick could end up being another Danny Roach, but teams are getting better at recruiting nowadays. Look at the past 4 draft Top 5s.

2004:
#1 - Brett Deledio
#2 - Jarryd Roughead
#3 - Ryan Griffen
#4 - Richard Tambling
#5 - Lance Franklin

2003:
#1 - Adam Cooney
#2 - Andrew Walker
#3 - Colin Sylvia
#4 - Farren Ray
#5 - Brock McLean

2002:
#1 - Brendon Goddard
#2 - Daniel Wells
#3 - Jared Brennan
#4 - Tim Walsh
#5 - Jarrad McVeigh

2001:
#1 - Luke Hodge
#2 - Luke Ball
#3 - Chris Judd
#4 - Graham Polak
#5 - Xavier Clark

I count 4 that probably shouldn't have been top 5 picks: Walker, Brennan, Walsh and Clark. Even then, it's too early to tell on Walker, and Brennan has actually shown something in between injuries, which can't be predicted. The rest of the players to this point have at least justified their top 5 status in their respective drafts.

That's not to say that they're necessarily in the top 5 players drafted, but more that it was justified taking them in the top 5. Nobody can predict all the smokeys, and like we did with Rusling, even if you rate an unknown very highly, you won't draft him that high.

4 out of 20 is only a 20% chance of getting it wrong. That's an 80% success rate. That means that with 2 picks in the top 5, the chances of missing out on at least one star are remote.

Danny Roach was 6 years ago, and even then, he was pick #7, which seems to have a curse on it. The top 5 was Josh Fraser, Paul Hasleby, Aaron Fiora, Matthew Pavlich and Leigh Brown. At worst, if we had;ve stayed in the top 5 we would've ended up with Fiora, who's still 10x better than Danny Roach.

People have got to stop being so paranoid. As long as we don't pick some kid out of nowhere in the top 5 because we think we're smarter than everyone then we'll be fine.

And that's something I don't think will happen with Hine in charge - he handled the last draft perfectly. I already spoke about the waiting on Rusling thing, but taking him before Essendon had a chance with their third round pick. Apparently Malthouse wanted to take Ben Davies at #55, and Hine assured him that he would still be available in the rookie draft and so we took Iacobucci there instead, and picked up Davies, as expected, in the rookie draft.

Hine looks good so far. I have faith in him. You should all too.

Vinnie, all things being equal, I'd be very optimistic about getting something with Pick 5. However, we unanimously agree on here that we didn't really deserve Pick 2, and it's due time that the club snared an established player. We've done enough recruiting in the last two drafts to set us up for another tilt in the next 3-4 years, while we still have Buckley, Rocca, Clement, Burns and Wakelin. After the disappointment of missing out one Nick Stevens, however I agree with the decision not to part with Didak, it would do a lot for the morale of the club if we were to snare Power.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep pick 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back