Lingsface

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Listening yesterday King was suggesting cutting size of squads so the top guys can get up to 1.5 million, he suggested cutting 5 players.

I think this is a stupid idea and will lower the quality of a side, the players that have been in the 2’s make the team stronger. The pressure put on for performance by players in the 2’s elevate the sides ability on game day and on the track.

I am a firm believer every man in the squad should get a premiership medal. Some of our players that missed out last year played pivotal roles on the field in our team at certain times of the year, also picking Parfitt for the sub was not an easy decision and because of that the competition was very high so everyone was giving there best efforts till the last day.

Listening yesterday King was suggesting cutting size of squads so the top guys can get up to 1.5 million, he suggested cutting 5 players.

I think this is a stupid idea and will lower the quality of a side, the players that have been in the 2’s make the team stronger. The pressure put on for performance by players in the 2’s elevate the sides ability on game day and on the track.

I am a firm believer every man in the squad should get a premiership medal. Some of our players that missed out last year played pivotal roles on the field in our team at certain times of the year, also picking Parfitt for the sub was not an easy decision and because of that the competition was very high so everyone was giving there best efforts till the last day.
Is there a dumber idea out there? Seriously, why not just spit in fan’s faces and make them say thank you. What a fool.

David King says :think:............ Nah >

simpsons-leaving.gif

I don't understand what the point of this change would be.

It's not like the top players are going to go to other sports for more money.

By the same token why not just pay the top players 10% less and maybe have a few less shit gambling ads during games?

It's not like the top players can leave to go and play in the NBA for more money.
Luke Jackson would be playing NBA if he could be he's nowhere near good enough and wouldn't stand a chance.

Where the hell are they going to go?
Nowhere that's where

The top players can't do any other sport besides AFL.

All of them would happily play for half of what they get now.

If Pendlebury was good enough for the NBA he'd be there but was never even close.

Rachelle would be in the EPL if he was good enough but he was never even close

Seriously we should cut their pay 10% and in return give us less shit gambling ads

A 10% pay cut for the top players would have absolutely no impact on the standard of the comp and no impact on their individual lifestyles

Last edited:
Wasnt there a stage pre-covid where Essendon had to name an injured player as an emergency as they didn't have enough fit players to fill out the 25 man team sheet at the time?

If that happened with the lists the size they are, wouldn't reducing it be sheer stupidity?

Oh wait, King suggested it. Yep, stupidity is to be expected.

Wasnt there a stage pre-covid where Essendon had to name an injured player as an emergency as they didn't have enough fit players to fill out the 25 man team sheet at the time?

If that happened with the lists the size they are, wouldn't reducing it be sheer stupidity?

Oh wait, King suggested it. Yep, stupidity is to be expected.
Yes exactly, I don’t mind king but this wasn’t a good suggestion.

TBH I don't know why the AFL mandate list sizes. If a club wants to spread their salary cap over just 35 players or another club wants to spread their cap over 60 players then that should be fine.

At the very least, it'll stop shit clubs overpaying their bog ordinary players as they have to currently.

TBH I don't know why the AFL mandate list sizes. If a club wants to spread their salary cap over just 35 players or another club wants to spread their cap over 60 players then that should be fine.

At the very least, it'll stop s**t clubs overpaying their bog ordinary players as they have to currently.

Yeah I agree with this. Clubs in a rebuild with money to burn can take a punt on another 3 or 4 kids, clubs in contention could shed their bottom 3 or 4 and fit another best 22 player in.

Would introduce an exciting new element to list management.

At the very least, it'll stop s**t clubs overpaying their bog ordinary players as they have to currently.
This is actually a good solution to a problem I've seen over a long time caused by the salary cap floor. It's usually the bottom clubs who have salary cap issues due to having to pay spuds good money then when the kids get older and need a pay rise the club is out of money. It would also be a good equalisation tool for clubs down the bottom to put a bunch of speculative kids on the list in the hope that a couple will improve. I think there should be some guidelines like a minimum of 35 and a maximum of say 45-50 but your idea has merit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of every club having ONE marquee/franchise player whose annual salary is paid outside the salary cup (provided the club drafted said player and not poached from another)
This is a good way for the big clubs to have another advantage over the smaller ones. Not sure what benefit it brings to the comp to be honest.

This is a good way for the big clubs to have another advantage over the smaller ones. Not sure what benefit it brings to the comp to be honest.

If said marquee/franchise player payment/salary wage was capped to a set and even amount for all clubs, I don't see what the problem is.

If said marquee/franchise player payment/salary wage was capped to a set and even amount for all clubs, I don't see what the problem is.
If you’re putting it at the same amount for all clubs, why not just keep the salary cap or raise it slightly then?

Sometimes the "star" players can come from your bottom 5. Dane Swan only played 30-odd games in first 4 seasons before breaking out. Would he have been given 4 years with a reduced list size?

Go the other way - Full communist salary cap.

Every player on the list gets 100k locked in. Then you get $10000 per senior game played. Club BnF winner gets an extra 400k. Runner up gets 300k and so on.... Same with goal kicking. Win the Brownlow? Get an extra million. Same deal with the Coleman.

Turn everything into an incentive and see who REALLY wants to be the best.

Time to make glorious entertainment for fandom.

David King is becoming like what was once said about Sepp Blatter.

For every 50 ideas he has, 51 are bad.

Why do morons keep suggesting smaller lists? Every year you see clubs stretched through injury. For me I’d actually like bigger lists, or at least bigger rookie lists.

I actually think every player listed for a clubs VFL side should be eligible for selection and be able to be put on a clubs list if someone either retires or put on long term injury list.

I think Kingy sees other sports in the US where big players make heaps in relation to other players. As another poster mentioned, it isn’t like a top player is going anywhere else to another league if they aren’t being paid more.

Go the other way - Full communist salary cap.

Every player on the list gets 100k locked in. Then you get $10000 per senior game played. Club BnF winner gets an extra 400k. Runner up gets 300k and so on.... Same with goal kicking. Win the Brownlow? Get an extra million. Same deal with the Coleman.

Turn everything into an incentive and see who REALLY wants to be the best.

Time to make glorious entertainment for fandom.

If it was full communist it wouldn’t even have incentives, but I like your idea.

How about only team based incentives? That would fit the team ethos. All individual awards are banned.

Like this idea.

Clubs like North wouldn’t have to load up and overpay their middling players to meet the cap floor, and could instead invest in bringing more juniors onto the list. More experienced sides contending with more stars could reduce their list to keep their stars happy and have a team for the now. Then as they look to reset or rebuild they can expand their list when necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kings suggestion of giving more to top players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back